TV: Lost

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
The New Man in Charge Extra is awesome. That is all.

I haven't watched it yet. I'm going to watch season six straight through before I watch it

Also for those are wondering the Best Buy bonus disc on the standard dvd set (which is what I got) is extra extras and much more. I haven't watched it the disc so I can't comment on it what the more is. The extra packaging is an outside jacket that holds the extra disc on the back.

John Cena*

Is the new man in charge extra anywhere online? I prob won't pick season 6 up untill the weekend.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
of course the NMIC poses one more (albeit petty and probably insignificant) question before LOST really closes the curtain on the story.

I did like the "we're going to have to see that again" line one more time.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
So apparently the Complete Series Box Set comes with an excerpt from the Black Rock ledger that attempts (kinda poorly) to explain the outrigger shootout.

Here's the entire letter:

Front:

adequately portray the horrors of this fearful night. A strange mist has enveloped the ship. It is unusual and has put everyone ill at ease...

December 15? - The mist has totally disappeared and it is broad daylight. Despite best efforts to navigate away from the island, we cannot seem to escape its pull, and anxious rumors are spreading. Our compasses are rendered inert for reasons that mystify me.

Incomprehensible altogether is the conduct of Captain Hanso he prattles away the merest nonsense about the island and writes in his journal senseless equations. He was overheard asking Mhifield, "Is it 1881?" I cannot bring myself to the conclusion that the man is mad.

December 16? - The first to abandon his past was Thayer, a man I mentioned before as exhibiting something of a mutinous spirit. After complaining for days of headache and hallucinations, it would appear he has suffered a malady of the brain as blood rushes from his nostrils with no hope if stopping the flow. Before he explained in the doctors arms, he spoke as if a ten year old boy asking his mother for sweets.

Other members of the crew have begun to complain of similar headaches. The island is now off the port... was it not just starboard?

December 18? - An away team of six men was launched at first light in an attempt to get to the island with hopes of determining our location.

Only one returned alive. He seems in a deep shock, muttering about exchanging musket fire with another vessel which promptly disappeared in a flash of heavenly light. He went on to claim that after hours of traversing the island, his five crewmates simply jumped overboard as if lemmings and no degree of coaxing could persuade them back into the boat. They drowned. Every one.

There will be no more away teams.

Back:

December 19? - I awoke paralyzed by fear. Amidst the sounds of the night, there was something else. Though faint it sounded like the whispering of voices seemingly all around me. Then a scream froze in my throat - In the doorway to my cabin stood a shape -

It was Captain Hanso. Pale and fearful as if he'd seen the devil himself. I provided him a whiskey with h opes of putting him back in bed should any crewmember see him in this state, but the poor man seemed beyond calming. His mind was beset by conspiracies involving a man he called "Jacob" who Hanso believed commissioned this very expedition with the intention of bringing us to this maddening place.

Once Hanso was back in his quarters, I immediately reviewed the shipping receipts, but found no mention of any "Jacob"

If anyone is to get us out of this, it will not be that fool.

December 22? - Our lookout claims he has spotted two men on the shore of the island at the foot of the statue that has the crew so concerned. Another hallucination, no doubt. The wind freshened considerably... it appears a storm is imminent.

God save us all.

Doesn't make much sense. You'd have to assume that these Black Rock crew members approached the island on a bad bearing, thus catapulting them 150 years into the future. They then (for some reason) abandoned their boat and took an outrigger that they found on the beach and for no apparent reason pursued another outrigger and opened fire. Not to mention this doesn't explain what happened to the Zodiac raft, and we'd have to believe the unlikely scenario that they returned to their ship on the appropriate bearing to wind up back in 1867.

I much prefer the answer I concocted myself:

- Hurley, as new island protector, decides that as his first act he's going to send anybody remaining on the island home if they so want (people like Desmond, Cindy, Zach and Emma). He sends Ben to round them up, and Desmond accompanies him (basically to create tension in the show, but seeing as how this isn't the show I don't need to elaborate)
- Ben and Des find some of these remaining Others, but then a few armed stragglers from Widmore's team get the drop on them. They don't know their boss is dead nor that Flocke is dead, just that they would have good reason to detain both Ben and Desmond.
- They return to the beach camp where they docked their outriggers only to find a Zodiac raft there as well (courtesy of the time traveling Losties, and explaining where all the crafts in The Little Prince came from). They don't know what to think of this and thus send a few of their team into the jungle to investigate, taking Ben and Des along with them as they want to keep a close eye on them.
- The Others take this opportunity to incapacitate those on Widmore's team left behind to watch over them and hijack the Zodiac raft (explaining why it disappeared), leaving Ben and Desmond behind.
- Between when the Others left and Widmore's team returned to the beach camp, Sawyer & co. arrive at the beach and take an outrigger.
- Widmore's team returns to the beach, sees Locke (and assume it's Flocke) paddling away with one of their boats and the chase is on.

So, who gets shot? Most logical choice in this fantasy scenario I've created is Ben. It wouldn't cheat the fans because it was a significant character, it would give a somewhat twisted closure to the Ben-Juliet storyline as she gets some sort of revenge from the grave, and it also forces Desmond to make the decision of whether or not to jump into the water and save the man who tried to kill his wife. And he does save Ben's life, showing us what kind of man Des really is.

I don't intend to buy the box set so I'm just going to stick with my answer to that unsolved mystery. :)

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
Unless I am not thinking through this clearly...the Black Rock/outrigger shootout tie-in makes zero sense.

The Black Rock crew's boat looked just like the outriggers that were on the beach? The outriggers with the airline waterbottles in them?

What?

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
My brother ordered the series on blu-ray so I'm excited to get through all of that. As for the comparison to the wire, I recently watched a couple seasons of The Wire and one of the biggest things about the show is that every season there's a completely different "area" being covered and I thought that was an intriguing way to do things. After watching the whole series of Lost I'm appreciating it in a whole new way because in a way, it's similar to what The Wire did. Every season covers a new aspect of the show. It covers such different topics on each season ranging from first arriving, the hatch, the others, the stations, the explosions, Ben, Desmond, Time Changes, people having already met before, Jacob, Man in black etc. When I rewatch the series in a few years I'm really going to take each season at a time and keep relating every event to the big picture, being good vs. evil.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
So, I've finally seen the New Man In Charge.

[spoil]
First thing that surprised me is how short it felt. But, I guess I was building it up almost as a new episode, when it wasn't close to that.

I liked the Dharma explanation, that everything seemed to be on auto-pilot. But, it makes you wonder what would happen if either guy decided to quit in the past 20 years. It's fairly convenient that these two guys were willing to do that job for so long.

I liked the Walt thing right up until Hurley offered him a "job". Does that mean Hurley is going to anoint Walt the new protector? It just sucks to leave the show with one final open ended question like that.
[/spoil]

The box set itself is all kinds of geeky cool. I'm going to feel pretty silly when my nieces and nephew ask what it is and if they can play with it and I tell them that it's not a toy.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
So, I've finally seen the New Man In Charge.

[spoil]
First thing that surprised me is how short it felt. But, I guess I was building it up almost as a new episode, when it wasn't close to that.

I liked the Dharma explanation, that everything seemed to be on auto-pilot. But, it makes you wonder what would happen if either guy decided to quit in the past 20 years. It's fairly convenient that these two guys were willing to do that job for so long.

I liked the Walt thing right up until Hurley offered him a "job". Does that mean Hurley is going to anoint Walt the new protector? It just sucks to leave the show with one final open ended question like that.
[/spoil]

The box set itself is all kinds of geeky cool. I'm going to feel pretty silly when my nieces and nephew ask what it is and if they can play with it and I tell them that it's not a toy.

That's the same question I was referring to.

[spoil]What exactly IS "the job"?

Hurley is the new Jacob, Ben is the new Richard. So where does that leave Walt? Or "Keith Johnson", if you prefer. Did they ever refer to him as Keith before now? I've watched the series twice now and didn't catch anything.[/spoil]

John Cena*

About the man in charge

[spoil]So they answered a lot of questions. The palot drops. The reason for room 23. Why Pierre Chang ended up having so many alias'. They were all awesome explanations to lol now we know why Pierre was called Marvin Candle, Edgar Halliwax, and Mark Wickmund.

I'm pretty sure the "job" is Walt being a protector of the island with Hurley and Ben, it's quite obvious.[/spoil]

ClicheGuevara

Mar 29, 2004
San Jose, CA
[spoil]Walt had to go by a fake name or else he'd have been linked to Flight 815; Ben alludes to him being forced to pretend to be someone else at Santa Rosa. Remember that when Michael went back home he became Kevin Johnson.
The "job" is probably helping the whispers get off the island. Actually now that i think about it, they probably just need him to help give Michael the closure he needs to move on from the island.
I still don't see what makes Walt "special". I'm just going to assume that his friendship with Locke indicates he is capable of having the kind of connection with the island that Locke had and be happy with that.
[/spoil]

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
[spoil]Walt had to go by a fake name or else he'd have been linked to Flight 815; Ben alludes to him being forced to pretend to be someone else at Santa Rosa. Remember that when Michael went back home he became Kevin Johnson.
The "job" is probably helping the whispers get off the island. Actually now that i think about it, they probably just need him to help give Michael the closure he needs to move on from the island.
I still don't see what makes Walt "special". I'm just going to assume that his friendship with Locke indicates he is capable of having the kind of connection with the island that Locke had and be happy with that.
[/spoil]

[spoil]I know quite well about the whole name change thing with Michael....all I said was they didn't say what Walt's new name was before now.

Good point about the whispers.[/spoil]

Transplanted Caper

2x ATD Co-Champion
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
[SPOIL] Not too concerned about the open-endedness of Walt's "job". Just glad they resovled his storyline. The pallet drops, Room 23 and Chang's alias' were just icing on the cake for me. The only thing that really bothered me about Lost was Walt's storyline essentially falling off a cliff after how much they pushed it in the first two seasons. Really glad they used the DVD extra as an opportunity to resovle it[/SPOIL]

donkshow

Aug 19, 2007
Watched The New Man in Charge.

[spoil]It was pretty good and glad we got those answers. Not sure when I'm getting the boxset, so I figured I'd stream it. And I'm definitely okay with the answers that were given. Very plausible.

Like TC said, I'm glad they tied up the Walt storyline. [/spoil]

http://www.megavideo.com/?d=L1HS69NP

The New Man in Charge.

You're welcome.
Thanks for the link.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Anyone who's got the complete series set or anyone else who's seen info on what on the hidden disc want to share what's on it?

void

Jan 5, 2006
Anyone who's got the complete series set or anyone else who's seen info on what on the hidden disc want to share what's on it?

Apparently it's just an instruction video teaching you how to play that Senet game.

HABsurde

Jul 28, 2005
Montreal
Not to happy

went to different stores in the montreal Area to pick up season 6, not cool, the first 5 season came with french and english Audio... Not season 6.... What a ripoff...

i don't personaly care, but other member of my family do not speak or understand english that well...

I hope it will come in both audio format in another release...

really don't understand why that is, since the french version as to be available as it was shown on french tv this spring and summer....

common Lost, don't deceive me....

piqued

easy game
Nov 22, 2006
- Hurley, as new island protector, decides that as his first act he's going to send anybody remaining on the island home if they so want (people like Desmond, Cindy, Zach and Emma). He sends Ben to round them up, and Desmond accompanies him (basically to create tension in the show, but seeing as how this isn't the show I don't need to elaborate)
- Ben and Des find some of these remaining Others, but then a few armed stragglers from Widmore's team get the drop on them. They don't know their boss is dead nor that Flocke is dead, just that they would have good reason to detain both Ben and Desmond.
- They return to the beach camp where they docked their outriggers only to find a Zodiac raft there as well (courtesy of the time traveling Losties, and explaining where all the crafts in The Little Prince came from). They don't know what to think of this and thus send a few of their team into the jungle to investigate, taking Ben and Des along with them as they want to keep a close eye on them.
- The Others take this opportunity to incapacitate those on Widmore's team left behind to watch over them and hijack the Zodiac raft (explaining why it disappeared), leaving Ben and Desmond behind.
- Between when the Others left and Widmore's team returned to the beach camp, Sawyer & co. arrive at the beach and take an outrigger.
- Widmore's team returns to the beach, sees Locke (and assume it's Flocke) paddling away with one of their boats and the chase is on.

So, who gets shot? Most logical choice in this fantasy scenario I've created is Ben. It wouldn't cheat the fans because it was a significant character, it would give a somewhat twisted closure to the Ben-Juliet storyline as she gets some sort of revenge from the grave, and it also forces Desmond to make the decision of whether or not to jump into the water and save the man who tried to kill his wife. And he does save Ben's life, showing us what kind of man Des really is.
Once again, I bow to your theory-making prowess. That's what I'll choose to believe.

ABC's explanation about the outrigger (if that really is the story they're going to stick to and if it's even from the creators) is crap, much like the entirety of TNMIC. I do like the idea that the Black Rock was caught circling the Island for a time which is what causes the disparity between their ship being sighted in The Incident at day yet crashing ashore in Ab Aeterno at night. Though I remember we also came up with that same general explanation ourselves at the time.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Once again, I bow to your theory-making prowess. That's what I'll choose to believe.

ABC's explanation about the outrigger (if that really is the story they're going to stick to and if it's even from the creators) is crap, much like the entirety of TNMIC. I do like the idea that the Black Rock was caught circling the Island for a time which is what causes the disparity between their ship being sighted in The Incident at day yet crashing ashore in Ab Aeterno at night. Though I remember we also came up with that same general explanation ourselves at the time.

You should hear some of my more elaborate theories... I've probably spent more time these past few months theorizing about the show than I did during the 6 year run. I imagine some day I'll have trouble discerning between what is actually canon and what I told myself in my head.

Still, theorizing was half the fun when it was on the air so in a way I'm grateful there's still some holes left I had to fill myself.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Just watched Across the Sea with commentary by Lindelof and Cuse. Regardless of how you felt about the episode, I recommend you watch it. They touch on a lot of interesting things about the whole MiB/Jacob/Mother dynamic.

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
Please post details in spoilers. EW gave some hints...one about the mother I expected since the episode aired.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Please post details in spoilers. EW gave some hints...one about the mother I expected since the episode aired.

Off the top of my head:

[spoil]- They do allude to the mother possibly being the Smoke Monster (if that was what you were getting at). Darlton were being their usual coy self, leaving it up to the fans to ultimately decide, but you couldn't help but feel that was their intention. They specifically highlight all the destruction she seemingly caused and the fact that she leaves the camp smoking.

- They talk about the MiB being special, how his mother told him this and how he had the ability to see dead people (which Jacob could not do). They didn't make the connection, but it made me think of Ben seeing his mother as a young boy and Hurley's ability. Both of them turned out to be island leaders of some sort, so it would almost seem like the MiB's destiny was thwarted.

- The fact that Jacob turned out to be a bit of a mama's boy was brought up and that they tried to make the MiB a very sympathetic character (and I think he was in this episode). They also felt that the MiB had a much more compelling backstory than Jacob who was thrust into a role he didn't want because his brother rejected it.

- As I suspected, they discuss how their mother anointing one of them island protector was a long con. She didn't want the job anymore and this was evidenced by her thanking the MiB after he stabbed her.

- The rules are also discussed. Can they be broken? Are the rules other people have in the show related? They didn't come out and say it, but the gist I got from it was that the island protector made their own rules and had the power to enforce them. Mother had her rule that the brothers could not harm one another but once she passed her power to Jacob (and subsequently died) Jacob was able to kill his brother. Jacob got to then make his own rules, and maybe if he were a different person he could have made it so that his brother could never leave the island under any circumstances, but the way I see it is that his history of playing games with the MiB influenced him to make it possible for either side to "win". But that's all just conjecture on my part.[/spoil]

That's all I can think of at the moment. Nothing really specific, but it made me think quite a bit.

piqued

easy game
Nov 22, 2006
[spoil]If that's really what their intention was... it opens a huge can of worms.

If Mother was the smoke monster, that means that MiB != the smoke monster in the strict sense. The smoke monster is an older, ongoing entity that just happened to take MiB's shell, like it did later with John Locke. And if that's the case, all of MiB's motivations that were painstakingly set out in Across the Sea as a boy, then as an adult, and then seemingly reinforced over and over during the contemporary story with Man-in-Locke are meaningless and unrepresentative insofar as they are only valid if they happened to align with the smoke monster's preexisting goals. How does the conversation with Kate about Claire and his crazy mother make any sense? Judging by the way the smoke monster disregards the real John Locke as a sap, why shouldn't we think it has a similarly low opinion of MiB? Or even Mother? Why stop going back with her? Who knows what the real smoke monster is. Clearly no true origin was given or attempted with this story if what they're implying is true.

Now that I think about it, why did Mother even tolerate the presence of the Romans/whoever on the Island if she just wiped them out later? She clearly despised their values and way of life. If there were any arbitrary rules in place against killing them she ended up breaking them anyway. Maybe it was because she had transferred protectorship to Jacob already?

None of this makes much sense to me and I dislike that episode so strongly I don't really care to go back and rewatch to try to clear it up.[/spoil]

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
I'm not sure why we even have this in spoilers, so if you don't want to read anything about Jacob, the MiB, their mother, the Smoke Monster or the DVD commentary of the episode Across the Sea, skip this post. :)

Anywho, I'm not a proponent of the theory that their mother was the Smoke Monster (or in this case, a smoke monster) regardless of what I posted above about the commentary on the DVDs.

That being said, I don't think the theory undermines anything we've seen in the show. It's my belief that the Smoke Monster is just a pure force of nature. It has no goals, no evil plans, it just wants to exist and survive. The problem with that is that by existing it threatens the lives of everybody else. If you're a comic book geek, think Galactus. He could be described as "evil" by those he threatens, but in reality he's just doing what comes naturally to him.

The motivations of the Smoke Monster we saw through 6 seasons of the show are what they are because it took the form (and consciousness) of somebody who wanted off the island. Whatever motivations their mother had (if she was a smoke monster) were the motivations of the woman she used to be. The reason it never exhibited any of Locke's motives (other than a few residual personality quirks) is because that was more of a metamorphosis than a birth. The Smoke Monster as we knew it was born from the MiB's dead body being thrown down the cave, and it's heavily hinted at in the same episode that his mother may have gone down there at some point as well. It taking Locke's form was a conscious effort by the MiB's personality, and thus not a true transformation into Locke.

And Hell, if their mother was a smoke monster she may not have even been the "same one". Maybe smoke monsters are like hurricanes. A woman goes down into the cave of light, 'taints' it and hurricane Mom forms. Several thousand years later, her son goes down the same cave and hurricane MiB starts brewing. Maybe if he had never killed his mother there could have been two smoke monsters on the island. Doesn't really matter to me, frankly.

To me it wasn't the Smoke Monster that wanted off the island, it was the MiB, and that made his story that more tragic. Without getting into the debate of whether or not you could even consider him to be the man he once was (if your consciousness still exists, do you?), here's a guy who's only dream in life is to leave that island but that dream actually threatens the existence of everything he wants to see out there. He's a monster and he doesn't even know it.

Or maybe he isn't. Maybe Jacob was wrong and nothing would happen if he left the island. We don't know. By giving us their backstories and making them flawed, human characters it plants that seed of doubt in our minds. Had they turned out to be two all-powerful deities as some people wanted, things would have been much more black and white.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

On a semi-related note (and back to the topic of the DVD commentary), Darlton mention that the whole temple-like plug set-up at the Source that we see in the finale wasn't there when the MiB entered the cave. I had assumed otherwise, but that would explain why Jack and Desmond didn't turn all smokey on us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->