Los Angeles Times: Kings' Matt Frattin pays for his mistakes

Rob11

Nov 9, 2012
Frattin has been a huge disappointment, No hitting(worth mentioning), No speed, No creating, No nothing.

So surprised. What I always noticed with frattin is when he starts to play the body and get physical, the rest of his game picks up. If he's not playing that way then that's his first problem.

His game is playing the body, driving with speed and finishing plays set up by his line mates.

kingscups

Jun 5, 2008
California
So surprised. What I always noticed with frattin is when he starts to play the body and get physical, the rest of his game picks up. If he's not playing that way then that's his first problem.

His game is playing the body, driving with speed and finishing plays set up by his line mates.

This seems to be a team problem this year so far, No one is being physical. I mean I look back to our cup run, and the way games opened up when we started throwing bodies around. I don't understand?

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
I have no problem with them holding Frattin accountable for his mistakes, but why aren't guys like Regher, King, and Muzzin held as accountable as Frattin and Martinez are?

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
I have no problem with them holding Frattin accountable for his mistakes, but why aren't guys like Regher, King, and Muzzin held as accountable as Frattin and Martinez are?

You mean Muzzin that guy who keeps getting to watch the game and not play in it? King who plays well moves up plays badly and moves down or Kopitar who can't seem to get a goal but has been dominant and is the reason we just won yesterday?

Or Frattin who hasn't done anything but wear a jersey and has played worse then any of them?

8 games in and it's not the end of the world but the guy had a top-6 position given to him to show what he can do and he hasn't exactly grabbed the bull by the horns...

If you can't score you had better play defense. If those aren't working at least hit someone... if that isn't part of your game why be on the ice?

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I love Frattins game and am certain he will get it going before too long. That goal was almost exclusively the result of Stoll missing an assignment and not Frattin's fault.

That said anyone who expected him to step in and within 8 games become the answer to our prayers hasn't managed their expectations well in this situation. Frattin is a rookie for all intents and purposes and is like almost every rookie going to need time and patients to become the player that he can be for us.

In the meantime it will be ups and downs but he has the goods and will given the proper support and instruction become a solid player.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I love Frattins game and am certain he will get it going before too long. That goal was almost exclusively the result of Stoll missing an assignment and not Frattin's fault.

That said anyone who expected him to step in and within 8 games become the answer to our prayers hasn't managed their expectations well in this situation. Frattin is a rookie for all intents and purposes and is like almost every rookie going to need time and patients to become the player that he can be for us.

In the meantime it will be ups and downs but he has the goods and will given the proper support and instruction become a solid player.

This post is why I'm not freaking out about him yet.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I agree TG. I saw the Ranger game in Las Vegas and Frattin made a great pass to Carter for his goal. I think the skill set is there. We can't expect him to be an offensive dynamo playing with Stoll and Clifford or whoever else is playing wing on that line.

As far as I can see the only guys that have really been effective physically on the forecheck thus far are King and Nolan. I know a lot of you don't think King is effective at anything, but you are wrong. Trust when a guy that is probably close to 240 lbs. is mashing defensemen into the boards it has an impact.

Note that Frattin has been credited with 17 hits, so he hasn't been invisible at all. I just don't think his hits are having as much impact as we would like in terms to turning the puck over in the offensive zone. Brown had this problem early in his career as well.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I agree TG. I saw the Ranger game in Las Vegas and Frattin made a great pass to Carter for his goal. I think the skill set is there. We can't expect him to be an offensive dynamo playing with Stoll and Clifford or whoever else is playing wing on that line.

As far as I can see the only guys that have really been effective physically on the forecheck thus far are King and Nolan. I know a lot of you don't think King is effective at anything, but you are wrong. Trust when a guy that is probably close to 240 lbs. is mashing defensemen into the boards it has an impact.

Note that Frattin has been credited with 17 hits, so he hasn't been invisible at all. I just don't think his hits are having as much impact as we would like in terms to turning the puck over in the offensive zone. Brown had this problem early in his career as well.

Thanks Ms Wolf and K17 right as rain.

On King, I honestly think that his size makes him appear to be skating with less intent or his hits seem less aggressive then others but the truth is that a 6'3 1/2 241lbs guy hits you it hurts and takes a little bit of steam out of you each time it happens. King is a solid utility forward and an asset to our team. Same can be said for Nolan.

Frattin having accumulated 17 hits so far is an excellent stat (I didn't know that he had done so well there) and thanks for pointing that out. Frattin has to learn this system. It isn't as simple as it looks or as it is made out to be. It will take him time but in the end he is going to be a solid NHLer.

Rob11

Nov 9, 2012
Leafs fan here.

Hows Frattin doing now? Is he being put in an opportunity to score?

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Leafs fan here.

Hows Frattin doing now? Is he being put in an opportunity to score?

Just been really inconsistent. Before his latest injury, he was playing really, really well for a few games, but was invisible for a long stretch before that.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Toronto fans talked very highly of Frattin. I was expecting more from him.

Dropdapuck

Jul 21, 2010
That's something I'm learning as a young professional and something I have to keep learning about their system if I want to play."

This quote bothers me a bit. Hope it's just an off the cuff thing and not reflective of his buy-in.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Toronto fans talked very highly of Frattin. I was expecting more from him.

Leafs' fans said he was very fast and was good before the injury and not so good after. I think that's what we've seen from him.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
If you don't expect anything more than a 3rd liner I think he's been fine. Plus, what Scrivens has done for us makes up for it. I'm still happy with the Bernier deal.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Frattin is a rookie who has shown flashes of great play when given the chance to do so. He has a way to go but really what is a realistic expectation from a kid coming from a team that has only just developed an actual system?

I mean he is learning our system and it takes time. Frattin is doing just fine imo and has come a long way from the start of the season. He is a natural RW (though he can play c too) that was stuck on a new team in a new system that has won a cup and been to the WCF's over the past two seasons and is also in a new conference that plays an entirely different style of hockey.

Frattin is an excellent example of exactly how effective a developmental coach that Mark Morris is and also illustrates how important a part of our overall success he is now and going forward. Had we drafted Frattin he would be an excellent fit today.

I happen to see allot of promise in Frattin's game and a serious amount of development. I also believe that if DS would leave him on one line on the right side and give him time to learn how things work in our system that MF would be having a great deal more success.

We pretty much brought the kid in and said "here ya go kid, now go out prove that you belong on our top 6 on your off wing or we are going to treat you like a vet who doesn't know what to do".

Frattin is solid and given the time and opp he will prove that he belongs. If not he isn't a great loss to us but since we could have had Scrivens and Taylor Biggs instead it would make the JB deal a little less then what it is so far today.

OMG I AM A BROKEN RECORD.

That is all.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad