Player Discussion Loui Eriksson, Pt. II

O/U (over/under) Will Eriksson get 0.5ppg+ this coming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Send him to Utica. Eriksson is taking away a roster spot from players like McEwen who are battling hard to be on the Canucks roster. Eriksson has had a free ride for long enough, it's time to send him down and forget about him until his contract expires.
Sucking is one thing, but his uninspired hockey, early practice exits, while being the highest paid player on the team is unacceptable. This player has already checked out, get him the hell out of here.

Reactions: Cupless44

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Send him to Utica. Eriksson is taking away a roster spot from players like McEwen who are battling hard to be on the Canucks roster. Eriksson has had a free ride for long enough, it's time to send him down and forget about him until his contract expires.
Sucking is one thing, but his uninspired hockey, early practice exits, while being the highest paid player on the team is unacceptable. This player has already checked out, get him the hell out of here.

They'll never do it.

One recurring theme of our management is to force feed undeserving chances to players, whom THEY thought were hot commodities and were acquired at a hefty price tag, in a pathetic attempt to make themselves look less like a bunch of morons.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
They'll never do it.

One recurring theme of our management is to force feed undeserving chances to players, whom THEY thought were hot commodities and were acquired at a hefty price tag, in a pathetic attempt to make themselves look less like a bunch of morons.

Well they did send Gagner to Uti-... The Marlies... :huh: I still want to speculate this played a role in us acquiring Josh Leivo.

Also seems like Gagner, when utilized right, can produce in the NHL.

Still you are right. When they acquire someone he jumps the entire roster to the top6 immediately instead of having to earn his way through the lineup.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Well they did send Gagner to Uti-... The Marlies... :huh: I still want to speculate this played a role in us acquiring Josh Leivo.

Also seems like Gagner, when utilized right, can produce in the NHL.

Still you are right. When they acquire someone he jumps the entire roster to the top6 immediately instead of having to earn his way through the lineup.

Well I think it is important to remember as much has been made about Gagner's production this year, it is a similar rate to his lacklustre first year in Vancouver.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Well I think it is important to remember as much has been made about Gagner's production this year, it is a similar rate to his lacklustre first year in Vancouver.
Might be just me but I think even Gagner played more “ok” games in total as a Canuck than Eriksson. If he was bought out, I doubt he get another contract from a NHL team. As Tiger Williams said “he’s done like dinner”. He’s been done since day one as a Canuck.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Might be just me but I think even Gagner played more “ok” games in total as a Canuck than Eriksson. If he was bought out, I doubt he get another contract from a NHL team. As Tiger Williams said “he’s done like dinner”. He’s been done since day one as a Canuck.

He was misscast as a shooter on the PP for Canucks. No wonder he didnt produce.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As I understand it, once the Canucks pay Eriksson his bonus money on July 1st, the real cost of his contract comes in at $3m a season even though the cap-hit remains at $6m.

In a perverse way, this makes the contract reasonably 'attractive' to a 'budget team' that needs to get to the cap-floor. They get Eriksson for $3m a season, but get the inflated cap-hit. Of course if the Canucks were willing to 'take back' some salary it would be even more attractive for them.

So if he really tries, Jimbo should be able to move him along. And clearly that's what both the team and the player need right now.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

Yes, he's scoring at just under a 40 point pace which is pretty much his career average. We couldn't use a 40 point utility forward now could we? He would be tied for 4th in team scoring with the numbers he had in his first year here. Lacklustre? What do you want from the guy?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
It’s really fishy that a guy who’s been employed in the 4th line for the entire season suddenly got promoted to the top line.

Trying to get rid of him is my guess?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As I understand it, once the Canucks pay Eriksson his bonus money on July 1st, the real cost of his contract comes in at $3m a season even though the cap-hit remains at $6m.

In a perverse way, this makes the contract reasonably 'attractive' to a 'budget team' that needs to get to the cap-floor. They get Eriksson for $3m a season, but get the inflated cap-hit. Of course if the Canucks were willing to 'take back' some salary it would be even more attractive for them.

So if he really tries, Jimbo should be able to move him along. And clearly that's what both the team and the player need right now.
Not attractive enough to not warrant an asset going to that other team as well.

When you factor in that teams can call Detroit and pick up for $1 million cash or less due to insurance and grab Franzen $4 mill cap hit for 1 year or Zetterberg at $6 million cap hit for 2 years. Neither guy requires a roster spot because they are on ltir.

So unless another gm believes that Eriksson is actually worth his $3 mill per year amount average there are cheaper cash for ways to get to the cap floor.

Look at the bottom 5 cap hit teams.

Carolina has to Pay Aho so they should hit the floor without issue. Colorado has to pay Ranteanen so they should hit as well. NJ has several non big name free agents but are already st $50 mill for next season. Floor should be low $60 mill. Retaining their guys should get them to the floor. Otttawa, projected at $45 so they need to add but again they can call Detroit and pay a lot less cash to get to the floor which melnyk would want.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes, he's scoring at just under a 40 point pace which is pretty much his career average. We couldn't use a 40 point utility forward now could we? He would be tied for 4th in team scoring with the numbers he had in his first year here. Lacklustre? What do you want from the guy?
Green is very set on how he wants his lines to perform. His non scoring lines have to be solid defensively. He won’t put up with non EP lines being weak in their own zone.

So Gagner was never a fit in Greens system. He can’t hide out like he did in Columbus only to play on the PP.

Have to get players who fit your coaches system.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Green is very set on how he wants his lines to perform. His non scoring lines have to be solid defensively. He won’t put up with non EP lines being weak in their own zone.

So Gagner was never a fit in Greens system. He can’t hide out like he did in Columbus only to play on the PP.

So who’s fault is that Gagner signing? That’s on JB again, just like with Eriksson.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

No question.

I was just making a point about Gagner.

Reactions: Hit the post

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

At the time he was rightly panned as playing a soft, one dimensional game. No one was disappointed when he did not make the team this year for that reason.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
At the time he was rightly panned as playing a soft, one dimensional game. No one was disappointed when he did not make the team this year for that reason.

...but he's been that kind of player his whole career so why sign him if you don't like his game? Are you going to tell me that, say, Goldie doesn't play a "soft, one dimensional game"? Do we send Goldy to the minors if he doesn't play a solid defensive game? Of course not, so why sign Gagner and expect him to totally change his game after a decade of playing HIS game?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not attractive enough to not warrant an asset going to that other team as well.

When you factor in that teams can call Detroit and pick up for $1 million cash or less due to insurance and grab Franzen $4 mill cap hit for 1 year or Zetterberg at $6 million cap hit for 2 years. Neither guy requires a roster spot because they are on ltir.

So unless another gm believes that Eriksson is actually worth his $3 mill per year amount average there are cheaper cash for ways to get to the cap floor.

Look at the bottom 5 cap hit teams.

Carolina has to Pay Aho so they should hit the floor without issue. Colorado has to pay Ranteanen so they should hit as well. NJ has several non big name free agents but are already st $50 mill for next season. Floor should be low $60 mill. Retaining their guys should get them to the floor. Otttawa, projected at $45 so they need to add but again they can call Detroit and pay a lot less cash to get to the floor which melnyk would want.
I get all your points. but if the Canucks took back $1m in salary for each season, and the team that trades for him could get him for $2m a season going forward, then it's worth the risk imo.

At $2m a season, Eriksson isn't a bad investment....good for 10-15 goals a season as this point in his career; a decent pk'er and a good defensive forward. If that's all the Canucks were paying him, then they might be willing to keep him around. But it's just that $6m a season cap-hit. Yikes!

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
...but he's been that kind of player his whole career so why sign him if you don't like his game? Are you going to tell me that, say, Goldie doesn't play a "soft, one dimensional game"? Do we send Goldy to the minors if he doesn't play a solid defensive game? Of course not, so why sign Gagner and expect him to totally change his game after a decade of playing HIS game?

Question #1: I didn't sign him. So I can't answer that question.

Question #2: Goldy had better figure the NHL out in a hurry because he is not even as good of a player as Gagner and plays a similarly lacklustre game.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I get all your points. but if the Canucks took back $1m in salary for each season, and the team that trades for him could get him for $2m a season going forward, then it's worth the risk imo.

At $2m a season, Eriksson isn't a bad investment....good for 10-15 goals a season as this point in his career; a decent pk'er and a good defensive forward. If that's all the Canucks were paying him, then they might be willing to keep him around. But it's just that $6m a season cap-hit. Yikes!
Cash is based on percentage of the cap. So you you want the Canucks to retain that means they need to retain 1/3 of the cap which is $2 million.

Comes down to whether they need to use that cap space or not. If no, then just bury him in the ahl. But don’t bleed assets to get rid of him. Burying him saves them $950k. So is that extra $1.05 million in cap space worth it to move him with an asset?

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

What about Eriksson getting all that ice on the 4th line? He is very soft, never battles for a loose puck and has registered 3 hits in a 70 game season. How can a player like that be on a non scoring line? Apparently he doesnt score either.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
He matched his production of last season, with only 20 more games played. Still 9 games to improve upon that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's not JB's fault that Green turned a 40 point scorer into a 0 point farmhand...
Actually it is....everybody predicted that Gagner would never get the points in Vancouver that he collected on the pp with Columbus. And the Jackets were able to shield his woeful defense.

On the Canucks he got hopelessly exposed....which would be fine he's signed a one-year "show me" deal. Instead Jimbo signed him to a ludicrous three-year contract at $3m a season. And they're still trying to crawl out from under it, because Spooner also has another year left on his deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad