Half-Assed GDT: Louie vs. Gritty

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Binnington's attitude totally changed the morale out there today. This team was not the Blues I have seen most of the year. For that reason alone I'd deep six Jake the first chance we get. It's not even the fact that Bings got a SO on his first game, either, it's how the team played around him. They looked alive and hungry.

Here's the thing, this has happened with almost literally every goalie not named Jake Allen since he has been on the roster. What makes you thing the managerial/coaching staff will magically realize it now, if they haven't over the past 3-4 years?

Reactions: STLomacneko

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Binnington's attitude totally changed the morale out there today. This team was not the Blues I have seen most of the year. For that reason alone I'd deep six Jake the first chance we get. It's not even the fact that Bings got a SO on his first game, either, it's how the team played around him. They looked alive and hungry.

If we all agree that the Tank Is On, having a rookie netminder between the pipes will help that along, if not and Binnington plays like a real Starter then we're back in the fight. Jake's had his shot and it's apparent that, while he has his moments, he shouldn't be our guy and we shouldn't settle for less in goal. Time to move on.
Wouldn't a rookie goaltender help the tank, since Jake sucks?

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Wouldn't a rookie goaltender help the tank, since Jake sucks?

Giving up almost 4 goals a game (His GAA) makes me think that we might win a tad more games just by tossing Jake off the team. I did say "If Not" in my OP and I'm liable to think that Binnington would win more games than Jake, hands down.

Reactions: STLomacneko

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Giving up almost 4 goals a game (His GAA) makes me think that we might win a tad more games just by tossing Jake off the team. I did say "If Not" in my OP and I'm liable to think that Binnington would win more games than Jake, hands down.
Wait...Are you wanting to tank or not?

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

If we all agree that the Tank Is On, having a rookie netminder between the pipes will help that along, if not and Binnington plays like a real Starter then we're back in the fight. Jake's had his shot and it's apparent that, while he has his moments, he shouldn't be our guy and we shouldn't settle for less in goal. Time to move on.

Binnington’s opportunity is the most compelling story with this team right now. It’s a breath of fresh air in a season of stinky piss pots. But it surely helped to be playing the next to last place team in the league who is on a 7 game winless streak. Every team in the league ought to look good against Philadelphia right now.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Cheering for your team to lose in the hopes of drafting an 18 yr old messiah is a fool's errand. Even if we did win the lottery, I wouldn't describe any of the top prospects as "generational". That includes Jack Hughes. We are not going to draft a saviour who will single-handedly turn our fortunes around over night.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Cheering for your team to lose in the hopes of drafting an 18 yr old messiah is a fool's errand. Even if we did win the lottery, I wouldn't describe any of the top prospects as "generational". That includes Jack Hughes. We are not going to draft a saviour who will single-handedly turn our fortunes around over night.
I don't think anyone is cheering for a messiah. I think we are cheering for a chance at a top ten pick. There's a good chance we end up selling off our current core. If it takes a couple of years to get them hitting on all cylinders, many of these guys will be looking to move on to winning teams and their contracts will be up.

Reactions: STL BLUES

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Who's anointing him the starter? I've seen people say he deserves another start. That's nothing crazy or out of the question.

Knowing the alternative is Allen as the starter, I'm fully on-board the "Let's anoint Binnington the starter" hype-train. I mean, seriously, what's the worst that could happen? He gives up a few softies and single-handedly loses the Blues a game? So long as that doesn't happen on a nightly basis he inspires more confidence than the current starter. The Blues have been desperately searching for competent goaltending, and knowing that the calendar has turned to January and Jake is due to turn back into a pumpkin at any moment, I play Binnington until he's burned off all of the adrenaline that's fueling him.

Last edited:

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Knowing the alternative is that Allen as the starter, I'm fully on-board the "Let's anoint Binnington the starter" hype-train. I mean, seriously, what's the worst that could happen? He gives up a few softies and single-handedly loses the Blues a game? So long as that doesn't happen on a nightly basis he inspires more confidence than the current starter. The Blues have been desperately searching for competent goaltending, and knowing that the calendar has turned to January and Jake is due to turn back into a pumpkin at any moment, I play Binnington until he's burned off all of the adrenaline that's fueling him.
We could ruin a good prospect. That's the STL way.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I didn't realize he's already 25.
Goalies do tend to take a bit longer to get going in the pro's but Binnington looks really good honestly. Hope we don't do him like we did Bishop and not give him a real shake at it.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Got a late start watching the game. Here are some thoughts:

1. Good game all around. Lots of good chances. A couple good goals. We could have scored more but Hart was pretty good. The defense was spectacular in limiting dangerous chances and Binnie stopped what he had to. Its games like this that make it hard to understand why we are so bad in other games.

2. Binnie had a good, even great game. Still, I'm all aboard the pull everyone off the "Binnington hype-train" train. It's one game. The D played out of their mind. Let's see how he does when tested a bit more. Not saying he isn't an NHL goalie, but let's all take a breath and watch a few dozen games first.

3. I really wish I had video editing software/skills to make a video of Binnington's interview with Pang talking about how calm he is inter cut with video of his suspension-worthy slash and getting into fights in the AHL.

4. Reading the GDT: "Tarasneko's terrible...Tarasenko's terrible....Tarasenko's terrible...OMG, he scored, we love you Vova....<a minute later> Tarasenko's terrible...Tarasenko's terrible"
I hate that bipolar what have you done for me lately crap. Tarasenko and that whole line were buzzing and creating chances all night. You don't capitalize on chances until you do. But the first step is creating the chances. It was a really good game from the whole line, before during and after his goal.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Look at the team we just played. they drafted Nolan Patrick 2 years ago. He was, some thought, the best player in the draft and unarguably the #2 player. Flyers are still one of the worst teams in the league. Sure that was a weak draft on the top end, but, hell, look at Edmonton. McDavid is definitively generational and they are only 5 points ahead of us with 2 less games. I can't stress enough how much we need to fix the core issues with this team (goaltending, coaching, whatever issue causes inconsistent effort). Otherwise we are just throwing away a top prospect.

He’ll be UFA after the season. There’s nothing to ruin. Either figure out if he’s a guy you want to sign for next year or just say goodbye and good luck.

If we anoint him starter and give him 60% of the starts, he won't be :sarcasm:

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Binnington showed me last night that he has what it takes to be an adequate NHL backup, which he currently is. I could see how the defense last night was in total protect the house mode to save this kid's start. That was refreshing to see but also made it clear in my mind that they don't play as hard for Jake. That is an issue in my mind. That being said, give Binny a few more starts here in the next couple of weeks and lets see how he performs before handing him the 1A/1B titles.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Good lord can't people get excited about a good goalie performance? Yes, it was one game. Guy has had a solid pro career and some decent accolades to go with it. Nobody is crowning him the Vezina winner or anything. He was fun to watch and looked really good and actually has looked really good for a while now. Just cool to see it in the NHL and him get a SO his first start.

He absolutely deserves more looks at the NHL level. Nothing wrong with saying that.

..or we can go back to Allen every single game. :thumbd:

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Good lord can't people get excited about a good goalie performance? Yes, it was one game. Guy has had a solid pro career and some decent accolades to go with it. Nobody is crowning him the Vezina winner or anything. He was fun to watch and looked really good and actually has looked really good for a while now. Just cool to see it in the NHL and him get a SO his first start.

He absolutely deserves more looks at the NHL level. Nothing wrong with saying that.

..or we can go back to Allen every single game. :thumbd:
I think everyone is happy for him. The problem is that there are a lot of people that hate Jake so badly that they want to push the next guy in. I'm not saying that is you...but he's proven nothing yet. I think they'll give him a lot of looks this season behind Allen. Once the team is no longer trying to protect him, then we'll know where he sits

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Got a late start watching the game. Here are some thoughts:

1. Good game all around. Lots of good chances. A couple good goals. We could have scored more but Hart was pretty good. The defense was spectacular in limiting dangerous chances and Binnie stopped what he had to. Its games like this that make it hard to understand why we are so bad in other games.

2. Binnie had a good, even great game. Still, I'm all aboard the pull everyone off the "Binnington hype-train" train. It's one game. The D played out of their mind. Let's see how he does when tested a bit more. Not saying he isn't an NHL goalie, but let's all take a breath and watch a few dozen games first.

3. I really wish I had video editing software/skills to make a video of Binnington's interview with Pang talking about how calm he is inter cut with video of his suspension-worthy slash and getting into fights in the AHL.

4. Reading the GDT: "Tarasneko's terrible...Tarasenko's terrible....Tarasenko's terrible...OMG, he scored, we love you Vova....<a minute later> Tarasenko's terrible...Tarasenko's terrible"
I hate that bipolar what have you done for me lately crap. Tarasenko and that whole line were buzzing and creating chances all night. You don't capitalize on chances until you do. But the first step is creating the chances. It was a really good game from the whole line, before during and after his goal.
I saw two significant positive develops in that game:
1) Binnington got a solid win, and will be able to play with some growing confidence. I still think the odds are against him, but hopefully he can prove to be a solid NHL goalie and an option as the back-up next year.

2) Tarasenko scored a real goal. He scored one where he simply ripped it past the goalie, with no screen or tip, just one on one and I'm gonna beat you. I think most of his problem this year has been a loss of confidence, probably a development of the surgery rehab. But maybe this can help him start turning it around. If he is a dangerous scoring threat again, the Blues really could go on a run. Schwartz needs a goal like this very badly, too. Almost got one last night.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I think everyone is happy for him. The problem is that there are a lot of people that hate Jake so badly that they want to push the next guy in. I'm not saying that is you...but he's proven nothing yet. I think they'll give him a lot of looks this season behind Allen. Once the team is no longer trying to protect him, then we'll know where he sits
I think people need to understand the difference between wanting to see more starts from him (since he is possobly gone after this season) and wanting to name him the starter.

Seeing him get a SO like that and having fun watching him play and wanting to see more of that than same ol Jake isn't people saying (at least im not) name him the starter for the rest of the season. I am not saying you are saying that either.

Just annoying that if someone gets excited around here about a goalie not Jake Allen all the Allen defenders show up acting like people are saying we should name a rookie G the starter in January and that they are the future of the franchise.

Not the case at all.

Reactions: Stealth JD

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I think people need to understand the difference between wanting to see more starts from him (since he is possobly gone after this season) and wanting to name him the starter.

Seeing him get a SO like that and having fun watching him play and wanting to see more of that than same ol Jake isn't people saying (at least im not) name him the starter for the rest of the season. I am not saying you are saying that either.

Just annoying that if someone gets excited around here about a goalie not Jake Allen all the Allen defenders show up acting like people are saying we should name a rookie G the starter in January and that they are the future of the franchise.

Not the case at all.
I'm happy that he got the shutout. I hope he continues to do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad