Half-Assed GDT: Louie vs. Gritty

Discussion in 'St. Louis Blues' started by Lancer, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueOil

BlueOil "well-informed"

hopefully lil hextall's performance last night gives b-rub more confidence in starting him in more situations. gave him as stacked a deck as possible and he took the house. will be interesting to see if he can continue versus better competition.

allen will still get most starts, but it was refreshing to see them give the kid a chance.

still quite messy defensively last night, but they got a w at least.

cardinalnation likes this.
  2. Saint Loser

Saint Loser "(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS

Ok! So here's what we have!!

River Jordan
    Vovavolga
    Blue Magoon
    Rhine O'Reilly
    Blue Barube
    The Berube Danube
    The Dunnube (I like The Dunnube)
    The Schwartz Swamp
    Yukon Schwartz (I like this one much better)
    Thomas Thames
    The Elbowmeester
    The Kourou River
    The Angelo
    Brayden Seine
    Brayden Senne (gonna have to go with the first one)
    Blaise River

This is a good list!!

3. CoMoBlues

CoMoBlues Registered User

Home Page:
    Jamie Rivers would be proud.

4. BlueDream

BlueDream Registered User

Funny thing is Allen is 28 and has proven nothing yet either.

Well actually, he's proven that he sucks. But there are people who still think he's about to breakout.

Right now, if Binnington can continue this, he should at least have a spot on the team as next year's backup goalie. And there's value in that. Hutton, Elliott, etc. A good backup can contribute a lot to a team. We will just need to do something about the starter.

So yes I'm going to hope that Binnington can prove something here. That is more important than a draft pick right now.

STLomacneko likes this.
  5. Saint Loser

Saint Loser "(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS

If Binnington does not get the start tonight, then the Berube has no business coaching at all.

6. Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi Lead Hockey Lackey Sponsor

Can you show me one person who thinks this?

TruBlu likes this.
  7. HerpaDerp

HerpaDerp Lord

As down as I have been on Allen I fully expect the Blues to trade him / whatever team he ends up on next to be a fantastic goalie. Thats just how things go.

CaliBlues710 likes this.
  8. BlueDream

BlueDream Registered User

Mike Liut has made posts about it. I hate to single him out because there are others.

Just read the GDTs. Allen will go on a hot streak and there are posts like "maybe he's finally turned the corner."

He still has fans on Twitter too. I hate our fanbase on Twitter so I hate to give them any attention but yeah. He still has believers. It's not the entire fanbase that is against him.

9. Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi Lead Hockey Lackey Sponsor

Why do I have to be 'for' or 'against' him? "Turning the corner" to me just means that he is getting to his best level after struggling at below his baseline. I don't believe there is a single poster on this board (why does it matter what someone says on Twitter, when we're having THIS conversation HERE?) that thinks Allen is about to 'breakout'.

I want to Blues to get a different starting goalie next year, but I am not 'for' or 'against' Allen. I just don't think he's a good enough option. But I also still hope that he surprises me and DOES play really well. Yet I've been called an Allen 'fanboy' or delusional. I think pretty much everyone here thinks Allen is not good enough. Some think he shares responsibility for the team's struggles with other players to greater or lesser degrees.

The reason I'm making an issue out of this, is that every day on here there are snide comments about Allen's "fanboys", when in fact I don't even think he has any. Using sarcasm about nuanced opinions does not result in very enlightened discussions.

simon IC and TruBlu like this.
  10. 542365

542365 2018-19 Cup Champs!

To me, if you want the Blues to get another starter next year(or earlier) that would mean you're against Allen. You're against having Allen as the starter. You seem to be describing people who actively root against him just so they can be proven "right" about him. I don't really consider their opinions to be all that relevant to the discussion because we really don't have many, if any, of those people here. I think the vast majority, myself included, are in the same boat as you: we would like to see Jake replaced with a better goalie, but while he's here we're hopeful he'll prove us wrong and play lights out. If that's what it means to be "against" Jake, then I don't know anybody here who qualifies.

I'm not sure Allen has any "fanboys", but there are plenty of people who claim that Blues fans always hate their goalie no matter how good or bad he may be. I don't think that's true at all. I just think we've had a long history of terrible goaltending, so of course our goaltenders have been hated on, they've been terrible. All players are going to have detractors, and those focal point positions in sports(the quarterback, goaltender, starting pitcher) get more heat than other positions, but I don't think our goalies have gotten undeserved hate given how awful most of them have been over the years.

11. The Note in MI

The Note in MI Bow to the pyramid

Wrong thread

12. MacDonald4MVP

MacDonald4MVP Registered User

Parayko Parana?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.