Player Discussion Loui Eriksson, Pt. II

O/U (over/under) Will Eriksson get 0.5ppg+ this coming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
How can anyone defend Eriksson's play? His only positive is his play on the penalty kill, but would the team be any worse off is he was sent to the minors and we used the meager cap savings on another player to fill the role?

One who actually gives a damn and doesn't shy off of contact or physical play? (The guy had 3 hits all year, you have to be actively trying to avoid contact to do that.)

Green slid him down the lineup and limited his ice time more and more over the course of the year. I have to think the only reason he wasn't scratched more was to save face for Benning signing the deal.

Reactions: pomorick

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
How can anyone defend Eriksson's play? His only positive is his play on the penalty kill, but would the team be any worse off is he was sent to the minors and we used the meager cap savings on another player to fill the role?

You ask how anyone can defend his play then go on to conflate it with his contract, which every defence of his play I've ever seen specifically excludes and concedes is a poor value. It's easy to defend his play. He's a useful bottom-6 forward who would be in the lineup of every team in the league. His contract was ill-advised and is a terrible value.

Reactions: lousy

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Every GM has at least one contract they’d like to have back but I will continue to defend the logic of this signing till the cows come home.

+He had international chemistry with the twins.. when your top line is lacking a winger and one with proven chemistry with 2/3rds of your top line comes available and wants to sign and your top line lobbies for them you pull the bloody trigger.

+He was only 30 yrs old at the time of signing in a league that was trending toward speed but no one could have predicted how utterly dependent on speed the NHL game is now back in 2016. You basically need to be a speed demon to make it now unless you’re super elite in another area like Brock with his shot.

+Eriksson’s dropoff was extremely anomalous. I could see that in year 4, 5, 6 there being a huge drop off in production but NO ONE thought it would be likely to see it in years 1-3.

+He is still contributing defensively when he doesn’t score which takes matchup pressure of the kids and allowed them more favourable ice

+He helped young guys like Pettersson transition into the league a bit more comfortably. In the beginning he worked well with Petey by being the defensively responsible guy on the line and was able to maintain possession for Petey in the ozone

Reactions: Nomobo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Every GM has at least one contract they’d like to have back but I will continue to defend the logic of this signing till the cows come home.

+He had international chemistry with the twins.. when your top line is lacking a winger and one with proven chemistry with 2/3rds of your top line comes available and wants to sign and your top line lobbies for them you pull the bloody trigger.

+He was only 30 yrs old at the time of signing in a league that was trending toward speed but no one could have predicted how utterly dependent on speed the NHL game is now back in 2016. You basically need to be a speed demon to make it now unless you’re super elite in another area like Brock with his shot.

+Eriksson’s dropoff was extremely anomalous. I could see that in year 4, 5, 6 there being a huge drop off in production but NO ONE thought it would be likely to see it in years 1-3.

+He is still contributing defensively when he doesn’t score which takes matchup pressure of the kids and allowed them more favourable ice

+He helped young guys like Pettersson transition into the league a bit more comfortably. In the beginning he worked well with Petey by being the defensively responsible guy on the line and was able to maintain possession for Petey in the ozone
Pretty much every team has a contract they would love to get rid of.
Long list of Lucic, Neal, Brown, Phaneuf, Seabrook, Kesler/Perry, Zaitsev, Backes, Ladd, etc. Main similarity is signing guys into their mid 30’s. Have to expect a drop off.

The term for Loui was my issue. Twins only had 2 years on their contracts so why go that long with him? Given the breakdown in cash why didn’t they just do $7 million for 5 years?

pomorick

Aug 8, 2015

Reactions: daddyohsix

pomorick

Aug 8, 2015
Do you ever wonder why no one ever likes your posts? Maybe getting paid to post them lessens the pain:)

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

giphy.gif

Reactions: moog35 and MarkMM

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
It would be interesting, after ois career is done, to get an honest assessment from the horse's mouth what happened to him.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
tried to quote Pomorick's blank post to say that it sums up this player's contribution perfectly

but it's just blank when I post

kinda fitting

Reactions: pomorick

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
After the Leafs loss...

“(The difference) was pretty small,” Matthews said. “Little things, for sure. Small mistakes on us. Tonight I thought most of the game we played pretty well. We gave up too good of scoring chances and dug ourselves in a hole and weren’t able to come out of it.”

Eriksson to the Leafs! Get it done Benning!

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Here's reddit:

""

heh, on a lottery pick team (with really no strong defensive forwards ala the peak of the Gilligan years with Burrows [who WAS elite defensively in his prime), dude was in terms of PK duty per game:

2018/19 season....6th among forwards
2017/18 season....5th among forwards

lol...didn't realize we had SO MANY defensive stalwarts on the Canucks that elite defensive winger Loui can't beat out 5 or 6 other forwards on a lottery pick team.:laugh: reddit = 4chan.

I'd say the improvement this season on the PK had more to do with the play of Markstrom (and to a lesser extent Beagle). Loui, as usual, was busy counting his six million dollars.

Reactions: MarkMM

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
At this point in their existence, if any UFA player and his agent are demanding anything longer than a three-year deal, the Canucks should just walk. And if that player is 30 or older, they should sprint.

Sure almost every team in the league has a contract they'd like to rid themselves of. But what gets me, is that Jimbo claims the reason he went out and signed guys like Eriksson and Beagle, is that he wanted to 'shield' the young kids entering their lineup. Problem is, these veteran UFA guys aren't capable of 'shielding' anyone. They're just slowing everybody else down and taking up valuable ice-time.

Reactions: TruGr1t

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

You repeatedly say that "no one" saw his production dropping off or that the NHL was moving so dramatically towards skating but even a cursory glance at the response at the time of his signing shows how utterly, dramatically, unequivocally, irredeemably wrong you are.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
You repeatedly say that "no one" saw his production dropping off or that the NHL was moving so dramatically towards skating but even a cursory glance at the response at the time of his signing shows how utterly, dramatically, unequivocally, irredeemably wrong you are.

Find me one reputable hockey expert who thought Eriksson’s contract would be bad in years 1-3. A bunch of complaining from a fringe anti-management group of haters that complain about literally everything he does is not a valid representation of what reasonable expectations were of Eriksson at the time. Broken clocks are still right twice a day.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Based on the interviews and the body language, Benning and Canucks seem prepared to move forward without Eriksson....not sure how they're going to do it, but while his cap hit is $6m, a good portion of it was 'front-loaded'. This effectively means that in real terms his pay-grade is just over $3m a season.

So some budget team trying to get to the cap floor, might be willing to take a flyer on him. Of course that assumes Eriksson approves a trade. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Based on the interviews and the body language, Benning and Canucks seem prepared to move forward without Eriksson....not sure how they're going to do it, but while his cap hit is $6m, a good portion of it was 'front-loaded'. This effectively means that in real terms his pay-grade is just over $3m a season.

So some budget team trying to get to the cap floor, might be willing to take a flyer on him. Of course that assumes Eriksson approves a trade. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Just have to convince Fredo about eating 5 million bucks in bonus money because Elmer thought it was duck season instead of wabbit season.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
You ask how anyone can defend his play then go on to conflate it with his contract, which every defence of his play I've ever seen specifically excludes and concedes is a poor value. It's easy to defend his play. He's a useful bottom-6 forward who would be in the lineup of every team in the league. His contract was ill-advised and is a terrible value.

He's not conflating his play with contract value. You've missed his whole question. He's asking about the difference in results of a hypothetical situation in which Eriksson is sent to the minors and the Canucks call up a minor league player.

One who actually gives a damn and doesn't shy off of contact or physical play? (The guy had 3 hits all year, you have to be actively trying to avoid contact to do that.)

Green slid him down the lineup and limited his ice time more and more over the course of the year. I have to think the only reason he wasn't scratched more was to save face for Benning signing the deal.

Eriksson's Wins Above Replacement (WAR) is 0.15 for this season according to corsica hockey which is just above replacement level player. I think Eriksson will likely continue to decline as he ages and could fall to or below replacement level as soon as next season. Burying him in the minors may have a good argument soon but right now I think it's not worth the trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->