Player Discussion: Louis Domingue

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
He's a great backup, imho...considering the fact that we've had Nabokov and Budaj in the past...or Lindback...
Did he make mistakes? Yes, of course. But he's excusable only because he's to face 40-45 shots every single night. And so it can happen that Dom makes a bad save sometimes.

Reactions: LonLon Lei

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
His job is to stop enough pucks that it gives us a chance to win.
He has given up a freebie almost every game but we have been winning most of the time so I would say he is doing his job.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The job of a backup is more or less to not allow bad goals.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
He's good for a softie per game but he also makes ten bell saves in pretty much every game. I guess that's why he isn't a starter.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I've seen Lindback being mentioned in GDTs, they're not in the same stratosphere. You could take a bad goal by any goalie and say "shades of Lindback" or whatever, but let's not get carried away with this obviously bad comparison. Dom can let in a head scratcher here or there, but he can bounce back strong.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I've seen Lindback being mentioned in GDTs, they're not in the same stratosphere. You could take a bad goal by any goalie and say "shades of Lindback" or whatever, but let's not get carried away with this obviously bad comparison. Dom can let in a head scratcher here or there, but he can bounce back strong.

Not saying Domingue is like Lindback or that Lindback wasn't as bad as his numbers but the difference in the defenses in front of the two is drastic. Lindback had a still very inconsistent Hedman, a declining Carle and a bunch of other crap. Domingue has 5 guys that have been top pair defenders in their career and one of the top young defenders in the league.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I used the Lindback comparison, not to say the two were alike, but as evidence that the team has a history of playing poorly when our goalie is not controlling his rebounds, which Domingue has been guilty of on his bad nights.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Not saying Domingue is like Lindback or that Lindback wasn't as bad as his numbers but the difference in the defenses in front of the two is drastic. Lindback had a still very inconsistent Hedman, a declining Carle and a bunch of other crap. Domingue has 5 guys that have been top pair defenders in their career and one of the top young defenders in the league.

Lindback is the worst goalie to play in the NHL the last 10 years or so. He's downright terrible and always was. He's just big and that's all. Couldn't stop a beach ball.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
However bad Domingue has been, he's still so much better than Budaj. He's very leaky right now and overworked though
Yeah it isn't exactly rare to see a backup shit the bed when a starter gets injured. That's why they are backups.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
He needs a rest. He has done well since Vasi went down but last night brought back some flash backs of Smellis era goaltending.

Give Ingrahm a game. Can’t be worse than last nights effort right?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's been bad a lot more than just last night. I do think the workload has something to do with it, but not everything. He had a good run when he got here, and to start this season, but it appears the clock has struck midnight and now we're seeing the reasons he got cut by the worst team in the league.

His numbers resemble a lot of guys who we think of as worse than him. It's not like Budaj was giving up 5 and 6 per game. Being a bad goalie is more like 3 and 4 per game, and Dom is pretty much in that window now.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
He's been bad a lot more than just last night. I do think the workload has something to do with it, but not everything. He had a good run when he got here, and to start this season, but it appears the clock has struck midnight and now we're seeing the reasons he got cut by the worst team in the league.

His numbers resemble a lot of guys who we think of as worse than him. It's not like Budaj was giving up 5 and 6 per game. Being a bad goalie is more like 3 and 4 per game, and Dom is pretty much in that window now.
Yep. His 13 starts this season are also a pretty good sample size now. 89.9% and 3.25 GAA on a stacked team with Norris winner Hedman, McDonagh and Stralman in front of him. This also means on average, we have to score at least 4 goals to win a game with him in net. We are currently 1st in the entire NHL with 98 goals scored. But that's a 3.77 GFA - only slightly above his GAA.

Crazy thing is, he makes that one highlight reel save every other game only to let in the next two harmless shots after. And he gives up rebounds like crazy. Hope they keep working on improving his rebounds at least.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Anders Lindback
GAA 2.90 save % .902
GAA 2.90 save % .891

Louis Domingue
GAA 2.89 save % .914
GAA 3.25 save % .899

Team GF

Lindback would've been a 30 game winner with this team and the goal support they are giving.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yep. His 13 starts this season are also a pretty good sample size now. 89.9% and 3.25 GAA on a stacked team with Norris winner Hedman, McDonagh and Stralman in front of him. This also means on average, we have to score at least 4 goals to win a game with him in net. We are currently 1st in the entire NHL with 98 goals scored. But that's a 3.77 GFA - only slightly above his GAA.

Crazy thing is, he makes that one highlight reel save every other game only to let in the next two harmless shots after. And he gives up rebounds like crazy. Hope they keep working on improving his rebounds at least

That is an exact description of Anders Lindback. As terrible as Lindback was, that MFer could make a highlight reel save like nobody's business. It was the B-grade chances you had to worry about with him.

As a back-up, I think Dom is better than Lindback. As a starter, I think they're in the same tier. Also keep in mind Lindback didn't have the benefit of prime Hedman + McDonagh.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
That is an exact description of Anders Lindback. As terrible as Lindback was, that MFer could make a highlight reel save like nobody's business. It was the B-grade chances you had to worry about with him.

As a back-up, I think Dom is better than Lindback. As a starter, I think they're in the same tier. Also keep in mind Lindback didn't have the benefit of prime Hedman + McDonagh.
So true had to go through a nice trip down memory lane of Lindbacks saves. I really thought he was gonna be our starter for a long time

Probably my favorite Lindback save

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad