Player Discussion Loui Eriksson

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
His value goes beyond goals. His goal history helped get him $6mil... the rest of his game plus history easily earn him $3mil/yr from a team out there if he was a UFA this season... even after his last two seasons cuz context matters.
Look what Boyle got. Cogliano. Hanzal. Sobotka even got $3.5. Hanzal is making 5.2 mil this yr! Bonino. Eaves. Brouwer.

GM’s will GM.

Not saying it’s right... but i’m pretty sure almost 30 teams would be interested in a $3mil Eriksson.

All 30 other teams are DYING to be swindled like the Canucks were?

Louis Erikkson is overpaid at 8$/h forget 3 mill

You're correct, context matters, and these days, the Loius Erikson's, Joffrey Lupul's, Wade Reddens....and BOTH those players were more useful than Erikson, get a one-way ticket OUT of the NHL.

Erikson got his money from a G.M who isn't smart enough to be a stick boy and IMEADIETLY stopped giving a s**t

If this were nearly ANY other team that contract would have gotten the GM fired,

Either way, NO NHL TEAM WILL EVER TRUST LOIUS ERIKSON, OR WANT HIS LAZY ATTITUDE AROUND EVER AGAIN

When this contract is done, and it WON'T be traded for, we will have seen the last of Lazy Louis

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
It's ironic how one of Benning's very few acquisitions that actually had historical precedence on its side (Eriksson's playing well with the twins for Tre Kronor) failed so spectacularly.

But we ALL KNEW

Myself and most other posters that I recall said straight up: This is going to be bad

Never for one minute did I think this was going to work out

Probably because I asked myself: "What kind of a player, who has already made a ton of money, signs his final NHL deal to play with a team THIS BAD, I mean, this team is/was horrible.....the answer is: A guy who ONLY cares about the dollars.

And a guy like that, when faced with the adversity of being on such a bad team is going to fold, disappear, refuse to talk to the media, get "injured" a lot and ride out his contract never to return.

Just like Mark Messier

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
It was the first few seasons where Loui was supposed to earn the money of his contract and then make up for if he tailed off for the last couple. Instead he's started out the gate like an anvil thrown in the ocean, how much worse will he get for the last 2-3 years of the deal?

July 1st he gets 6 million in a signing bonus this year, then i'm sure he'll bring a high level of motivation, leadership, and ability for the following 82 games. A switch will be flipped and he'll be available for the media every night and carry some of the leadership void left by the twins. Yeah that's going to happen.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
But we ALL KNEW

Myself and most other posters that I recall said straight up: This is going to be bad

Never for one minute did I think this was going to work out

Probably because I asked myself: "What kind of a player, who has already made a ton of money, signs his final NHL deal to play with a team THIS BAD, I mean, this team is/was horrible.....the answer is: A guy who ONLY cares about the dollars.

And a guy like that, when faced with the adversity of being on such a bad team is going to fold, disappear, refuse to talk to the media, get "injured" a lot and ride out his contract never to return.

Just like Mark Messier
I didn't like the amount or term of the contract, but I personally thought Loui and the twins would have at least one more productive season in them. They did have success and chemistry on Team Sweden, and my assumption was they would be the engine keeping the team just out of superstar draft pick range that year. Was way wrong there, obviously.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
Eriksson for an expensive right sided defenseman.

Obviously, moving Eriksson will be difficult given his cap hit. I still think the Canucks have a way out from his contract in two years. 31 of 36 million will have been paid to Erikssson, and so Eriksson can either be traded to a cap floor team or be sent to the minors a la Alex Mogilny where he then chooses to retire.
In two years, he will still have 8m in salary left:
Loui Eriksson - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I don't think the owners will be happy to pay Eriksson 8 million dollars to play in the minors. Buying out doesn't make sense either.
A 35 year old Eriksson with a 6m cap hit and 4m in salary will not be an attractive target for cap floor teams. I think we are stuck with him.

Edit: Just realized I responded to a post from two weeks ago. Ignore pls

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Louis robbed us... what a mess from the start. Brought in to play with the twins, never really happened. He is a goal scorer that doesn't score.

A bottom 3 team should never be giving aging veterans long term deals. You give those out when you are contending and need to get over the hump.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Absolutely horrible deal and they should trade him if they can - which they can't.
That said, I think Eriksson has a bounce back year. He was brought in to play with the Sedins. In hindsight, putting a slower aging forward with two slow aging forwards was a recipe for failure.
I actually think he could be a reasonable fit for Pettersson as EP moves to the middle. Eriksson is a smart player and good defensively. Eriksson's offensive game is non-existent if he plays with Sutter. His ability to know where to be and to go to the net could be quite complementary to EP's skill game.
Again, I would rather see his contract not on the team but that isn't going to happen.

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
I didn't like the amount or term of the contract, but I personally thought Loui and the twins would have at least one more productive season in them. They did have success and chemistry on Team Sweden, and my assumption was they would be the engine keeping the team just out of superstar draft pick range that year. Was way wrong there, obviously.

Larger ice, the bit of extra space made it work. Bo is the right C for Loui, really the only one that makes sense given how Loui has had scoring success in the past.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Louis robbed us... what a mess from the start. Brought in to play with the twins, never really happened. He is a goal scorer that doesn't score.

A bottom 3 team should never be giving aging veterans long term deals. You give those out when you are contending and need to get over the hump.
“Loui is an excellent two-way forward, an elite scorer and playmaker with great defensive instincts,” said General Manager Jim Benning. “He is an accomplished player who helps our team now and in the future as a leader and role model for our young players to follow."

Watch the video - he brought him in to add scoring! Louis scored 30 goals! First line PP, can kill penalties - and he's a fit with the Sedins playing in the world campionship. He's 'like' the Sedins, he's a high character person"

As Joey Kenward asked - "is it safe to say he's improving every year?"

Canucks sign Loui Eriksson to six-year deal

What a clown show!

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I picture him playing with Pettersson... not sure who the center is if it isn't Pettersson tho.

An Eriksson-Pettersson-Virtanen would be 3 players with completely varying skillsets... I don't think you could find 3 players so unlike each other.

Put em together in preseason and see if they compliment each other.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
“Loui is an excellent two-way forward, an elite scorer and playmaker with great defensive instincts,” said General Manager Jim Benning. “He is an accomplished player who helps our team now and in the future as a leader and role model for our young players to follow."

Watch the video - he brought him in to add scoring! Louis scored 30 goals! First line PP, can kill penalties - and he's a fit with the Sedins playing in the world campionship. He's 'like' the Sedins, he's a high character person"

As Joey Kenward asked - "is it safe to say he's improving every year?"

Canucks sign Loui Eriksson to six-year deal

What a clown show!
He was all of those things in Dallas and Boston. He has been a lazy prick since he signed here. The signing never made sense to me for where this team was and is. That said why in the hell did his game fall off a cliff like this? I realize they haven’t exactly set him up for success with the line mates he’s gotten but where’s the pride? Where’s the effort? The guy should be carrying a gun and wearing a ski mask.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
He was all of those things in Dallas and Boston. He has been a lazy prick since he signed here. The signing never made sense to me for where this team was and is. That said why in the hell did his game fall off a cliff like this? I realize they haven’t exactly set him up for success with the line mates he’s gotten but where’s the pride? Where’s the effort? The guy should be carrying a gun and wearing a ski mask.

He was an elite scorer? in 12 NHL seasons his best goal totals were 36 (10 years ago) and 30. He was never that close to a ppg player (closest is .9 or so). To make matters worse he got the 30 goals in a contract year in 2015. In 2013 he got 37 points, 47 in 2014. Again, I'm not seeing anything remotely close to elite?

What has he accomplished besides playing in the NHL for that many seasons (which is great but any veteran who is looking for a contract is in the spot pretty much lol)? Was it his lone all star appearance back in 2011? Or was it his 2005 SHL league championship? He has been a finalist for the Lady Byng twice - that is an accomplishment to rave about? We already had the Sedins - they didn't need another really nice guy on the team lol.

He was a better playmaker in Dallas - averaging 45 assists for 3 years straight. Then that drops to 28 in Boston - how on earth is any of this considered elite?

He didn't help the team with the Sedins in the short term (which is horrendous considering how his play with them was cited over and over as a reason he'd do well here) he obviously wont help in the long term. Can't see how he is leading anything or setting any type of example for young players to follow? Seems like the worst signing in the NHL in the last 4 years.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Elite might be a bit of a stretch for sure but he was one of the more productive left wingers in the league for 7 or 8 years. He also had a pretty nasty concussion in that time span as well. He was a very good two way player and good penalty killer. For whatever reason he has played like a dog since he got here. As I said at the time and today, the signing made no sense.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He's been exactly the same player here he was for his last 4 years before getting here outside of the one fluke year in Boston that everyone knew was a fluke year. He'd been constantly in trade talks as an overpaid cap dump in the two offseasons prior to that.

And for the record, I actually thought he was one of our better forwards when healthy last year. That isn't saying much and his contract is still a catastrophe, but he was a good ES scorer last year playing solid defensive hockey.

Reactions: timw33 and Pavel96

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Hes a complimentary player, not one who can drive a line by himself like Boeser or Horvat. I think he hasnt been used correctly by WD or Green as well. Before he came here most of his goals were rebound cleanups parked in the crease or long cherry picking passes for breakaways. We havent had the players necessary to compliment him and each year we have less and less two way forwards who can PK, forcing him to take on that role mainly as well. He was having a better year last year but then injuries again. This team and injuries

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Hes a complimentary player, not one who can drive a line by himself like Boeser or Horvat. I think he hasnt been used correctly by WD or Green as well. Before he came here most of his goals were rebound cleanups parked in the crease or long cherry picking passes for breakaways. We havent had the players necessary to compliment him and each year we have less and less two way forwards who can PK, forcing him to take on that role mainly as well. He was having a better year last year but then injuries again. This team and injuries

We have had a PP that doesn't generate much rebounds at all during his time here. If we were to fix that his goal totals will climb significantly.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
We have had a PP that doesn't generate much rebounds at all during his time here. If we were to fix that his goal totals will climb significantly.
Thats true. Our PP was actually the best thing about us last year even. This year without the Sedins cycling there is a good chance for more shots and rebounds

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
This is a guy who looks dis interested when he is playing most nights..it is really funny that he is our highest paid player now.
We cant trade him,,cant buy him out,we are basically stuck with this..If he under performs again,,start sitting him out,,until he asks to be moved and lifts his ntc.The only thing i can think of.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
This is a guy who looks dis interested when he is playing most nights..it is really funny that he is our highest paid player now.
We cant trade him,,cant buy him out,we are basically stuck with this..If he under performs again,,start sitting him out,,until he asks to be moved and lifts his ntc.The only thing i can think of.
Don't waste all that talent.....he can play garbage minutes in Utica until he retires or suffers a career ending 'injury' - I don't wish a serious injury on anyone....well maybe Marchand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->