Love for the Game Diminished

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
Yet, despite telling the convener this, he refused to change.
Many of us wanted to simply quit. But all of us felt that the kids would suffer then so we figured we'd finish the year. Several times, we'd toss his practice plan out the door and just deal with the consequences afterward (one time he actually stormed onto the ice and started berating one of the volunteers for changing his plan. I'm surprised the volunteer was able to keep a cool head and not slug him. Thankfully, he kept his temper in check and kindly told him to buzz-off).

What on earth is this guy doing supervising practices to ensure his will is carried out? Is he a retired guy with his kids grown and out of hockey? Because in our association we have a few of those on the executive and they really do seem to be the most meddling by far (although they do a lot of good as well). Anyone who is raising kids, working and volunteering doesn't have the time and probably has perspective not to. Out of curiosity how big is your association and how do you get on the executive? In mine at the AGM anyone with kids in hockey has a vote to elect, if many are unhappy you could stage a coup.

HowToHockey

I am an assistant coach for a rep team of 10 year olds. The head coach ran fun practices and NEVER shortened the bench. The parents formed a linch mob, wrote letters to the convener, tried to have him replaced and sent emails amongst themselves calling him a number of obscenities!

This was my first time being a coach so I started as an assistant, but it seems everything the head coach did and the parents HATED is the opposite of what your coach did.

The parents wanted the kids to be skated hard and worked so they improved at practices, it was like every parent knew absolutely everything about hockey and the head coach knew nothing.

I tried not to get involved, but they would often complain to me about it and they want me to be head coach next year. I think I am moving to coach house league!

Sorry about your situation but there is always next year and every kid will have a year or two in any sport where they have a bit of a downer year.

dannythekid

Nov 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I get where you are coming from, especially from the house league and kids hockey standpoint.

I have seen many teams pull players time and double shift good players to try and win house games, and that's the time when it should be about every kid getting the most of there time and the parents the most of their money. Hockey is not a cheap sport, and I can understand the parents being upset about these things.

On the flip side of that, the kids who are sore losers and the ones who are punching other kids and hitting them with sticks are usually a direct representation of their parent, which is what I see in a lot of travel teams. The parent are merciless on the coaches, the referees and even the other team's players. It's no wonder that kids are acting the way they do when they hear their mom and dad swearing at the coach and ref.

I think it all boils down to the coaches and the organization your child is in. The screening process for choosing better coaches who want to teach respect and teamwork rather than win-at-all-costs and endorsing bad habits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->