Lower Back Pain

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
I believe this one is the problem. Though I have "chicken legs", I do work them out at the gym and still have the same pain. I really need to get someone to tell me how bad my posture is when playing and go from their, or try and take a more conscious approach to it while playing. I'll be back on the ice next week and go from there.

I think all the major points have been covered but I'd like to elaborate on a few:

1. Skating posture -- Bend your knees, not your back. Your torso should be vertical when you skate. As you skate forward, your front knee bends to almost 90 degrees and your other leg pushes off behind you. Here's a pretty good description of what I mean. Beginning skaters tend to lean forward until they're almost falling forward. Make your legs do most of the work, your abs and back muscles have enough to do keeping you balanced.
2. Hydration -- Make sure you drink plenty of water before, during and after games. Much of your pain comes from a buildup of lactic acid in your muscles. When your muscles burn fuel the residue is lactic acid. If it's not flushed out you feel a burn. Water helps carry nutrients in and carry the lactic acid out.
3. Stretching -- Stretch your back before and after games. Icer mentioned the cobra yoga pose which is great for your abs. Child pose will round and stretch your lower back muscles. Stretching helps in hydrating your muscles and in squeezing out the lactic acid after your game.
4. Keep your shifts short -- It stinks when others get longer skating shifts, but if you start feeling a burn get to the bench and get some water and some rest. As your skating improves and you're in better shape you'll be able to skate longer shifts. Give it time.
5. Exercise -- You'll probably benefit more from aerobic exercise than weight training. Condition your legs through running or cycling. Using a hula hoop is actually a low impact way to improve your back strength and flexibility.

Sorry for the long winded reply, but I know how much back pain can steal from your enjoyment of a good hockey game.

Biggsy

Mar 5, 2006
Rutland/Kelowna
Make sure you stretch very well before the game and even after if its that much of a bother, and i hade the same problem i do sit ups and light weights on the excersice ball and its helped huge

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
My dad is a chiropractor, and I have experience with lower back pain myself. Both the nerve receptors and the muscles are contracting together in your lower back, causing the pain. You need to make sure you are stretching out before the games, and to relax. Perhaps you are too tense? I know when I take time off from roller blading and then get back into it, initially my back is in shock. It has a lot to do with the tiny adjustments your body makes in response to trying to keep balanced. These small twitch muscles are often under-developed in most people.

Id definitely recommend stretching more, relaxing a bit, and picking up something other than hockey to help your body. Roller blading, Swimming (if you have a heated pool somewhere) etc... Anything where your body is constantly off balance and having to adjust. Running doesn't create enough of this imbalance although its the best pure aerobic workout.

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I played for an hour today with no shifts, just a couple water breaks and my back feels great right now. I kept posture in my head the whole time, stretched before and after the game in that "cobra" pose suggested. I can't tell you all how much better I feel right now; hopefully it will continue this way for the rest of the season. Cheers all, help was appreciated.

QBOSS

Dec 10, 2004
Just as a heads up, for those of you that advocate strengthening the hamstrings...the likely scenario is that the hamstrings are too "tight" (that term is used loosely). Consequently, the Glutes are shut off or too "weak" and therefore comprimising the lower back...

So for most hockey players, because the ideal is to skate from the hips and not the knees its important to address hip mobility, flexibility, and muscle synchrony.....

Thus good range of motion in the hips should be sought. As well as adequate glute strength (in relation to the hammys), and proper firing of the corresponding hipflexor and extensor groups.

QBOSS

Dec 10, 2004
Just as a heads up, for those of you that advocate strengthening the hamstrings...the likely scenario is that the hamstrings are too "tight" (that term is used loosely). Consequently, the Glutes are shut off or too "weak" and therefore comprimising the lower back...

So for most hockey players, because the ideal is to skate from the hips and not the knees its important to address hip mobility, flexibility, and muscle synchrony.....

Thus good range of motion in the hips should be sought. As well as adequate glute strength (in relation to the hammys), and proper firing of the corresponding hipflexor and extensor groups.

Oh and xnay on the static stretching before the games...spend the time doing pendulum swings for your hips, jogging a few minutes, and waking up your neural fibers (ask MikeD)

ModSquad

Jan 26, 2005
www.modsquadhockey.com
One factor that I am surprised nobody mentioned is...

Your radius of hollow on your skates. The deeper the hollow, the more friction, and more wear and tear on your body. What ROH do you skate on? How much do you weigh? You should experiment on a shallower hollow...you will be surprised.

I have sciatica and I adjust my hollows according to ice conditions. ONce I feel the strain on my lower back/hamstrings I know that I am at too deep of a hollow.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
I'll second the folks that reccomend increasing your fitness. However, don't work your core and forget to work your legs. The root problem is that your legs aren't strong enough to maintain a good crouched skating position, so you bend at your back to compensate.

The solution for me was to work on my leg strength. More leg strength = greater ability to bend your legs = less tendency to bend at the back. Of course, while you're at the gym working on legs, it makes sense to do plenty of core exercises as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad