Through 2 Rounds of CHL Playoffs, 19/36 Playoff Series Ended in Sweeps, 29/36 Series Decided in 5 Games or Fewer

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I think this is typical of most junior hockey anyways. It's always cyclical.

4 out of 8 in the dub was sweeps, and two more were 4-1. Most of the teams that swept loaded up big time (MJ, Saskatoon, SW and Portland).

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think this is typical of most junior hockey anyways. It's always cyclical.

4 out of 8 in the dub was sweeps, and two more were 4-1. Most of the teams that swept loaded up big time (MJ, Saskatoon, SW and Portland).
Yeah the WHL is also always pretty lopsided.

Not sure if I've ever seen advancing teams going (potentially) 32-3 collectively though.

Reactions: hn777 and Bubbles

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
5 of the eight series ended in sweeps, two of the series ended in five games, one series has a Game 5 today with the team at home today up 3 games to 1. 16 out of 18 teams in the QMJHL make the playoffs, is there a problem with parity and too big of a difference between the "haves" loading up and the "have nots" selling to a larger extent than is desirable? Does this kind of lopsided results throughout the League play a big role in why the QMJHL representative has done so well in the Memorial Cup in recent years?

I'm not an expert but watching all three leagues over the last years my impression is that the Q lost a step or two compared to the other two CHL leagues. That of course doesn't mean that loaded teams can't still be good.

Another impression of mine is that it mostly isn't the best but the most energized teams doing well at the Memorial Cup. CHL season is long, kids are still young, not grown men. They tire out eventually, pick up more and more bruises, even injuries. Since it's often easier to win the Q than the other two leagues, of course the Q teams tend to have more left in the tank for the memorial cup. I believe energy is also more important than home advantage.

I think 2022 is a pretty good example. Saint John just dominated loaded teams like Hamilton or Edmonton completely. Tired and banged up, they didn't stand a chance against Saint John.

Nothing against the Q though. I think it's a recent development and it might change again. Right now however, I do think that the league doesn't quite have the depth of the other two leagues.

Reactions: Bubbles

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal
I'm not an expert but watching all three leagues over the last years my impression is that the Q lost a step or two compared to the other two CHL leagues. That of course doesn't mean that loaded teams can't still be good.

Another impression of mine is that it mostly isn't the best but the most energized teams doing well at the Memorial Cup. CHL season is long, kids are still young, not grown men. They tire out eventually, pick up more and more bruises, even injuries. Since it's often easier to win the Q than the other two leagues, of course the Q teams tend to have more left in the tank for the memorial cup. I believe energy is also more important than home advantage.

I think 2022 is a pretty good example. Saint John just dominated loaded teams like Hamilton or Edmonton completely. Tired and banged up, they didn't stand a chance against Saint John.

Nothing against the Q though. I think it's a recent development and it might change again. Right now however, I do think that the league doesn't quite have the depth of the other two leagues.
More excuses.

Last season the Remparts were 53-12-3 in the Q vs the Seattle Thunderbirds who went 54-11-3 in the WHL.

2022 Sea Dogs went 47-17-4 vs Hamilton Bulldogs who went 51-12-5 in their league
2019 Huskies went 59-8-1 vs Halifax 49-14-4 -> Guelph went 40-18-10, admittedly a nice run, and Raiders 54-10-4

2018 Titans 43-15-10 (their turn for a nice run) and the Pats 40-25-7, also good run -> Broncos 48-17-5 and Bulldogs 43-18-7

The only year you can definitely say a Q team "had it the easiest" of the bunch was 2019

While last year Quebec lost 2 playoff games in the Q, Seattle only lost 3 in the WHL. Hamilton lost 3 in 2022. Sea Dogs didn't even make it past round 1 in 2022 and Rouyn-Noranda lost 4 in 2019.

Remember, language don't make hockey players and 1980 was 44 years ago

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
5 of the eight series ended in sweeps, two of the series ended in five games, one series has a Game 5 today with the team at home today up 3 games to 1. 16 out of 18 teams in the QMJHL make the playoffs, is there a problem with parity and too big of a difference between the "haves" loading up and the "have nots" selling to a larger extent than is desirable? Does this kind of lopsided results throughout the League play a big role in why the QMJHL representative has done so well in the Memorial Cup in recent years?
Two of the teams (Moncton and Halifax) were favourites who got swept. Halifax especially was by far the favourites

So id say no.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Through two rounds, here are the stats on the number of Series that ended in sweeps:
QMJHL: 7/12
OHL: 6/12
WHL: 6/12

Total CHL: 19/36

3 of the 5 QMJHL series that did not end in Sweeps were decided in 5 games
1 Series ended in 7 games
1 Series is ongoing and heading to a Game 6

2 of the 6 OHL series that did not end in Sweeps were decided in 5 games
3 Series were decided in 6 games
1 Series is ongoing and heading to a Game 6

5 of the 6 WHL series that did not end in Sweeps were decided in 5 games
1 Series was decided in 6 games

In the CHL, in total: 29 out of 36 Series were decided in 5 games or fewer.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island

Anything to cope

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad