Player Discussion Loui Eriksson, Pt. II

O/U (over/under) Will Eriksson get 0.5ppg+ this coming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Only Canucks management signed bottom 6ers to 4 year term since then.

To tell you the truth most GM's dont learn from free agency
That same offseason Vancouver signed Eriksson. Calgary signed Troy Brouwer for 4 years and $18 mill
and they bought him out after 2 years
Calgary then proceeded to right after the buyout sign James Neal for $30 million
He is 15th on their team in points and is one of the teams highest paid players and is most likely going to be on the 3rd line for a long time

so it isnt just canucks management that screws up free agency. quite a few teams do.

Reactions: JimmyJiveJones

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Who actually said that he was the first one off the ice besides you? Got a credible source? Personally, I don't think Eriksson's effort level is lackluster at all.

I tend to agree on the 2nd part, don't know about the 1st part.

He is just that slow of a skater that he looks like he is not even trying.

Obviously the facial expressions and the complete lack of production don't help.

To tell you the truth most GM's dont learn from free agency
That same offseason Vancouver signed Eriksson. Calgary signed Troy Brouwer for 4 years and $18 mill
and they bought him out after 2 years
Calgary then proceeded to right after the buyout sign James Neal for $30 million
He is 15th on their team in points and is one of the teams highest paid players and is most likely going to be on the 3rd line for a long time

so it isnt just canucks management that screws up free agency. quite a few teams do.

I thought the contract was way too long but expected him to continue being a 20g guy for a big chuck of his time there.

upload_2019-1-29_10-21-36.png

Doubt anyone expected his shooting% to be 1/3 of his career average.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
He's basically halfway through his (awful) contract. He's 33 years old. His production has entered that entirely predictable phase of decline and that decline is almost certain to continue for the remainder of his career.

All rational people will stipulate to the fact that it was a bad signing by Benning and a blemish on his reign as GM.

Can we all agree to stop talking about Eriksson unless he actually does something that breaks the trend? Like, score at a 0.5 ppg rate for at least 30 games or something?

He sucks. No need to belabour the point lol

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
He's basically halfway through his (awful) contract. He's 33 years old. His production has entered that entirely predictable phase of decline and that decline is almost certain to continue for the remainder of his career.

All rational people will stipulate to the fact that it was a bad signing by Benning and a blemish on his reign as GM.

Can we all agree to stop talking about Eriksson unless he actually does something that breaks the trend? Like, score at a 0.5 ppg rate for at least 30 games or something?

But what about all of those little things he does.... can we talk about those?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The thing is we're probably on track for another Eriksson-type contract this summer. So maybe he'll look slightly better alongside some of the contracts we dole out in FA.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

No.

Reactions: mathonwy

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Pointless streaks of 7, 8, 10, 9 (and counting).

What a great return for 6 million dollars!!! . You can find someone in the AHL that can provide what he's contributing right now.

Send him down to the AHL next year and hope he just retires back to Sweden.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Somebody phoned the post-game show on House Radio last night, basically asking the same question of Auld and Kenward. "Why aren't you guys talking more about Louie Eriksson?"

The basic answer was that they're embarrassed to bring him up, and operate on the theory if you have nothing good to say, then better to say nothing at all. So even the guys who make their living as commentators on this team are avoiding the Eriksson question.

Everybody knows it's probably the worst, most expensive UFA signing in Canuck history. And it's only going to get worse in the last thee years of this interminable contract. There's really nothing more to say.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Loui's 36M contract is the biggest contractual mistake in Vancouver Canucks history but let's stop talking about it because the player continues to suck in the old kinda way and not in a new kinda way.

Hmm.... I guess you kind of have a point there.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Loui's 36M contract is the biggest contractual mistake in Vancouver Canucks history but let's stop talking about it because the player continues to suck in the old kinda way and not in a new kinda way.

Hmm.... I guess you kind of have a point there.

It’s up there. Sundin was bad but shorter term. Messier was terrible too. In my opinion Loui is the worst tho.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It’s up there. Sundin was bad but shorter term. Messier was terrible too. In my opinion Loui is the worst tho.
You're probably right. But after watching Beagle flub that breakaway last night, there still a chance his contract could give Eriksson a run for his money.

A 33 year old center at $3m a season for four years who is on pace for five goals on the season, yikes! I get the fact that Barry Trotz apparently loves him, and he's a 'character guy' in the room. But for that kind of money he'd better be a cross between Knute Rockne and the Gipper.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Send him down to the AHL next year and hope he just retires back to Sweden.

That's the gamble I would do. Worst case is that he actually reports. Still on the hook regardless of where he plays. I know there are recapture penalties for those back diving deals. But if the Canucks pay Loui $23 million for the first 3 years and then a SB on July 1, they've only taken $18 million in cap hit. So, if he did balk and the Canucks terminated his deal, I would suspect that they should be on the hook for the difference against their cap. But, we haven't really seen anything like that under this current CBA.

Those were supposed to be his best years. The next 3 aren't going to be any better.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You're probably right. But after watching Beagle flub that breakaway last night, there still a chance his contract could give Eriksson a run for his money.

A 33 year old center at $3m a season for four years who is on pace for five goals on the season, yikes! I get the fact that Barry Trotz apparently loves him, and he's a 'character guy' in the room. But for that kind of money he'd better be a cross between Knute Rockne and the Gipper.

Beagle has 1 goal on a goalie at the trade deadline. He’s already cratering from the guy who averaged 11 goals/82 GP over the past 4 years ... and it’s year 1 out of 4.

Nice guy that everybody likes but just an atrocious signing. $12 million for a lateral move (at best, in year 1) from Dowd/Gaunce.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Gudbransons is close to the worst. Loui was coming off a 30 goal season and figured to get 2-3 half decent years, and got what the going rate was in that terrible FA year. Guddy played half of 2 seasons, was bad in the half he did play and got $4x3. Loui is totally invisible but doesnt cost the team all the goals Gudbranson does

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Well... this is truly a historical moment then.

We got #1 and #2 in all time worst contract in Canucks history in the same time period.

How coincidental.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
At this point, Gudbranson's contract is worse IMO.

I would rather have Eriksson for the next 3 years over Gudbranson for the next 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad