Low cost possible solid return deals

duckman77

Dec 30, 2018
The Canucks need to upgrade the blueline, Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Gudbrandson, Stecher are worth keeping. Sure Hughes will be here at some point. Here are a couple low cost moves that could improve the D core send Goldobin to Columbus for Nutivaara similar age and salary Nutivaara is a right side D man with a zero +/-. Next send Pouliot to Montreal for one of the 2 4th round picks they have. At or just before the deadline the Canucks should take offers on Sutter, Nilsson, Stecher and Del Zotto.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
The Canucks need to upgrade the blueline, Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Gudbrandson, Stecher are worth keeping. Sure Hughes will be here at some point. Here are a couple low cost moves that could improve the D core send Goldobin to Columbus for Nutivaara similar age and salary Nutivaara is a right side D man with a zero +/-. Next send Pouliot to Montreal for one of the 2 4th round picks they have. At or just before the deadline the Canucks should take offers on Sutter, Nilsson, Stecher and Del Zotto.
Columbus has Nutivaara on a nice cheap long term deal. Why would they give that up for a Goldy?

Poo won't fetch us a pick I don't think.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

1. I'd be surprised if CBJ would give up Nutivaara for Goldobin. Though it may well be a good deal, one thing that may be considered is that trading Goldobin for a defenceman would likely decrease the already small chance of BFG ever returning to the Canucks.

2. I'm not a fan of either Pouliot or MdZ, but the extreme lack of depth on defence in Utica right now means there is essentially nobody in the pipeline to call up in case of injury. Juolevi is out for the season, Chatfield is month to month and Sautner is out indefinitely. Brisebois is fine at the AHL level but showing nothing to suggest he'd be able to play in the NHL, McEneny can do some things but after coming back from his knee injury skating isn't one of them and everybody else is on AHL deals.

That being the case, if you were to trade Pouliot or MdZ it is essential to acquire, somehow, a depth defenceman just to be able to finish the season when someone is hurt again.

One way of acquiring a depth defenceman is via waivers. The problem with that is that right now the Canucks defencemen are healthy so they have no room for another defenceman. If they wanted to use the waiver wire for depth they'd need to:

1. wait until they needed someone and hope a player is available on waivers and can get to the Canucks soon enough, or

2. claim someone ahead of time, then put him or one of their current defencemen on waivers in hopes he clears and can be held in Utica until needed by the Canucks. This would use up one of their three available contract slots.

Reactions: UticaHockey

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Brandon Manning got a third. ...

Actually it was Alex Petrovic who yesterday was traded, in part, for a 3rd round pick.

The Manning trade yesterday was Manning and Norell from the Hawks to the Oilers for Caggiula and Garrison and did not involve a draft pick. Manning had never previously been traded.

Earlier yesterday the Oilers announced they had obtained Alex Petrovic from the Panthers for a 3rd round pick and Chris Wideman. Both Wideman and Petrovic will, if not re-signed before then, become unrestricted free agents July 1, so that deal could turn out to be a rental upgrade for a 3rd.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
1. I'd be surprised if CBJ would give up Nutivaara for Goldobin. Though it may well be a good deal, one thing that may be considered is that trading Goldobin for a defenceman would likely decrease the already small chance of BFG ever returning to the Canucks.

2. I'm not a fan of either Pouliot or MdZ, but the extreme lack of depth on defence in Utica right now means there is essentially nobody in the pipeline to call up in case of injury. Juolevi is out for the season, Chatfield is month to month and Sautner is out indefinitely. Brisebois is fine at the AHL level but showing nothing to suggest he'd be able to play in the NHL, McEneny can do some things but after coming back from his knee injury skating isn't one of them and everybody else is on AHL deals.

That being the case, if you were to trade Pouliot or MdZ it is essential to acquire, somehow, a depth defenceman just to be able to finish the season when someone is hurt again.

One way of acquiring a depth defenceman is via waivers. The problem with that is that right now the Canucks defencemen are healthy so they have no room for another defenceman. If they wanted to use the waiver wire for depth they'd need to:

1. wait until they needed someone and hope a player is available on waivers and can get to the Canucks soon enough, or

2. claim someone ahead of time, then put him or one of their current defencemen on waivers in hopes he clears and can be held in Utica until needed by the Canucks. This would use up one of their three available contract slots.
Well thought out response.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
I would think Del Zoto would get something. Why is he always scratched?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I'd like to test these guys on waivers but we need the depth at this point. Zotto will be lucky to catch on somewhere on a low dollar one year deal next season. He's probably looking at a PTO at this stage. I wonder if the team is being spared his deejay skills now? A guy like Sutter must have hated that.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

In what way is Gudbranson worth keeping? He's an overpaid #6/7 fake tough guy. Not only that but he's the exact kind of player that dinosaur GMs think are real good stay at home top 4 guys (Benning, for example). He is prime trade material to a team like Edmonton for a huge overpayment.

Edler is worth keeping because he wants to stay here and he'll likely take a pay cut to do so, plus he's probably our best D and will almost certainly retire here.

Tanev would be worth trading despite being vital to this team because he's getting older now and if he has enough value it's absolutely worth it. We can try to find a RD to replace him in FA if necessary, but if a team is willing to acquire him for a 2 year rental it's worth it.

Stetcher is whatever. I like him, we won't get anything for him, and he's fine for depth D with a little bit of potential upside on a young team. Worth keeping

Hutton easily worth keeping.

Goldobin could be sent to a team at the deadline. He's on pace for 45 points and we should pump those numbers as much as possible. He's a 23 year old RFA making $816k. Should be valuable to a playoff team looking to add some scoring. Unfortunately I'm not sure if he has enough trade value to justify trading a 23 year old 40+ pt guy. Unless a contending team at the deadline wants to pay for him due to his age and contract I'd keep him.

I love Baertschi but I'd rather move him if we get the chance due to his concussion history. One more hit and he might be finished. He's a draft guy not a deadline guy so playing him with Pettersson for the rest of the year to get those numbers up would be fantastic. Goldobin can easily replace him.

Pouliot getting us a 4th is insane. There is an argument to be made for him being the worst player in the NHL, he easily clears waivers.

I would like to see Motte get something like a 4th though.

Del Zotto has 0 value. He's a 3m guy in the press box all year. I wouldn't have minded to play him in Pouliot's spot all year and give him prime time with Pettersson hoping he would find his offensive game again to move him at the deadline, but that ship has sailed.

Nilsson likely has no value unless he has a fantastic stretch. He's UFA at the end of the year so he has no draft value and nobody will want to pay to acquire him as a rental backup.

Stetcher as I mentioned earlier likely doesn't have much value and I'm happy to keep him anyway.

Sutter you're right should be shopped.

Beagle has a 15 team NTC, I would wager he would accept a trade to a deadline team and if we could get a return for him I would be absolutely ecstatic. I think Gaunce is a fine replacement for him at 1/4 the salary and with Gaudette looking like he could step into a bottom 6 role I would love to shed that salary.

Deadline:
Sutter
Tanev
Gudbranson
Motte
Goldobin - if a team is willing to pay a premium given his age/contract/FA status which is unlikely, otherwise worth keeping for sure.
Edler - If he's willing to waive. Would be great if there was an "understanding" they he might get a bonus on his next contract if he accepts a deadline deal

Draft:
Baertschi

Walking:
Pouliot
Granlund
Del Zotto
Nilsson

Not sure about returns, I'm bad at that kind of stuff and don't follow the rest of the league very much. If we could find some cap dumps we could make some serious moves. Shedding Gudbranson, potentially Beagle, potentially Tanev, MDZ, Granlund, Pouliot, and maybe Baertschi at the draft would give us quite a bit of cap space. The Eriksson contract is killer but if we can find some type of cap dump for him maybe involving Goldobin+ we could have room to sign both Stone and Karlsson and actually be a competitive team. Unfortunately we also have Schaller and Gagner to dump and it would start to get costly real fast.

Dump:
Eriksson
Gagner
Schaller
(I'm not sure what cap dumps cost, but I think flipping some of the returns for players we ship out would definitely be possible)

Sign
Edler
Karlsson
Stone
Boeser

If Benning finds it in him to do a quick turnover of the vets on this team we could be a legit team, but we have these overpaid vets because he thinks they're good so I wont hold my breath.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
He is prime trade material to a team like Edmonton for a huge overpayment.
Do you think Chia could possibly entertain the idea 0f acquiring every tough guy left in the league as a sort of Jurassic Park hockey project? That'd be both helpful to us and kind of a neat phenomenon to watch unfold in Edmonton from this distance in a schadenfreude kind of way. Nice writeup by the way.

Last edited:

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I've attempted to sign stone and karlsson in armchair GM. It is really hard to realistically make work. we still only have markstrom and Demko each for one more year before Goalie expenditures go up. Had an 83m cap.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Do you think Chia could possibly entertain the idea 0f acquiring every tough guy left in the league as a sort of Jurassic Park hockey project? That'd be both helpful to us and kind of a neat phenomenon to watch unfold in Edmonton from this distance in a schadenfreude kind of way. Nice writeup by the way.

Yes. Lets get on the phone to some GMs around the league and see if they want to do it with us. For science.

I've attempted to sign stone and karlsson in armchair GM. It is really hard to realistically make work. we still only have markstrom and Demko each for one more year before Goalie expenditures go up. Had an 83m cap.

I posted about this in the management thread, here is a link. I would probably make some revisions to it but that's a whole thing. I think both fit under the cap but it's real tight and it would need some finesse to avoid cap issues moving forward when guys like Pettersson need a new contract, but with other contracts expiring I think it would be fine, especially with guys like Baertschi potentially being moved/coming off the books, Tanev potentially being moved, Edler taking a paycut given his age etc. If you could sell Boeser on the plan and get him to

I'm real bad at armchair GMing stuff though, just foolin around and all that.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
They need to upgrade the defence and get a legit top 4 D, you need assets that you are willing to trade. Canucks don't have those assets there willing to trade. What the Canucks need to do is find a young D That is playing on the 3rd pairing on a stacked D That has a lot of potential to be a top 4 guy. Kind of like back in 2003 when the Canucks traded Schaefer for Salo. I know it's easier than done.

Guys that can be traded to get that D are Baer, Goldobin or Virtanen or Sutter. If any GM think Highly of Gaudette and think he can be a second line center. Maybe GM will trade that D for Gaudette. Hughes will here next year, Canucks need more than just Hughes.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Realistically speaking: Edler probably won't wanna move so he's gonna stick around; Tanev, if we can get a slam dunk deal sure, otherwise I'm OK with keeping him; Stecher and Hutton I doubt we can get much for them, and I think both are OK as bottom pair D men.

MDZ Pouliot Gudbranson should be ejected from the team ASAP.

Hughes should come up, if all goes according to plan, then we just gotta find some D filler, and hoping that Tryamkin will return later.

Meanwhile keep an eye on free agency and draft D men if they are BPA.

OJ? I'm not holding my breath.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->