Loudest crowd

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
SC Bern plays in arena that has 17k+ capacity. It is by far more louder crowd than any NHL arena. Djurgården in sweden might have most passionate fans in hockey. European fan culture is totally different from NA. Some german clubs have really loud crowd too. Finnish fans are similar to NA fans.

I know I keep repeating myself but the Bern arena looks like it's architecture benefits sound in its travel throughout the arena. You'd get vastly different results if you put a single person center ice in MSG and then throw a guy center ice into the PostFinance Arena.

Again I have no issue with different crowd cultures or other fans being more "into" the game, but noise level is almost entirely dependent on the architecture of a building.

You'll sound infinitely louder if you run into a Cathedral and scream "I forgot my pants!" as opposed to running into a cineplex shouting "This movie sucks!".

But alas, maybe I'm too literal with the "which crowd is louder"

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I know I keep repeating myself but the Bern arena looks like it's architecture benefits sound in its travel throughout the arena. You'd get vastly different results if you put a single person center ice in MSG and then throw a guy center ice into the PostFinance Arena.

Again I have no issue with different crowd cultures or other fans being more "into" the game, but noise level is almost entirely dependent on the architecture of a building.

You'll sound infinitely louder if you run into a Cathedral and scream "I forgot my pants!" as opposed to running into a cineplex shouting "This movie sucks!".

But alas, maybe I'm too literal with the "which crowd is louder"

We need similar video for hockey too? Do you think it is about arena in these cases too? Not to mock NA fan culture because i live in Finland that has similar culture but european fans are totally different animal when it is about loudness.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017

We need similar video for hockey too? Do you think it is about arena in these cases too? Not to mock NA fan culture because i live in Finland that has similar culture but european fans are totally different animal when it is about loudness.

European vocal chords aren't any different than American vocal chords.

Constant singing does not equal higher peak db.

And once again, we are comparing NHL arenas to NHL arenas which is the whole point of this thread... you might have missed that when you thought I'm trying to knock "Euro fan culture".

Not sure if it makes a difference to you but I am European myself so I have no egg in the basket here to chose one over the other. All I'm saying is that there is no way to fairly measure the noise level of a crowd unless you give them the same circumstances i.e. the same arena/building/whatever.

Do you get it?

Reactions: Master P and Cellee

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Roar of the Jets Fans: Playoff Hockey Returns to Winnipeg

And so I went into last night’s heavily anticipated Ducks-Jets game in Winnipeg, the first NHL playoff game played in the city in 19 years, fully prepared for noise. I was expecting noise, even hoping for it. But I also came in carrying along a good dose of prove-it-to-me cynicism. And I held on to that cynicism right up until the moment it melted out of my ears and trickled down onto my shoulders, along with what used to be my eustachian tubes and an undetermined number of brain cells. That moment came midway through pregame warm-ups.
Good lord, Jets fans. Maybe ease it up just a bit. Some of us might want to go home and hear our children’s laughter again someday.

WATCH: Jets fans' cheers reach 124 decibels on Lee Stempniak's goal

IMG_0861.jpg

Reactions: Cellee

Jan 21, 2018
WPG for sure but as the team gets better and shifts its focus to making more money, the suits will takeover.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Toronto is very loud in the playoffs. When they played Boston a number of years ago it was insane.

Not saying this just as Toronto hate but they'll always have too many corporate seasons tickets to compete in the rowdy category. The money is a blessing and a curse but definitely more of a blessing

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
WPG for sure but as the team gets better and shifts its focus to making more money, the suits will takeover.

Winnipeg suits are construction companies not investment banks. Their suits are just as loud as any other fan in the building

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Not saying this just as Toronto hate but they'll always have too many corporate seasons tickets to compete in the rowdy category. The money is a blessing and a curse but definitely more of a blessing
Playoffs are a different story.

Reactions: Loosie

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Playoffs are a different story.

I feel like the CEO that owns the 4 tickets brings their spouse and 2 young children to the playoffs because they use the tickets they give away to clients during the regular season.

Winnipeg's season tickets are largely held by groups of buddies splitting them so the makeup of the demographics doesn't change much from the regular season

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Smaller arenas (sq. footage, not necessarily capacity) tend to be the loudest...couple that with a market with fewer other options and I can't imagine the answer isn't Winnipeg.

Nashville is right there with them.
I'm a Penguins fan but it is quiet AF there.

It isn't the excuses you list either.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
SC Bern plays in arena that has 17k+ capacity. It is by far more louder crowd than any NHL arena. Djurgården in sweden might have most passionate fans in hockey. European fan culture is totally different from NA. Some german clubs have really loud crowd too. Finnish fans are similar to NA fans.

The thing is though, nobody cares about what is happening in europe where some d level hockey is being played.

Unfortunately Montreal and Edmonton are not there this season so it's a toss up among some simply ordinary crowds this season.

Victory5

Apr 12, 2011
European vocal chords aren't any different than American vocal chords.

Constant singing does not equal higher peak db.

And once again, we are comparing NHL arenas to NHL arenas which is the whole point of this thread... you might have missed that when you thought I'm trying to knock "Euro fan culture".

Not sure if it makes a difference to you but I am European myself so I have no egg in the basket here to chose one over the other. All I'm saying is that there is no way to fairly measure the noise level of a crowd unless you give them the same circumstances i.e. the same arena/building/whatever.

Do you get it?

I think his point is that while, in a strict decibel sense, European fans might not be louder......its clear that North American fan 'culture' is inferior to most European counterparts when comparing the most popular sports. Its not really fair to NA teams to be honest because a lot of European teams, particularly soccer teams, have ties to political, social, or national movements and that tends to incite a bit more hatred and passion than geography.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I think his point is that while, in a strict decibel sense, European fans might not be louder......its clear that North American fan 'culture' is inferior to most European counterparts when comparing the most popular sports. Its not really fair to NA teams to be honest because a lot of European teams, particularly soccer teams, have ties to political, social, or national movements and that tends to incite a bit more hatred and passion than geography.
Fair enough. I personally however wouldn't say either culture is inferior. As a Euro I prefer watching NHL games. I go to the arena to watch the game and not to sing for 3 hours. As a father I also happen to find the NA crowd a lot less hostile to kids/families.
To each their owm

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
The thing is though, nobody cares about what is happening in europe where some d level hockey is being played.

Unfortunately Montreal and Edmonton are not there this season so it's a toss up among some simply ordinary crowds this season.
Montreal has been "ordinary" the last few playoffs. They definitely boo the loudest though. They boo for everything

Reactions: HOPE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad