Luc Bourdon

Status
Not open for further replies.

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
Upside...#1 easily, some scouts have said he could turn into the next Phaneuf(who wasn't seen as a 9A when drafted...)

He hits great, is a great skater whos solid on his skates. I'm a Canucks fan, and got to see him a few times, he WILL be playing on the Canucks next season, no question.

My comparison would be Mattias Ohlund, except faster/better skater, and a bit better offensively(then again Ohlund doesn't get as many chances offensivly in Vancouver)

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
KStewart113 said:
Upside...#1 easily, some scouts have said he could turn into the next Phaneuf(who wasn't seen as a 9A when drafted...)

He hits great, is a great skater whos solid on his skates. I'm a Canucks fan, and got to see him a few times, he WILL be playing on the Canucks next season, no question.

My comparison would be Mattias Ohlund, except faster/better skater, and a bit better offensively(then again Ohlund doesn't get as many chances offensivly in Vancouver)

Uh..what? Ive never heard that. Who are these "scouts"?

littleguybigstik

Feb 12, 2006
Bourdon looks like a young chelios. Good physical skills, nice point shot, decent passing and extremely mobile. He looked pretty quick out there, just seems to pinch a little much. But that will change as he learns to read the breakouts better.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
hes definetly a future #1 Dman put him in the same class as Staal, Suter, Barker, Corburn

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
FLYLine88 said:
Uh..what? Ive never heard that. Who are these "scouts"?

No one in particular, both he and Phaneuf are around the same size, had the same skillset at the same age, were both quite physical and were both drafted at around the same position, therefore people assumed Bourdon would also follow that same short learning curve which I don't think anyone will in a while.

Last edited:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Actually most canuck fans are torn on what he would be. While we would love for him to turn into a Phaneuf we won't hold our breath (cause players like him are rare) but that doesn't mean he doesn't have the talent and ability to do so.

I think if he puts it together he could be dominant maybe not as much as Chelios was but alot better than Derek Morris.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
as a canucks fan... he looks overrated.. he reminds me a lot of jovanovski( his defensive play and giveaways)..

he might still be a top pairing dman in the nhl.. but phaneuf?? hell no..

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Reminds me of Brad Stuart with more of a physical edge. ^ How you can compare him to Jovanovski is beyond me - but then again if Bourdon is named to every team Canada like Jovo is I wont complain. :)

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I still like the Jovo-type comparisons myself. You want to love his offensive instincts and his physical play, but there is still that loose-cannon element in his own zone sometimes. Some people won't get it, but Sheldon Souray is like that too. Scott Stevens when he was younger. Kevin Hatcher. But on the other hand, because people have been saying that for so long, Bourdon is visibly trying to concentrate a bit more and tighten up, and maybe it'll all come down to what kind of coaches he gets. He can go any way he wants to really, but he'll always be more fun to watch if he stays on the edge.

Laurentides

Jan 22, 2003
Laval
Visit site
My biggest concern about him is his play in the offensive zone. He has a real rocket of a shot but 90% of the the times he shoot it finishes on pads on players in front of him. Its almost like he's aiming for the pads.... ;)

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Laurentides said:
My biggest concern about him is his play in the offensive zone. He has a real rocket of a shot but 90% of the the times he shoot it finishes on pads on players in front of him. Its almost like he's aiming for the pads.... ;)
Players that try too hard to get a shot on net often have this happen. As they age, they realize it's more important to get the shot around the shot blockers than to get it on net (that way you at least get it deep, blocked shots from the point often lead to odd man rushes against). You'd be shocked how many fans don't even realize this. Constantly people are complaining that such and such defenseman can't hit the net, when often it's obvious the guy just wanted to get it past the forward covering him.

Assuming he learns to value defense first, he'll learn this as he matures. But it does illustrate an interesting point, which does he value more? If he doesn't mature to play more of a steady defense first game, the Jovo/Souray comparison could become valid.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Reminds me of Brad Stuart with more of a physical edge. ^ How you can compare him to Jovanovski is beyond me - but then again if Bourdon is named to every team Canada like Jovo is I wont complain. :)

how? because he plays exactly like him.. i've seen him run around way too much in his own end during the wjcs this year..
and then make a great offensive gamble that resulted positively for the team..

his partner letang had way better defensive positioning but obviously lacked bourdon's physical attributes..

rite now hes on pace to become a similiar player to jovanovski.... which is very average on defence..

if he develops his defensive game.. then yes he deserves the #1 dman hype.. but believing that he will be the next phaneuf.. is not very realistic..

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Being a Canuck fan, I may have some homerism in me, but he's good enough that he almost made the team at camp, and *was* (until an injury) an option to sign and bring in for #4 minutes on the Canucks instead of trading assets for a dman. Don't believe me you can read the Province a little while ago. Nonis was even quoted as saying, "nothing is impossible."

Though, I still see flaws in his game. He takes himself out of the play for a hit too much, and would definitely get burned in the NHL, though I still don't think that'll stop him from playing here next year.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I might be the one of the only ones but I'm not extremely high on Luc Bourdon. He has an impressive array of skills but he really reminds me of Jovanovski and McCabe with some of his actions on the ice. A lot of people were raving about his performance in the WJC's but I saw him make a lot of subtle mistakes that will be magnified tenfold at the NHL level. I question his overall hockey sense and he seems prone to making some strange mistakes when they're just not neccessary.

Don't get me wrong, he'll be a solid NHL player and an awesome selection at #10 overall for the Canucks. However, I don't think he has this Phaneuf-like potential that some are seeing in him. I expect him to develop into a Jovanovski-type defenceman with a bit less offensive upside (which, once again, is fantastic for where he was selected in the draft). Along with that, I also expect him to make a lot of unforced errors that make Canucks fans cringe at times. I don't think he'll ever have the decision-making ability or the natural hockey sense to develop into a dominant #1 like Phaneuf will be.

Phanuthier*

Exactly what Cerebral said. jtuzzi also has a pretty valid comparison, Derek Morris with a mean streak.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
xtra said:
I think if he puts it together he could be dominant maybe not as much as Chelios was but alot better than Derek Morris.
But remember, Derek Morris was also supposed to be better than, well, Derek Morris.

With Yandle around Bourdon is still the #2 d-man on his junior team though. ;)

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Alberta Yote said:
But remember, Derek Morris was also supposed to be better than, well, Derek Morris.

With Yandle around Bourdon is still the #2 d-man on his junior team though. ;)

haha, good one. Bourdon is definately a stud. Although I would have rather seen the Canucks pick Staal, there is no doubt in my mind that Bourdon is going to be a star in the NHL for a long time. I would compare him to a bigger more aggressive (good and bad) Scott Niedermayer.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
clay said:
haha, good one. Bourdon is definately a stud. Although I would have rather seen the Canucks pick Staal, there is no doubt in my mind that Bourdon is going to be a star in the NHL for a long time. I would compare him to a bigger more aggressive (good and bad) Scott Niedermayer.
I don't really think Scott Niedermayer is a good projection for Luc Bourdon. Niedermayer is such a fantastic player because of his effortless stride and his great positioning in the defensive zone. Bourdon, from what I've seen, doesn't have the positioning of a guy like Niedermayer and tries to make up for it with the tough, physical side of his game. It works for him at times but he gets caught out of position quite a bit (like a Jovanovski or McCabe) and that's a definite flaw in his game.

He has a great physical package to offer but I'm not sold on his hockey sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->