Speculation: Lower level offer sheet candidates

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I feel like most people seem to focus on the star RFAs when talking about potential offersheets, but with the leaguewide cap crunch are there any realistic candidates that might be a good and likely target on a lower compensation offersheet?

upload_2020-10-21_15-46-18.png

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Of note, the following 8 teams don't have their 3rd round pick and therefore can't make the respective offer: Arizona, Buffalo, Chicago, Edmonton, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Vegas, Washington.
The following 9 teams don't have their 2nd round pick and therefore can't make the respective offer: Colorado, Columbus, Edmonton, New Jersey, NYI, NYR, San Jose, St. Louis, Tampa.

This disqualifies a lot of otherwise eligible teams from poaching players in those classes. Winnipeg could poach a player, but that would require firing Gentleman Chevy first.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I don't know that there is anyone in the super low range that you would OS. Honestly, not sure many GMs would want to "poison" their relationship with other front offices over such an acquisition unless they really have a lot of faith in whomever they are signing.

Guys like Dunn and Cernak and some others in that second round area (Strome, Dermott, Pulock, and others) have the right mix of potential to vastly outplay their cap hit, not cost much in compensation in either OS or monetary figures, and may present problems for their team to sign

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I never ever expect to see any offersheets, but shockingly enough, I am surprised nobody has sent Cernak an offer sheet.

He is exactly what pretty much every single team needs

I dont think it's as easy as "sending it" right? It would likely be a negotiation process where the team goes back and forth with the agent. They wouldn't send one until there's an agreement and hes willing to potentially proceed right?

Even if a team did send one, would we hear about it before its signed ?"

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I dont think it's as easy as "sending it" right? It would likely be a negotiation process where the team goes back and forth with the agent. They wouldn't send one until there's an agreement and hes willing to potentially proceed right?

Even if a team did send one, would we hear about it before its signed ?"
I don’t think so, because they are an RFA rather than UFA I don’t think you can negotiate. You send your offer and if it’s accepted the process continues. I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I don’t think so, because they are an RFA rather than UFA I don’t think you can negotiate. You send your offer and if it’s accepted the process continues. I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure
Pretty sure you're right, otherwise wouldn't the former be tampering? I could be wrong though, not a CBA expert by any means.

Reactions: Dache

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I’m pretty confident players can negotiate as RFAs who can sign offer sheets for the reasons described above .

The team who holds the rights can match though which advantages them. Tampering is when a player is under contract (or I believe before a player has offer sheet rights)

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
I’m pretty confident players can negotiate as RFAs who can sign offer sheets for the reasons described above .

The team who holds the rights can match though which advantages them. Tampering is when a player is under contract (or I believe before a player has offer sheet rights)

Restricted (Group 2) NHL free agents can discuss new contracts with other teams beginning on the day after that season's entry draft, which is also the deadline for a team to make a qualifying offer

Reactions: violaswallet

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You're wrong. RFA's can negotiate a contract with any NHL team that they choose. Its no different than UFA's until the actual contract is signed.

Reactions: Morrison

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
You're wrong. RFA's can negotiate a contract with any NHL team that they choose. Its no different than UFA's until the actual contract is signed.
Interesting. Like I said I could be wrong, just how I thought it was. This does make me surprised that there’s not more offer sheets then. I always assumed it was in part due to the nature of the blind offer.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I would be interested in seeing if Ethan Bear could be enticed. Min. bottom pair with 2nd pair upside...give a 2*$2.5 M a try....he is worth a second

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I would be interested in seeing if Ethan Bear could be enticed. Min. bottom pair with 2nd pair upside...give a 2*$2.5 M a try....he is worth a second

The real dick move there would be going a shade under $4,363,095 since that’s more than Klefbom’s LTIR relief yet still less than the 1st and 3rd threshold. The Oilers won’t want to lose Bear for a 2nd, but it would require even more finessing of the cap/roster to make work.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
The real dick move there would be going a shade under $4,363,095 since that’s more than Klefbom’s LTIR relief yet still less than the 1st and 3rd threshold. The Oilers won’t want to lose Bear for a 2nd, but it would require even more finessing of the cap/roster to make work.
You are right but The issue is he isn't anywhere near worth $4.36 M per...I can justify going to $2.5 as its ~$750K overpay on a bridge...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad