Luc Bourdon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
He isn't Dion because he's faster, and doesn't hit as hard as Dion. Dion is like Scott Stevens, while Bourdon is more like Rob Blake IMO(and don't bring up the fact that stevens didn't win the norris, and blake did, because stevens was better than blake). Would I rather have Bourdon than Staal? Yes, because I feel he is more talented, and will become the better player than Staal in the future. Is Bourdon better than Staal right now? No, because Staal is so mature for his age he just looks like a veteran captain out there. Is Bourdon better on defense than Staal? No Staal is very smart in the defensive end, but some of you make Bourdon look like a piece of **** on the defensive end which he is not.

Phanuthier*

jtuzzi said:
I would say no.

Phaneuf
Suter
Johnson
Meszaros
Seabrook

are 5 off the top of my head

Bourdon is EASILY top 10, but not 5.
I'd have to see the list, but if you include Pitkanan, then I'd have Shea Weber, Staal and Parent, Erik Johnson (I think he is on JJ's level), he's just squeezing into the top 10 IMO. I would have him on par with Braydon Coburn and Cam Barker though.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
clay said:
I really find it funny how so many people hate on Bourdon just because the Canucks own him.
How is pointing out perfectly obvious flaws in a prospect synonymous with hating on the Canucks? Bourdon is still young and he can obviously improve his game by leaps and bounds but it's ridiculous to say he is a bigger, more aggressive Niedermayer and that he's a better prospect than Phaneuf.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Cerebral said:
How is pointing out perfectly obvious flaws in a prospect synonymous with hating on the Canucks? Bourdon is still young and he can obviously improve his game by leaps and bounds but it's ridiculous to say he is a bigger, more aggressive Niedermayer and that he's a better prospect than Phaneuf.

I don't see anything wrong with that comparison considering all the tools that he has right now. The problem is that is it possible the stars will align and everything will work out perfectly for him to become such a player.
When you judge on the potential of a player, you always look at the upper most limit, you don't look at him and all the tools that he has and say mmm he will probably end up like Wade Belak.

Phanuthier*

arttk said:
When you judge on the potential of a player, you always look at the upper most limit,
I don't. If I did, Robbie Schremp would be the top prospect in the world.

If you ask me, Luc Bourdon will land somewhere between Derek Morris and Jovonoski. Marc Staal between a Mattius Ohlund and a Chris Pronger and Ryan Parent an Adam Foote to Robyn Regehr. Jack Johnson I see as a Derian Hatcher, and Erik Johnson a Chris Pronger.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Jesus christ, you're the same fans who where complaining and trying to convince us that Phaneuf was better than Suter aren't you? Well he is better than Suter, but before Dion hit the NHL there was talk of Suter being better, and all I remember is flames fans spazzing and saying just watch.

As a Canucks fan I'll say it just watch. This kid is already so agressive, and owns good offensive arsenals. He is in no way a Derek Morris who isn't as agressive as him. The only thing he has on Bourdon is his huge shot, everything else aside they're nothing alike. Like I said he's a faster, but smaller version of Rob Blake.

If Bourdon was on the Rangers, and Staal on the Canucks people would be raving how much potential Bourdon owns, and how the Canucks made yet another safe pick when there was a player with far more potential. Staal is better than Bourdon at the moment, but in the future he wont be.

Phanuthier*

Russian_fanatic said:
Jesus christ, you're the same fans who where complaining and trying to convince us that Phaneuf was better than Suter aren't you? Well he is better than Suter, but before Dion hit the NHL there was talk of Suter being better, and all I remember is flames fans spazzing and saying just watch.
Why are you proving that (I?) was right?

Doesn't that just add brownie points to my argument?

(BTW, I've never argued Dion Phanef would be better then Ryan Suter.)

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
No it just says the player who plays a safer style doesn't turn out to be the better player. You guys make Jovanovski AND Bourdon look like such bad players. Last time I checked Jovo is a top 10 defenseman in the NHL and a #1 defenseman on most teams. Bourdon isn't bad in his own zone either, but he isn't Ohlund i, but he isn't Gonchar either.

I don't think Bourdon will be better than Dion, because really IMO he's a franchise player who you build your team around. I can see Bourdon as a elite #1 defenseman in the NHL, but not a franchise player. I also will say that Bourdon will be better than Staal.

Phanuthier*

Russian_fanatic said:
No it just says the player who plays a safer style doesn't turn out to be the better player.
But Dion Phaneuf is a safe player

Russian_fanatic said:
Last time I checked Jovo is a top 10 defenseman in the NHL and a #1 defenseman on most teams.
Fair enough, I don't. I wouldn't hesitate to call him a No 1 or a top 30 defenseman though.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Phanuthier said:
But Dion Phaneuf is a safe player

Fair enough, I don't. I wouldn't hesitate to call him a No 1 or a top 30 defenseman though.

Since when? Dion isn't a safe player, he never had all this potential before he came out of the draft, and it was his hard work and dedication that is making him the player he is today. Bourdon also put on alot of muscle in the off season to fill out his body, and he's pretty much a monster right now. They're not comparable players like I said, but there stories may as well be.

Phanuthier*

Russian_fanatic said:
Since when?
Since always. Phaneuf plays a disciplined and safe game. He is positionally sound, and doesn't take risky plays. Bourdon does. That's the biggest (and only) knock against Luc Bourdon.

Russian_fanatic said:
he never had all this potential before he came out of the draft, and it was his hard work and dedication that is making him the player he is today.
Maybe not to this level, but many did think he would be close. As a 17 year old, he outplayed and moved past 20 year old stud defenseman Jeff Woywitka and Doug Lynch of the Red Deer Rebels to become Red Deer's top defenseman, and got all the top assignments in the playoffs - again, as a 17 years old, and again, got the top assignments above Woywitka and Lynch.

His learning curve was very steep, from January of his draft year until now.

Towelie*

I looked up "pointless argument" and it brought me to this thread.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Phanuthier said:
Since always. Phaneuf plays a disciplined and safe game. He is positionally sound, and doesn't take risky plays. Bourdon does. That's the biggest (and only) knock against Luc Bourdon.

Maybe not to this level, but many did think he would be close. As a 17 year old, he outplayed and moved past 20 year old stud defenseman Jeff Woywitka and Doug Lynch of the Red Deer Rebels to become Red Deer's top defenseman, and got all the top assignments in the playoffs - again, as a 17 years old, and again, got the top assignments above Woywitka and Lynch.

His learning curve was very steep, from January of his draft year until now.

Exactly no one realized his potential, but the deal with Bourdon was that people realized his potential and automatically assume he's going to be a high risk, high reward type player. But Bourdon could have made the team this year, but the Canucks decided that he needed to learn to dominate the Q, before he can dominate the NHL. Bourdon isn't a safe pick, but he isn't exactly someone whose going to screw up if he doesn't hit his potential.

AgentNaslund*

RallyKiller said:
I don't hate him because he's a canuck, I just think it's dumb to compare him to Phanuef, or definitively say he's one of the top 3 d prospects in the world..

to tell u the truth, I think its Pejorative Slured hes compared to Phaneuf. Personally, I doubt he turn anything into Phaneuf. Hes compared to Phaneuf because Pierre McGuire compared him to Phaneuf.

Canucks fan first heard that, and laughed out loud.

Then came pre season, were CAnuck fans had a chance to see this guy play in action. They were no loling no more because this guy makes open ice hits like Dion Phaneuf. Thats why hes compared to Dion Phaneuf. Open ice hits, this guy makes monster hits, and yes a igree with you. He didnt hit as much as I would see during the WJC.

btw, its no brainer some of us are biased towards luc Bourdon. Everyone is biased, and we've been quite humble about our prospects. Not counting the 06 prospects, its no surprise some people think hes top 3 defencemen. Hes the only defencemen, that have the combination of skating speed, hitting, and offence. Marc Staal have size, but not alot of speed and limited offence. The same with Parent, as hes a stay at home defence. CAm Barker, have offence and size, but hes not as fast as Bourdon, and he does not hit as much him.

Jack Johnson is more gifted then Bourdon, but hes only 6 feet tall. He does not have the size and speed of Bourdon.

so yea. This biased Canuck fan have finished raving about Bourdon.

In the end 90% of us do not expect Bourdon to become a Phaneuf.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
AgentNaslund said:
btw, its no brainer some of us are biased towards luc Bourdon. Everyone is biased, and we've been quite humble about our prospects. Not counting the 06 prospects, its no surprise some people think hes top 3 defencemen. Hes the only defencemen, that have the combination of skating speed, hitting, and offence. Marc Staal have size, but not alot of speed and limited offence. The same with Parent, as hes a stay at home defence. CAm Barker, have offence and size, but hes not as fast as Bourdon, and he does not hit as much him.

Jack Johnson is more gifted then Bourdon, but hes only 6 feet tall. He does not have the size and speed of Bourdon.
this the the point I stop listening. Marc Staal doesn't have speed? Ryan Parent doesn't have speed? just because they didn't skate all over the place at the WJC doesn't mean they don't have speed.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
-31- said:
this the the point I stop listening. Marc Staal doesn't have speed? Ryan Parent doesn't have speed? just because they didn't skate all over the place at the WJC doesn't mean they don't have speed.

I stopped listening when he said Jack Johnson isn't as fast. :biglaugh:

Phanuthier*

AgentNaslund said:
Then came pre season, were CAnuck fans had a chance to see this guy play in action. They were no loling no more because this guy makes open ice hits like Dion Phaneuf. Thats why hes compared to Dion Phaneuf. Open ice hits, this guy makes monster hits, and yes a igree with you. He didnt hit as much as I would see during the WJC.
Well another great open-ice hitter who came out of the QMJHL and led all defenseman in scoring was Denis Gauthier. I think Bourdon has more offensive jam then Gauthier does, though, but Gauthier is a distinct possibility.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I'm a Canucks fan and I agree with the Jovanovski-like comparisons. He's physical, a great skater but thus far has shown a tendancy for some poor decisions. Of course, he's also just turned 19, he's bound to make errors. I don't think he will have as high an offensive upside as Jovo, but I feel he will be better defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad