Proposal: Lowered Salary Cap for Florida Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Personally I don't think this is a stupid thread as we have a league that is across two countries and multiple States and Provinces. Having no provincial or State taxes does effect what RFA's or UFA's will sign for. Sure we cannot account for every economic factor (Cost of Living, Endorsement Deals, etc) but having a level playing field that essentially compensates the NHL salary cap number per team based on basic economic factors Such as the State and Federal Tax levels would be ideal.

As an example, Kucherov just signed 9.5X8. He had 100 points last year and 85 the year before. If I am a TML GM and looking to hand out contracts based on those type of production numbers Matthews, Marner and Nylander would all be around 6 per based on production alone. Just saying that they have a very distinct advantage.

Herein lies the problem. Its not just one factor. You look at 'state taxes' and call it an easy fix, but theres so much more that goes into it. Florida drivers pay a toll on most of the roads they drive on - should they be given a credit for that?

The issue with taxing 'income tax' into account is that its just the tip of the iceberg, and if you want to account for locality based economic factors, it has to account for them all. Otherwise, i want players that play in canada to be paid in canadian dollars and not US, and i want Canadian taxes that are spent on healthcare not counted against the cap, since people in american dont have social healthcare. They're paying greater taxes for people in canada for a benefit that the people in america dont receive. Do you see how quickly the waters can get murky here?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Several states have no income tax (NHL markets in Nevada, Florida and Texas are the only affected). However, they are balanced out by higher taxes in other areas (e.g., Texas has a higher property tax system than most and Florida has a much higher Property Insurance system). The benefit isn't nearly as large as you think it is.
Nevermind that the american dollar - which everyone gets paid in - is worth approximately 31 percent more in Canada. But yeah, TAXES ARE UNFAIR.

Shhh, no one wants to hear that.....

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Nevermind that the american dollar - which everyone gets paid in - is worth approximately 31 percent more in Canada. But yeah, TAXES ARE UNFAIR.

Exchanged money is still worth the same total amount. It's just in a different currency. The 31% exchange is the very definition of irrelevant to salary discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad