Loyst21's mock draft... just read it

loyst21

Jun 24, 2006
Windsor, ON
I'm sure I have absolutely no credibility on this message board, I do not host my own prospect website and I really only watch the OHL closely, but I have been reading mock draft after mock draft and studying up on the prospects more than I have for any other entry draft so I feel educated enough to create my own mock. I have taken some ideas/projections that I liked from other mocks and incorporated it into my own (Katic going to COL and Aliu going to OTT).

Criticize or comment as you wish... (teams with multiple selections have their pick number in parentheses.)

1. Chicago -- Patrick Kane - C (An obvious choice for a team stocked with young talent, but lacking a pure goal scoring prospect that can play with Toews.)

2. Philadelphia -- James Van Riemsdyk - LW (At no.2 the Flyers just can't help selecting the big hulking power forward out of the USDP; JVR has all of the skills to be a star forward for the flyers while being surrounded by their young talent.)

3. Phoenix (1) -- Kyle Turris - C (Gretzky gets a gift with the Flyers reverting back to their old ways, and he snatches up the Joe Sakic clone.)

4. Los Angeles -- Karl Alzner - D (The best all-around defenseman in the draft goes to the Kings as they imagine the pairing of Jack Johnson and Alzner for years to come.)

5. Washington -- Alexei Cherepanov - RW (Another Russian prospect is lured to Washington, as they build an offensive army of Russian players)

6. Edmonton (1) -- Jakub Voracek - RW (The wishes of so badly wanting Alzner are quickly erased as the Oilers get a very smart, solid forward prospect.)

7. Columbus -- Keaton Ellerby - D (Defense wins championships, and the Blue Jackets haven't come close to one, so they select an impressive defender in Ellerby.)

8. Boston -- Sam Gagner - C (Boston goes with the best player available approach, and gets just that, one of the best offensive players available in the draft.)

9. St. Louis (1) -- Ryan McDonagh - D (Some could say this is a reach at no.9, but the Blues like the idea of building up the back end, and becoming a defense first team, preparing for the full arrival of goalie super prospect Marek Schwarz.)

10. Florida -- Mikael Backlund - C (No real reason for this pick, just a gut feeling. May take a few years for Backlund to find his stride in the NHL, but results could remind fans of the way Olli Jokinen broke out.)

11. Carolina -- Logan Couture - C (The Hurricanes get Couture at pick no.11, which is in preparation for Rod the Bod's eventual departure... if he ever retires.)

12. Montreal (1) -- Angelo Esposito - C (Habs fans rejoice! The city finally gets what they wish for, a hometown hero. Local newspapers promptly remove the Lecavalier rumors, and start pumping up Esposito for his short trip to Montreal.)

13. Toronto -- Lars Eller - LW (Leafs fans get upset yet again, when the Toronto scouting staff goes overseas. Leafs fans change their minds in a couple of years when Eller and Tlusty become a dynamic duo.)

14. Colorado -- Mark Katic - D (Fell massively in the rankings from the beginnign of the season, but the Avalanche scouting staff always seems to pick the right player, and without wanting to wait until pick 45 to get a solid defender they get their guy.)

15. Edmonton (2) -- Kevin Shattenkirk - D (The Oil need defense, the Oil get defense. Projected as a top 10 pick in some areas, Shattenkirk slips to Edmonton and they jump all over him.)

16. Anaheim -- Nick Petrecki - D (Mark Mitera anyone?)

17. NY Rangers -- Brandon Sutter - C (The Rangers get an excellent North American talent, that plays a two way game and may offer more scoring in the future. A one-game-a-season rivalry develops between the Rangers and Flames after Brandon is jacked from Calgary.)

18. Calgary -- Zach Hamill - C (An excellent fit into the Flames' offensive plans, getting a western boy with dynamic offensive capabilities. Sutter follows with a "Rocky-esque" press conference with a dumbfounded look on his face, stating how he can't believe Hamill was available at the 18th pick.)

19. Minnesota -- Thomas Hickey - D (In a system built on speed and skill, Minnesota gets a quick puck moving defenseman that will rack up the assists on the PP unit with Gaborik, Rolston, Demitra and Bouchard... assuming they all stay put.)

20. Pittsburgh -- Maxim Mayorov - RW (Common sense says the Pens should take a strong defensive defenseman, but with many of them being taken already the team cannot pass up the potential that Mayorov adds to Pittsburgh's offense.)

21. Phoenix (2)-- Billy Sweatt - LW (The organization that is apparently low on LW prospects, picks up one of the best available ones with Sweatt. It is always good to have a power forward with speed and playmaking abilities.)

22. Montreal (2) -- Alex Plante - D (One thing you can't teach is size and Plante has plenty of it. Plante has shown vast improvement playing for the Hitmen, yet could be considered somewhat of a reach at the selection no. 22. But the combination of size and skill is too much for the Canadiens, who are less than confident in their defensive prospects, to pass up with the 22nd overall pick.)

23. Nashville (from Philly) -- David Perron - RW (Nashville's re-acquisition of their original pick will be considered a best player available selection, as they have traded away a lot of their prospects recently. Perron has a lot to prove after not being selected in 2006 and the Predators will enjoy his continued offensive development in the QMJHL.

24. St. Louis (2) -- Max Pacioretty - LW (The Blues continue to stack up on solid, but not spectacular players with Pacioretty. Eventually Max could turn into a Tkachuk type player that St. Louis fans have enjoyed over the past few years.)

25. Vancouver -- Oscar Moller - C (The Canucks dip into familiar territory, taking a swedish born forward who is playing in the WHL. Everything seems like a fit in this situation, and Vancouver is keeping their fingers crossed that Moller is available at no.25.)

26. St. Louis (3) -- Jonathan Blum - D (At this point in the draft, teams will be picking up the players that have slipped through the cracks, and since the Blues have three first rounders it looks like they will select an excellent offensive blueliner in Blum. Could be an excellent compliment to McDonagh who was selected earlier, as well as HF's #1 rated prospect, Erik Johnson.)

27. Detroit -- Colton Gillies - C (If Gillies can get his offensive game in order, the Red Wings will end up with getting one of the steals of the '07 draft. Blessed with superb leadership qualities and above average strength, Detroit may be looking at their next long-term captain with this pick.)

28. Washington -- Logan MacMillan - C (Washington needs to get a solid/safe forward prospect that is basically a guarantee to make the NHL, and his offensive capabilites can only go up from here.)

29. Ottawa -- Akim Aliu - C (Ottawa pulls from the OHL and takes on a project this late in the 1st round, if all of the mental aspects prove untrue, the Sens finally get the toughness and the power forward that they have yearned for.)

30. Edmonton (3) -- Tommy Cross - D (To finish up the first round, the Oilers will be most likely looking to select another defensive prospect to add to their system. Cross is exactly what the Oilers are looking for and for them to get him at 30, and as their third pick of the first round, they will be happy. Since the Oilers pick again at 36, they could choose a forward here and a defenseman in the 2nd round, but if Cross is available they would be smart to choose him.)

2nd round:

31. Buffalo - Ian Cole - D (The defensive defenseman Cole, is one that that the Sabres can use in combination with their quick puck-moving rearguards.)

32. Phoenix - Brett Maclean (The Coyotes yet again turn to North America to make their 2nd round selection. Maclean offers a physical side to his game as well as some scoring touch. He has shown the ability to finish when playing with skilled players (Tavares) and could fit well on a line with Mueller in the future.)

33. Vancouver - Simon Hjalmarsson (It may seem unlikely that the Canucks go for two Swedes with their first two picks, but they have found oodles of success by going there in the past. Hjalmarsson can score--a lot--and that is exactly what the canucks are looking for. )

34. Washington - Scott Jackson - D (The Caps go against the unwritten rule that you never take a player higher in the draft the second time around, but they can't help but want what Jackson has to offer. A big defenseman at 6'4, who has scoring ability is a nice fit for Washinton's power play.)

35. Chicago - Joakim Andersson - C (The true centerman that the Blackhawks desire can be found in Andersson. An excellent playmaker, as well as a responsible forward in his own zone, Chicago steals what could have been a first round pick.)

36. Edmonton - Dana Tyrell - C (The definition of Oiler hockey is what Tyrell brings to the table. A gritty forward that can also play the wing, who is a little small, but plays a big game; reminiscent of Raffi Torres with some more offense.)

37. Columbus - Michal Repik - RW (The Jackets addressed their need for a Top 2 defenseman earlier, and now look to address scoring. At this point in the draft Repik looks like the closest thing to a future NHL 30 goal scorer and Columbus pulls the trigger.)

38. Boston - Maxime Tanguay - C (Ideally the Bruins would have Tanguay move to the wings where they need the most help. Tanguay may not be considered the best player available, but he may have the most offensive upside among all remaining players if he can put up numbers like his brother Alex.)

39. St. Louis - Stefan Legein - RW (Now that the Blues have addressed some of their defensive needs, they will look for pure scoring. Legein provides this much needed scoring ability for St. Louis, but does not shy away from the rough stuff either.)

40. Florida - Colby Cohen - D (There isn't really too much not to like about Cohen's game and his offensive style could benefit the Panthers greatly. If he continues to work on his defensive game, it is possible Colby could end up as a powerplay defenseman or at very least a good number 3 or 4 d-man. Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i could very well go here as the Panthers tend to pick similar players [Frolik, Olesz], but the need for
defensive prospects is too great.)

-->EDIT: I have come up with some modifications of a chunk of the picks in the 1st round, let me know what you think and which mock you would like better... the draft goes the same, only with these picks changed:

7. Columbus - Sam Gagner instead of Ellerby
8. Boston - Angelo Esposito instead of Gagner
9. St. Louis - Logan Couture instead of McDonagh
10. Florida - Mikael Backlund (same)
11. Carolina - Brandon Sutter instead of Couture
12. Montreal - Keaton Ellerby instead of Esposito
13. Toronto - Lars Eller (same)
14. Colorado - Ryan McDonagh instead of Katic

17. NY Rangers - Jim O'Brien instead of Sutter

2nd round-
34. Washington - Mark Katic instead of Scott Jackson

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well I know this Leaf fan likes the pick. Eller looks good and it'll be great to have him added to the Leafs prospect pool.

loyst21

Jun 24, 2006
Windsor, ON
yeah i can see that... i just think id rather see gagner in an oilers uniform rather than a bruins one though haha

theoil

Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
Gagner at 6 is nice although I prefer Voracek and Cross at 30 is exactly what I am hoping for. Not completely sold on Shattenkirk - and btw it is not true that the Oilers need dmen. We need experienced dmen. We have lots of kids and prospects.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
If Voracek somehow gets past Edmonton, there isn't a chance that Columbus passes him up. Ellerby doesn't compare by miles. Plus, I'm really not high on Ellerby at all. There are plenty better defenseman deeper down. Other than that the draft looks similiar on the whole to what I'm thinking. Personally, I see Ellerby dropping to around 20. I'm just not sure on him.

EDIT: Any chance you take a look at the second round? I'd like to see how the first ten or so picks go in that by your mind.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I get this feeling EDM will take Plante at 15 if he's still available. Just gathering from comments made by our director of player personnel.

TrustInJarmo*

Sorry bud, you don't have much of a clue when it comes to the draft, at least in the Blues case.

There is NO way in hell the Blues will pick 2 defensemen in the 1st round.

We have WAY to many defensemen who are almost NHL ready...we have a logjam and we are trying to clear that up as I type this and trade Backman for offensive talent sometime this week.

So if we are shipping a former 1st roound Defensemen because of a surplus of defensemen...i doubt we pick 2 defensemen in the 1st round.

99.9% a forward is picked with the top pick of the Blues.

loyst21

Jun 24, 2006
Windsor, ON
Sorry bud, you don't have much of a clue when it comes to the draft, at least in the Blues case.

We have WAY to many defensemen who are almost NHL ready...we have a logjam and we are trying to clear that up as I type this and trade Backman for offensive talent sometime this week.

So if we are shipping a former 1st roound Defensemen because of a surplus of defensemen...i doubt we pick 2 defensemen in the 1st round.

i guess we will see... with the loss of Scott Jackson the Blues may not be as jacked as you say they are on the blue line

Stajan Fan

Jun 20, 2003
Daysland, Alberta
Visit site

Settle down there, its only a mock draft for god sakes. If you got McDonagh and Blum, you should be happy. You can never have too many defensive prospects, and defenseman are worth more value if you guys do need to deal a couple. Plus, there are 6 more rounds where you can load up on forwards.

TrustInJarmo*

i guess we will see... with the loss of Scott Jackson the Blues may not be as jacked as you say they are on the blue line

Blum might be a possiblity. But I don't see the Blues having all 3 1st rounders going into friday night.

I see us packagin them to move up and grab a top 5 pick.

It has nothing to do with being "jacked". I don't think we are all that jacked...But we didn't even make a legit offer to Scott Jackson. The problem we have is Brewer, Jackman, McKee, Johnson, all locked up long term...and with a legit player in Polak and possiblity Woywitka among Slavador and Backman....there is just no need to waste a 1st round draft pick on a D-Man just to have him waste 3 or 4 years and not see NHL ice time. Unless we get the forward we want and we can't pass on a D-Man. (LIKE Blum). But jsut giving you a heads up...no way they use there 9 pick on a defensemen.

loyst21

Jun 24, 2006
Windsor, ON
well either way... i cant predict trades in a mock draft or i would predict that one of the oilers picks gets traded as lowe said he wants to get a "now" player in return.. st. louis could very well trade one too because they have 3 in a so called weak draft.. im just merely speculating on what i think the teams might do.. around the 8-9-10-11 spot is going to be interesting anyway, could be a few teams trading up to get someone at that point... i was just told by a guy who knows a guy in the canes organization, and supposedly they want esposito pretty bad, not couture.. we can only sit and wait!

ps. who says mcdonagh will be ready in 2-3 years? by the time all of these defensive prospects are ready i can assure you that st. louis will not have the same 6 players in their defensive core, and that can go for any team in the league over the course of a couple of years.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
If I was Timmins for the habs, I would probably prefer Johnathan Blum to Alex Plante... just my opinion... not a bad mock...I really hope we lave esposito alone though..this guy scares me.

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Moller and Hjalmarsson are nice if the Canucks can draft them - I have a feeling that they are going to be big in a few years despite their modest totals this year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This is one of the more logical mocks I've seen. If each team keeps all of their first rounders, this could hold to form. I actually like the Blues selections.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Are you kidding me?

Blues took Erik Johnson last year.. why would they blow a perfectly good pick on another defender this year when the likes of Esposito and Couture are STILL there?

Wow... just wow.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Good mock and good read.

I really don't think the Rangers will take Sutter -he reminds me of every other prospect they have. I think they will opt for Hamill, Mayorov, or Pacioretty if they are available instead.

Good work though :handclap:

CamDegs13

Nose Face Killah
Feb 9, 2007
UMass
twitter.com
I don't see Gagner slipping down to the Bruins and I don't see the Jackets choosing Ellerby over Gagner. If the Bruins stole Gagner @ number 8 I'd be the happiest ever but I wouldn't count on it. Esposito is going to Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad