Losing in Game 7 twice in 15 years or Swept twice in 3 years?

Which fate as a fan would you prefer?

• Total voters

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
In hockey, more than baseball or basketball, most series seem to go 6 or 7 games. Sweeps are seemingly less common and game 7s are still the height of a series run.

I've wondered this recently however in terms of teams that haven't won or won rarely.

What as a fanbase would you prefer?

Losing in a hard fought 7 game series final or simply being swept? The question is then amplified by experiencing it twice and in different time ranges.

I have presented two scenario that have actually happened in real life to a close degree. The Vancouver Canucks lost the Final in 1994 and 2011 in 7 games each time, not exactly 15 years to round out but close enough. Meanwhile the Boston Bruins were swept in 1988 and lost in 5 games in 1990, again not exact but close enough. What's more is the Bruins lost in 77 and 78, one of which was again a sweep meaning 4 losses in 12 appearances technically, but that's not the question.

Basically the premise is simple. Do you prefer 2 stronger teams losing in epic series 15 years apart or having a more concentrated run but one where your team is steam rolled both times in the Final stage?

I guess it's a legacy vs. competition question. You're probably not going to discuss 0-4 losing teams too fondly as oppose to a "so close" scenario.

Last edited:

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
In hockey, more than baseball or basketball, most series seem to go 6 or 7 games. Sweeps are seemingly less common and game 7s are still the height of a series run.

I've wondered this recently however in terms of teams that haven't won or won rarely.

What as a fanbase would you prefer?

Losing in a hard fought 7 game series final or simply being swept? The question is then amplified by experiencing it twice and in different time ranges.

I have presented two scenario that have actually happened in real life to a close degree. The Vancouver Canucks lost the Final in 1994 and 2011 in 7 games each time, not exactly 15 years to round out but close enough. Meanwhile the Boston Bruins were swept in 1988 and lost in 5 games in 1990, again not exact but close enough. What's more is the Bruins lost in 77 and 78, one of which was again a sweep meaning 4 losses in 12 appearances technically, but that's not the question.

Basically the premise is simple. Do you prefer 2 stronger teams losing in epic series 15 years apart or having a more concentrated run but one where your team is steam rolled both times in the Final stage?

I guess it's a legacy vs. competition question. You're probably not going to discuss 0-4 losing teams too fondly as oppose to a "so close" scenario.

P.S. Funny side-note, the Orlando Magic in NBA were swept both appearances in 1994 and 2009, exactly 15 years apart.
game 7 as you put up a fight, as well as your team being capable of winning

for the bolded, the Magic were not swept in 2009, they lost in 5 to the Lakers

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
As a Caps fan 1998 was pretty easy to take because that Wings team was so much better, and the Caps never really had a chance.

Can't imagine the heartbreak of my team losing a close 7 game Cup final. So I think I'd prefer the sweeps.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't understand the mentality of wanting to "get it over with" if you're going to lose. We watch sports to be entertained, not for bragging rights. A game 7 series is going to be a far more entertaining emotional roller coaster than getting swept. 2011 has a ton of great memories, despite the outcome. No chance I would swap it for a sweep.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don't understand the mentality of wanting to "get it over with" if you're going to lose. We watch sports to be entertained, not for bragging rights. A game 7 series is going to be a far more entertaining emotional roller coaster than getting swept. 2011 has a ton of great memories, despite the outcome. No chance I would swap it for a sweep.

I look at it as. Option 1 make the finals twice in the next 3 years and then wait and see what happens in year 4 vs make the finals twice in 15 years (knowing you lose both times still) and wait to see what happens in year 16

I voted option 1. While looking forward to year 4

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Losing game 7 of a final is far more interesting and enjoyable than getting swept.

The journey's far more important than ultimately winning. If you skipped the playoffs and had the cup awarded for your team automatically with no games played, would you be happy?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
If you skipped the playoffs and had the cup awarded for your team automatically with no games played, would you be happy?
As a fan of a team going into year 53 of trying to win a Cup, I'm getting less and less picky about how we finally win it.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I think the swept option because it means we made 2 finals in 3 years - the other option is 2 finals in 15 years, and either way they're both losses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->