News Article: Loss of Horvat didn't hurt the Canucks powerplay

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
One place Horvat definitely won't be missed is on the PK. Helped lead to historically bad PK and was important in causing the PK to be as bad as it was.

Team placed too much emphasis on winning the draw. He might have done that better than others but once other team had the puck in our zone Horvat floundered. Kept zero pressure on the puck and simply too slow to react to situations.

Miller >>>>>>>Horvat in all situations.

One of the best moves team has made is not to pay Horvat and unload him at the near last years trade deadline. Return now questionable (we'll see about Hronek) but Horvat simply couldn't and shouldn't have been signed.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
One place Horvat definitely won't be missed is on the PK. Helped lead to historically bad PK and was important in causing the PK to be as bad as it was.

Team placed too much emphasis on winning the draw. He might have done that better than others but once other team had the puck in our zone Horvat floundered. Kept zero pressure on the puck and simply too slow to react to situations.

Miller >>>>>>>Horvat in all situations.

One of the best moves team has made is not to pay Horvat and unload him at the near last years trade deadline. Return now questionable (we'll see about Hronek) but Horvat simply couldn't and shouldn't have been signed.
I agree with pretty much all of this.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
What's wrong with what @TruGr1t said? You cut out the part where he said "or whatever you could have gotten him for if you'd proactively signed him." 100% the Canucks could have signed Horvat last summer. Horvat's agent used Couturier as a comparable. I think it's safe to assume that the Canucks could have signed Horvat for less than Couturier's contract.
Oh one would think so.

But the poster you are quoting finds this the most ridiculous concept in human history.

Reactions: F A N

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Horvat's scoring basically cratered after he left the Canuck. When he was traded, he had 32 goals and by the end of the season he was stuck on 37.

Islanders sold the farm and threw in the deed, by signing Horvat to an eight-year extension. And judging from the comments on other forums, Islander fans already have worry beads out over his contract.

Have to admit I was wrong to question trading Horvat instead of Miller. J.T. may be older, but he's a light-years better player. And I predict Horvat's performance on the Island going forward will remove all doubt.

No matter what or who, Horvat was going to get too much money. I think he's paid for his offensive numbers, and slightly under what everyone thought he'd be as a defensive player in 2014. He's not horrible defensively, but certainly not a stalwart either.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No matter what or who, Horvat was going to get too much money. I think he's paid for his offensive numbers, and slightly under what everyone thought he'd be as a defensive player in 2014. He's not horrible defensively, but certainly not a stalwart either.

I think that's the issue. If you don't think you can win with Horvat as the team's top two C then you can't pay him what he wants. But strictly speaking, he is a top 2 C, is likely to put up 27+ goals ~55-65pts, wins faceoffs, and used in all situations. That's not factoring in that maybe he is a 30+ goal scorer going forward. Plus he also had 10 goals in 17 playoff games last time around.

On the open market he gets over $7M. Certainly $5.125M AAV is a ridiculous offer (if true).

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Oh one would think so.

But the poster you are quoting finds this the most ridiculous concept in human history.

Debated replying.... Can't help it.

You clearly missed my point, but that figures.

No I think to think we could have signed Horvat for anywhere in the 6's ridiculous. I think we could have maybe had him for less than that deal, but anywhere in the 7.5 mil range which would be the most likely given the evidence at hand best case scenario. Miller is still then on a much better deal...

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think that's the issue. If you don't think you can win with Horvat as the team's top two C then you can't pay him what he wants. But strictly speaking, he is a top 2 C, is likely to put up 27+ goals ~55-65pts, wins faceoffs, and used in all situations. That's not factoring in that maybe he is a 30+ goal scorer going forward. Plus he also had 10 goals in 17 playoff games last time around.

On the open market he gets over $7M. Certainly $5.125M AAV is a ridiculous offer (if true).

Yeah, the Nuge deal is laughable. Like you alluded to, problem is that Horvat is on the open market, I'm not sure that he's worth it. Slightly north of $7M would have been my last offer, and I think that's a deal you are still hoping and praying on. If he could just PK adequately, this is a completely different conversation.

Reactions: arttk and racerjoe

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's not a chance in the world this contract will age well for the Islanders. Bo just strikes me as the kind of player who'll fall off dramatically once he hits his early 30's.

But then the Canucks are very familiar with that type of player trajectory--because it was usually Jimbo who signed them.

Reactions: arttk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad