LTIR and the salary cap?

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Hi all. On the DRW boards we have had quite a few questions about how ltir gets applied and when it does because we still have 1 rfa prospect to sign. So my question is does anybody around here know the exact details? The red wings will be putting Johan Franzen on LTIR due to his PCS injury. We as fans are all trying to figure out how it gives us wiggle room. Also Johan was ltir'd the last 2 years as well and did not play in any games if yu need that information as well.

I'd also like to preemptively give a thanks to any who understand this and take the time to give a answer :) .

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
LTIR gives your ability to exceed the cap by the amount replacing that players salary would allow you to exceed it.

It depends how close the team is to the cap. Many teams will manoeuvre around players to get right to the cap before placing someone on LTIR. Baisically if a player has a $4mm cap hit and the team is at the cap, they can exceed the cap by $4mm while said player is on LTIR. If a team has $1mm in cap space when the player is placed on LTIR, they would only be allowed to exceed the cap by $3mm while said player is on LTIR.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Although teams get cap relief for injuries players, it may (and usually does) affect when a team can pay it's Performance Bonuses. Example will be the Leafs...they are carrying over 2.8m in PB from last year due the fact that Lupul and Horton were put on LTIR last season.
Leafs have potentially 4.5m in PB this season and they really don't want to carry that figure due to the upcoming expensive signings of Matthews and Marner in 2019/20. As a result they might/likely will carry Horton's 5.25m cap hit on the roster year as part of the 79.5 cap.
So this years cap will likely consist of Horton 5.25m, last year PB of 2.8m and this seasons estimate 4.5m PB.
In 2019/20 Horton can be played on LTIR as the Leafs will likely only have about ,5m in Performance Bonuses because their expensive big bonuses players from previous years will be on regular contracts not ELC.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
If a player (Franzen) does not play any games in the prior season does that affect how a team has to juggle the cap numbers at the start of the season?

I think the wings board as a whole understand the gist of maximizing LTIR cap space. (Get the cap as high as possible, then place Franzen on LTIR in order to get the most room from his 3.95 cap hit).

But I thought I had read previously that if the player doesn’t play any games in the previous season this opening day juggling act isn’t required. Is that wrong?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Don't understand everything about LTIR but hoping someone here can answer this for me; This is available for all teams right? I wonder if it would ever come that we see a player be out for the season and he could be put on LTIR. This would help a lot of teams I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad