Player Discussion Loui Eriksson Part IV: EriksSonata - A CambieKev Presentation [VIDEO]

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
The worst contract in team history prevented them from making some magical moves in one season,?you guys are a riot.:popcorn:

The worst contract was acquired, it was Ballard. Honestly, forget about the trade pieces, just removed Ballard in 2010 (you still get Hamhuis etc), it changes everything. If we're going to complain about a core killing, preventative contract it's Keith Ballard IMO.

Sundin taking until Christmas to decide blocks nothing if you want to think about it realistically, if Nashville wanted to trade you Shea Weber, you pull the Sundin offer plain and simple. It definitely didn't block them from exploring anything.

Sundin was a 1st line player for every year of his career but the one in Vancouver. He was the 20th best goal and point getter the season before he was acquired. It's more akin to going all in for Malkin than it was for Joe Thornton.
Ballard's 4.25M contract was the lodestone that prevented this team from acquiring the necessary depth to compensate for Raymond, Hammer, Malholtra and Sammy's injuries.

Damn you Florida!!!

Kushman

Aug 9, 2020
I'm calling this one of those "deep fake" videos... no way you found that many highlights of Erikson in a Canucks jersey.
FAKE NEWS

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Agree Weber was signed before the deadline and not available. There was talk among fans of the Canucks offering sheeting him but he did sign before the deadline.

But saying that totally undercuts the argument is silly. There were many better options available that Gillis might a have got with the money he was throwing at Sundin. These include Jagr, Hossa (and wouldn't that have been nice) Recchi, Selanne (65 goals the next year), Blake, Weight and others . Or with that money, Gillis could have gone after several players such as Brad Stuart, Ryder, Montador, Jackman and others. Heck for all the money he gifting Sundin, he could have just brought back Naslund and let him retire a Canuck. He got 24 goals with the Ranger and was every bit as effective as Sundin was in Vancouver.

Instead Gillis goes out the first day of free agency and makes the big splash with the Sundin offer and than waits around till Xmas to finally sign him.

Also, we are dealing here with the offer. That offer would have prevented the signing of important pieces the Canucks picked up in 2009 and would have made it difficult to re-sign important roster players. (maybe even the Sedins) Since Sundin retired after the 2008- 2009 season, saying his body was done and he couldn't play any more, that 10 million Gillis wanted to give him would have meant 10 million in dead cap space. Right now Benning is getting rightly butchered for all his dead cap space but percentage wise and even money total wise, that amount of dead cap space , which Gillis was totally willing to chance, was greater than in the present situation under Benning. It would have killed any improvement in the team and probably made it impossible for the team to make the Cup in 2011. That's how bad the Gillis offer was and again he was only bailed out by Sundin. Gillis insisted he was very willing to go along with the offer.

I'm supposing that from the lack of answers and the continued praise for Gillis's offer to the washed up Sundin (like he quit at the end of season saying his body couldn't handle the it any more) that you would have been supportive of making a $16 mill offer to Thronton this off-season. (equivalent in cap percent to Sundin's contract) I mean he is about in the same age range, certain Hall of Famer, played over 70 games for 13 out of the last 14 years, consistent point producer, banged up some, great leadership qualities, loved by all .... (sounds a lot like Sundin in 2008)
The only time teemu selanne got 65 goals was when he got 76 in 1992ish

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Too little, to late?

Full salary in the Minors or mutual termination?

hockeyaddicts@hockeyaddicts
Loui Eriksson, Artem Anisimov Among Those On Waivers Source: Pro Hockey Rumors The Vancouver Canucks have placed Loui Eriksson on waivers again, after clearing just before the season began. Eriksson has played in just o... https://buff.ly/3jzN0zH

He's already been on waivers this year. And this will probably happen a few more times as he goes up and down to the taxi squad.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Loui will be waived every thirty days so they can shuttle him up and down from the taxi squad. Nothing to see here.

As an aside, I really hope taxi squads become a permanent thing. It'll hurt the AHL, but it's a great spot for tweeners to go.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
Too little, to late?

Full salary in the Minors or mutual termination?

hockeyaddicts@hockeyaddicts
Loui Eriksson, Artem Anisimov Among Those On Waivers Source: Pro Hockey Rumors The Vancouver Canucks have placed Loui Eriksson on waivers again, after clearing just before the season began. Eriksson has played in just o... https://buff.ly/3jzN0zH

Alas, nothing so dramatic I don't think. He's just getting back in the taxi.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I swear, if the Canucks bring Eriksson back for the last year of his contract because they can't find anything else to do with him, then Canuck fans deserve to be in open revolt.

You'd think having a $6m player cooling his heels at home and only practicing would be enough of an embarrassment that they'd be looking for anywhere else for him to play. Loan him to an SHL team; have him as a player and mentor in Utica; send him to another AHL team like they did with Sam Gagner; or buy him out....I mean anything to avoid another year of this.

Of course that's what I said last off-season, that surely they couldn't bring Eriksson back for another year. But Benning seems absolutely paralyzed in dealing with this awful contract.

Reactions: moog35

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
They should have front loaded that deal even more
I don't see a way out of them next year. No point for him to leave three million on the table.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
If Loui Eriksson made $750,000 per year, we'd probably love him.

Unfortunately he makes $5.25 million more than he should. I can't wait until he's off the books.

If only Myers was Tanev. Hamonic ... Stecher. You get my drift.

Reactions: Dab and LordBacon

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
If Loui Eriksson made $750,000 per year, we'd probably love him.

Unfortunately he makes $5.25 million more than he should. I can't wait until he's off the books.

If only Myers was Tanev. Hamonic ... Stecher. You get my drift.
At least thats the end of our cap problems, and luckily we dont have problems with Beagle, Sutter, Roussell, Ferland, Baertchi, Spooner (Gagner)

Man what a mess. Every team obviously has some cap problems and some teams have 1 MONDO bad contract (Bobrovsky, Etc) but the Benning management is like death by 10 bad contracts, Eriksson was the worst Myers the new worst :(

Reactions: MarkMM

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I realize Jimbo has a lot of supporters on these boards, but the naked stats on the salary cap don't lie. The Canucks have 'managed' the salary cap worse than any team in the league. Between Eriksson, Baertschi, the Luongo cap recapture penalty and the Ferland LTIR contracts, the Canucks are spending close to $17m a season for nothing.

And when you add in the awful contracts for bottom six forwards, along with Myers, you have another $17m in guys performing miles below their contract value. By my count, that's at least nine bad contracts. A competitive NHL team can afford maybe two bad contracts, but that's about it.

And there's no real help on the way. The contracts for Edler, Benn and Sutter are all up at the end of the season. But bridge deals for Hughes and Pettersson will eat up all of that cap space, and maybe more.

It's just plain ugly.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
As a 4th line defensive winger, he's alright. Course, you don't spend six million bucks on that type of player.
No he really isn't anymore.

He was awful last year during any run of games. When rested sure he could come in and play some decent boring hopeless offensive minutes.

4 seasons plus in the books. 31 million for 38 goals 6 into empty nets. What an abomination. Just retire already

I can only hope the only reason they are letting him hang around is to be polite enough he will walk away. It will be shameful if he comes back next year so he can be bought out for an extra 2 million and hangs 4 on our cap

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
No he really isn't anymore.

He was awful last year during any run of games. When rested sure he could come in and play some decent boring hopeless offensive minutes.

4 seasons plus in the books. 31 million for 38 goals 6 into empty nets. What an abomination. Just retire already

I can only hope the only reason they are letting him hang around is to be polite enough he will walk away. It will be shameful if he comes back next year so he can be bought out for an extra 2 million and hangs 4 on our cap
Oh I think Brother Loui has about 4 million pretty good reasons to return for his final season Sting. And With Mr Aquilini apparently opposed to dispatching his ass to Utica he'll be free and clear to put his feet up and feast on that great in game food that Bob Marjanovich made famous while the free millions roll in...

Reactions: Dab and sting101

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Oh I think Brother Loui has about 4 million pretty good reasons to return for his final season Sting. And With Mr Aquilini apparently opposed to dispatching his ass to Utica he'll be free and clear to put his feet up and feast on that great in game food that Bob Marjanovich made famous while the free millions roll in...
Not a chance he doesn't get bought out if push comes to shove which means he gets 2 million for sticking around after his bonus is paid.

Would hope he has some shame? He's made close to 60 million playing hockey FFS.

Surely he can do something else to make more money if that's what it's about.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
He’s better than

virtanen
Beagle
Roussell
Gaudette
Bailey

But he’s just not worth 6M. At 1.5m he’s a great bottom 6 player.

He’s actually not better than any of those guys and isn’t even close to being a great bottom 6 player. Loui had 3 hits in 70+ games a few seasons ago. 3! How is that even possible. A bottom 6 player should at least provide some physicality when they are not scoring.

He also contributed absolutely nothing in 10 playoff games last year

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I realize Jimbo has a lot of supporters on these boards, but the naked stats on the salary cap don't lie. The Canucks have 'managed' the salary cap worse than any team in the league. Between Eriksson, Baertschi, the Luongo cap recapture penalty and the Ferland LTIR contracts, the Canucks are spending close to $17m a season for nothing.

And when you add in the awful contracts for bottom six forwards, along with Myers, you have another $17m in guys performing miles below their contract value. By my count, that's at least nine bad contracts. A competitive NHL team can afford maybe two bad contracts, but that's about it.

And there's no real help on the way. The contracts for Edler, Benn and Sutter are all up at the end of the season. But bridge deals for Hughes and Pettersson will eat up all of that cap space, and maybe more.

It's just plain ugly.
Whenever people are feeling happy, I direct them to the Canucks' Capfriendly page.

'cause . . . well, username . . . you know . . .

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
He’s actually not better than any of those guys and isn’t even close to being a great bottom 6 player. Loui had 3 hits in 70+ games a few seasons ago. 3! How is that even possible. A bottom 6 player should at least provide some physicality when they are not scoring.

He also contributed absolutely nothing in 10 playoff games last year

Hope this is sarcasm.

LE is better than all the scrap I listed above , if he was making 1.5M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->