Player Discussion: Louis Domingue

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This is pure nonsense. Happened to every goalie, even to the greatest.

Not nearly as much as it happens with him. The difference between great goalies and mediocre goalies is usually just a matter of consistency. Dom just doesn't make enough of the routine saves. They get by him. A lot of the goals he gave up during that bad stretch weren't even B-grade, so I'm not sure why you're claiming defensive breakdowns were the problem. We weren't breaking down any more than other teams around the league. A lot less than most, as shown in Macho's stats.

Herbert Lewis

FL to AK Bolts fan
Mar 16, 2018
I don't understand the hate ***** that some people have with Domingue.
He only went 3 and 0 this week. Earned 2nd star of the week by the NHL, and a very good save percentage during to 3 games. I never complained about him.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He only went 3 and 0 this week. Earned 2nd star of the week by the NHL, and a very good save percentage during to 3 games. I never complained about him.
Then again, as you said, it's three games. Domingue has deserved a lot of critisism for making our team have to do twice as much work for wins by giving up multiple softies game by game.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This never happened.

I mean - your entire posting on this topic has been hyperbole and falsehoods. It's truly remarkable. We've been middle of the pack (15th) in Scoring Chances Against according to Natural Stat Trick, while being in 1st in Scoring Chances For. As far as "high danger chances"? Again we're third in the league for. Twist? We're 5th in the league against. Second in HDC% (behind Carolina, so clearly these stats aren't perfect).

Dom has had great defense in front of him. We don't allow many chances from the slot at all. We defend odd man rushes better than anyone in the league.

@Bleedred has been tracking how many "stoppable shots" goalies let in this season. It's not a super complete picture because it doesn't adjust for those "eh, maybe could've had it but that shot is going to beat you every now and then", and it doesn't adjust for 10 bell saves or anything like that (assuming it's out of the goalies control, so breakaways, 2 on 1s, etc.), but it still gives a good picture. I wish he would collect all of the data in one place (he's just putting it in the scoreboard thread on the Devils board), but one thing it shows is that Dom lets in *a lot of bad ****ing goals*.
Only because I talked about him in another post last night, I remember my count on Domingue. 15 stoppable on 50 allowed. Exactly 30% of goals allowed. Not the highest percentage, but worse than average. The thing with him is that early in the year he had a game where he allowed 7 goals and not one of them were a goal I thought he could have had. So this killed his save percentage for a while, but I didn’t have him down for many poor goals allowed at that time. Then came a point where he started racking them up, even though his save percentage got a little better. I’ve been adding a lot to his total recently. The one goal he allowed to the Avalanche the other night was one of them. I remember a couple of very early poor goals against the Panthers fairly recently off the top of my head. And I also remember a couple games where he allowed just 2 goals in a game and I put him down for stoppable goals on both of them. One of those games was against the Devils.

It’s not like Domingue played particularly well in Arizona, so I don’t see how one could argue that Tampa is ruining his play or making him look worse.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You don't get it. Yes, defense is great but the two way game of certain forwards isn't and it's been like that for years. If you think that it's particularly easy to be the Bolts Goalie, go ask Vasi who has been left out to dry many times. Yeah, Domingue has a tendency to save the impossible ones and let in the easy ones but he's been good overall and I don't think Vasi could have done much better.

Let me quote you: "it happens to every goalie," except the good ones make a save not just lie on that excuse, which is why Dom is a backup and nothing more.

second bolded: hahahhahaha

Everything is reflected is their save % considering in this case you know, every other factor is the same.

Reactions: Bleedred

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
You don't get it. Yes, defense is great but the two way game of certain forwards isn't and it's been like that for years. If you think that it's particularly easy to be the Bolts Goalie, go ask Vasi who has been left out to dry many times. Yeah, Domingue has a tendency to save the impossible ones and let in the easy ones but he's been good overall and I don't think Vasi could have done much better.
This post has aged well.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
This post has aged well.

Based on one game? Especially since we just experienced proof of the message I was trying to get across. Being the Bolts goalie is a tough job because the team, even though it probably could, hardly ever plays as disciplined as against Boston and Colorado.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Based on one game? Especially since we just experienced proof of the message I was trying to get across. Being the Bolts goalie is a tough job because the team, even though it probably could, hardly ever plays as disciplined as against Boston and Colorado.

Based on all season champ, notice the difference in their numbers?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Based on all season champ, notice the difference in their numbers?

I do...but Domingue's numbers got better and better with regular starts. It's unfair to compare them 1 by 1. Vasi, in my opinion, is the best goalie leaguewide and that's why he can deal with next to zero support in games like that. Domingue isn't a bad goalie just because he can't when asked to do it without getting regular starts for quite a while.

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
I think he's been unintentionally funny.

I was laughing when he made this three consecutive saves in OT(partly because I've half given up since he can't save them all which makes me relax watching him trying hard like this);

aaand this no stick save

Last edited:
Reactions: LightningStrikes

JDBolt

Oct 14, 2017
Something about him is so entertaining to watch to me lol. I like him as a backup. At the very least he's certainly an upgrade over Budaj
Agreed, and I think it's the show of emotion.. Vasy is pretty stone-cold when it comes to that, so the contrast makes it that much more apparent.

I think he's also much better in interviews.. I think Vasy is still unsure of his English (though it's not bad at all), and that makes him quite timid, whereas Louie seems to enjoy talking to the media, and appears like he'd talk all day.

Two very different personalities, one introverted a bit and one that wears his emotions on his sleeve. Glad to have them both!

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
It's not pretty, but Dom gets the job done.
8804533.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad