Low scoring winger

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
What do you do with a winger that is a great skater, creates a tonne of offence for his team mates, gets in the dirty areas, has tonnes of puck possession, sacrifices his body but is very low on goals? Feel bad for this kid who is an extremely hard worker but not putting up the points to show it.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I agree but the kid does not want to be a defenceman although he is OK the few times he has tried it He is a better forward except for the scoring part

Maybe move him to center if he's more of a set up guy, as you explained with "creating tons of chances, having possesion" and being ok at D.

Reactions: bawkbawk

aborkie

Jul 27, 2018
He's not the only one. Goal scorers have a special talent and mentality. Sometime they're not even the best skaters or shooters on their team.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
What do you do with a winger that is a great skater, creates a tonne of offence for his team mates, gets in the dirty areas, has tonnes of puck possession, sacrifices his body but is very low on goals? Feel bad for this kid who is an extremely hard worker but not putting up the points to show it.

My favorite winger is just like that. I praise him for his hard work and just give him guidance to bang a few in. He is my Zach Hyman.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
This may sound way too obvious...put him on a line with a goal scorer

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I think generally speaking, for a kid like this, the most important thing is that you reinforce that he's doing good. A good job and a pat on the back will go a long way. As for goals, some players just aren't goal scorers. Either he'll figure it out or he won't. I think as long as he knows he's doing things right, he won't be discouraged about low goal totals.

One thing you could try, if you haven't already, is when ever you see him shooting more or generate a chance for himself that results in a goal, point out what he did differently and encourage him to go out and do it again.

my 2 cents.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Sounds like a great guy to have on your line.

But if you want to increase goal scoring, consider having him 1) work on his shot and 2) play spring/summer 3on3 - running time, no whistles except for penalty shots, and lots of ice for offensive chances

ohsix is in the exact same boat, got cut from PWA1 because he can't put up points (was praised for his defensive responsibility/passing etc), was told to put up points (goals, not assists) on PWA2. Not sure what to tell him - pass and get lots of assists (for the team), or carry it and learn how to score (for himself).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad