Lot of Things going Right

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Not to piss on the 'why am I forced as part of my punishment to watch the Bruins in 2014-2015' but after attending a few exhibition games in Boston and Providence this week, a handful of training camp visits, going all five open days at DC, talking to some folks who have forgotten more hockey than i will ever know, and mixing them all up- sun shine and hope reigns on the right side of the street AND ice.

If you are a downer, a nonbeliever, time to skip this.

Like our future at right wing- a lot.

I like to start with skating assessment, and then go to the player's individual style- fast? quick? what type of game they play? crafty? slick? tenacious? gritty? shooter or passer?play game more with mind or body?

the zoo has different sections but its still all about animals- some folks head to reptiles, some to the big cats, some to the bears. The Bruins right wing group is no different- some skills and tendencies over lap but a lot of different styles at play here and all play well for Boston going forward.

Got to look at Ferlin and Knight last night- and I wont make this about Knight other than to say that program concocted by John Whitesides to get him sleaker and faster with less emphasis on weight training and more on core and explosiveness first step and speed worked. He was turbo last night. Cassidy put him in a tie game on the kill, and all he did was score a beauty of a shortie to give them a 3-2 lead.

BRIAN FERLIN- I seen him in camps, I talked to people that know him and who's kids play against him, I've read Kirk, but still a bit Loc Ness Monsterish to me....grainy footage, news papers with corners curling and turning colors like October leaves. Believe it when I see it.

So last night I watched these two players- every shift. I used my 'skating and style' concept to figure out what I thought Ferlin brought to the table.

Ferlin started a little slowly, kind of out there, nothing really noticeable, seemed to have minimal truculence down low, but he WAS down low, but not any bleep you, death stare stuff. Look down, get out, line up that was it.

His skating was meh, ok, not bad....this may keep him down here a bit (or so I thought, not sure now)-but then he got the puck with room and he took off. Strong with the puck, natural ability to protect the puck (analytics dream), good routes, great decisions- I never saw a bad pass, and he made quick ones, delayed ones, lead passes, drop passes, finding open men and those with better lines to the net. He also possessed the ability to go from protecting puck to getting in position to get a good hard shot.

I really like him. By the end of the game at least to me it was like he had just played a month of hockey and the lessons it brought.

I don't want to get ridiculous here but I cant help myself- I can see him putting up Reilly Smith type numbers while playing a well rounded game. He is not fast but he is not slow. I can see him working well with any of Boston's top three centers in time- a short time.

SETH GRIFFITH- He has his own thread and I am quite in it. The question remains? on a high profile program in London why did he go undrafted first year, and second year have the two teams that should have known him the best Washington and Tampa not take him.

How can no one not see this? was it his lack of speed and physical play that led to this. Its still preseason and the complete NHL teams with all the fast and strong lineups have yet to be assembled. Till then, Seth Griffith is proving those paid to know this look silly.

RED LINE was the one scouting publication that does this for business that really liked him and has been right on....RL has a very strong record of nailing their 'emotional assessment' guys

The removal of goonery is a good thing, the movement of 12 players in a lineup trying to score as opposed to 6 trying to score, 5 trying to stop the other team from scoring, and 1 to fight is good for Griffith.

TYLER RANDALL- guy was great last night....wish I could put him in the Way Back Machine and drop him into 1977.

He had one of those shifts that if seen live would make those that like old time hockey shake like an excited dog. He flattened a Springfield Falcon with a bone crushing hit; then he flattened a Springfield Falcon with a punch to the mouth. Title of the shift- Flattened.

but there is more- skating is much better, hands are good, strong around the net; at worst he looked like a good solid AHLer but you wonder if this guy has a chance. There are worse things at an AHL game than watching his shifts

DAVID PASTRNAK- went to all the DC week, but was there when Bartkowski ended his TC. Did not see last night, but will be there tonight if he plays. Skillset and flair reminds me of an 18 year old Rick Middleton (Middleton had the hair back then and wore it long).

Hope he gets in tonight since I'll be there and want to at least get to see the skating and start formulating what his style is to me- although we all know the parameters, but is it Bostonish err, Clode-worthy.

I expect him to go back but he should be ready in the next two camps to compete for a spot and probably get one of those 4 RW spots

Just one persons opinion but I couldn't be happier than what is on the right way

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Danny boy, regarding Griffith. I know you are a big fan of the LA Kings duo of Pearson and Toffoli because you've mentioned them before. Why did Pearson go undrafted in his first year of eligibility?

I'm assuming that you list Tampa as one of the teams that knew Griffith well because they drafted Namestnikov and should have known about Griffith? Why did the Bruins pass on Pearson when the year before the drafted not only his teammate, but his linemate Anthony Camara the year before? Should they have not known Pearson?

And I'm assuming that you list Washington because of Hunter? Didn't Hunter already make it known prior to the draft that he was heading back to coach London? Was he even with Washington at the draft? Serious question because I don't recall.

As for Red Line really liking him, I liked him even more ;)

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Any chance Pasternak gets a 10 game look to start the season?

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Really like everything I'm reading about Knight. I'd love to see him on the 4th line for an extended look this season.

Knight scored a nice SHG last night at the Dunk ... wasn't really cheating, but got behind the D once Providence had it and took off, beating Anton Forsberg who (despite giving up 4 including OT GWG by Tommy Cross) was very solid in net for SPFLD.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
@Dan: Totally agree on Randall, the guy's got that old school moxie. ... Had Dupes or Nancy MB been present, it would have been written that Randall played with jam.

And the thing with Ferlin is, coming from 3? years at Cornell, you get the feeling that this is as fast as he's gonna get and it ain't quite enough against the Jay Bouwmeesters of the world -- for the kind of leany, puck-protect game he likes to play. He's a little poor man's Soderberg in that regard, plays an old school style of carrying through. But, yeah, I also thought he moved well and moved the puck well (which we know him to be good at) last night.

But it's a little like Spooner's 2-1-3 night in Bridgeport -- appropriate that it happened there when you look at the list of Islanders D's for that game. CJ cautioned that the opponent's lineup wasn't exactly NHL, but gave him strong praise for the way he played the game. "That's exactly what we want him to do."

In case anyone missed it last night, Ben Sexton apparently fractured his ankle crashing into the end boards midway through the first period in Providence.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
@Dan: Totally agree on Randall, the guy's got that old school moxie. ... Had Dupes or Nancy MB been present, it would have been written that Randall played with jam.

And the thing with Ferlin is, coming from 3? years at Cornell, you get the feeling that this is as fast as he's gonna get and it ain't quite enough against the Jay Bouwmeesters of the world -- for the kind of leany, puck-protect game he likes to play. He's a little poor man's Soderberg in that regard, plays an old school style of carrying through. But, yeah, I also thought he moved well and moved the puck well (which we know him to be good at) last night.

But it's a little like Spooner's 2-1-3 night in Bridgeport -- appropriate that it happened there when you look at the list of Islanders D's for that game. CJ cautioned that the opponent's lineup wasn't exactly NHL, but gave him strong praise for the way he played the game. "That's exactly what we want him to do."

In case anyone missed it last night, Ben Sexton apparently fractured his ankle crashing into the end boards midway through the first period in Providence.
not only didn't miss it I sat in that side by dot in second row and saw it as it happened....he was in agony. poor kid, I like his game

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
not only didn't miss it I sat in that side by dot in second row and saw it as it happened....he was in agony. poor kid, I like his game

I was high above rinkside at Centre Bell when McLaren closelined Richard Zednik and was looking at my screen when it happened. Imagine being among the many "who were there" on May 10, 1970 but missed it in line for the men's room when OT started.

Haha, just realized you said "didn't."

Well Sexton sure wishes he missed it. That was nasty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad