Loose-Leafs #36: Don't be So Fast to Show The Money + Peanut Butter Jelly Lines

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Loose-Leafs
Song of the Week:Money! (That's What I Want)

48 Hours (or So) until Madness Ensues

though I hope the Leafs aren't planing to do a lot of this:

shut_up_and_take_my_money.gif

as the last time that happened we ended up with David Clarkson, and oh Lord help me, I can not deal with another year of how we got another horrendous contract and silly nicknames about the new guy. With buyouts still happening though there are a lot of ifs and and maybes in the air - so we'll have to see what happens Tuesday. But I am hoping beyond hope that the Leafs are more active - say July 10th or so and getting those "oh.... a deal!" players or making some shrewd deals.

Congratulations! You're a Leaf!

Draft weekend was a few days ago, and Shanahan has spoken: we're drafting skill, starting with one:

king-joffrey-game-of-thrones-roast-hbo.jpg

Oops, sorry, I mean

NHL__32.JPG

I know there are some people who are still up in arms about this that we didn't draft someone taller, bigger, more 'defensive' oriented, and this is the same old same old. But I was listening to a lot of radio up until the draft - and I think everyone was convinced that the Leafs would draft Ritchie - big, tall, man-child, Canadian, all of that stuff.

And almost every single pundit was shocked and surprised that we went with small and skill. (and highly skilled at that). All of our picks have that high-skill, a bit of risk- bit of a project to them past William - but I think Shanahan (if not everyone else) - is finally getting. The fact that Nylander said that every part of his game he needs to work on doesn't worry me about the grumblings that he is diva-esque, or his defense needs help. You can work on attitude, you can teach defense. You can not teach skill.

So welcome to the seven new members of the leafs organization. You shall be worshiped, hated, exalted and spat upon with every other breath. You'll grow to love it.

Also -

polak_zpsf3aa9274.jpg

Roman Polak was traded for our 4th round pick, and Carl Gunnarsson. People are still lamenting about this - but I choose to be optimistic that this is a good thing for our defensive group. Welcome to Toronto, Roman!

Thanks for the Memories

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa2.jpg

You'll be missed. (by some). We never really got to know Carl as much as we did the other guys - but I think it is something that he was given a letter, and one of our better players. (I mean - out of the entire defensive group he was over +2. he was doing something right). I do hope your hips are all right, and you have a wonderful time in St Louis.

Also - pretty much say goodbye to:

Mason Raymond
David Bolland
Nikolai Kulemon
Troy Bodie
Jay 'Silent Jay' McClemment
Paul Ranger

As - Bolland is deluded in his contract requests, and everyone else hasn't been talked to by management.

sound-of-music-gif1.gif

(Nonis. it is okay to just let Bolland go. Shanahan too. You do not need to give him all the monies. You don't need to give him all that term. Holland is there and he will learn to grow into position. You already lost the 3 picks - do not compound the problem. the man can't even turn left yet.)

Madness In July

tumblr_md6hrvEpHg1rgfzh9o1_500.gif

I love UFA day so much. I hate what the cap has done to it - but I love it just the same. Even though the Leafs get burned and burned badly by this day (and trade deadline day) - it's still exciting to see who exactly is willingly wanting to be a Leaf. Who management thinks will at least solidify some sort of help for our team. Who will be cherished in July and then eviscerated come November because they just flat out stink (or you know. gets hurt or something).

Slowly like molasses, we're starting to see what Shanahan wants for the Leafs. a lot of skill (see the draft). as well as not wanting to rush into July 1st. (see - the Shanahan july 1st thread). He doesn't want to dip into it to build the team, year after year after year. Which, you know - you shouldn't.

I think the people we sign is going to be a clear cut indicator of what we're expecting next season - ie: we're going to.. quasi-tank (because we clearly can't do it amazingly spectacular like Buffalo) or we're going to solidify some lines up - and try to make a push for the playoffs again. I think either option is... dooable come Tuesday.

There are a lot of rumours (that's like saying there's sand in the desert).

Will Brodeur land here? Dan Boyle? Bryan Boyle? Michalek? Willie Mitchell? Stasny? Or do we do some wowzer of a trade that we don't even see coming. (featuring Dion and/or Kessel?) We don't know - and won't know until Noon on Tuesday.

So-excited-gif3.gif

I know some people are making assumptions and decisions on a day by day basis - but I've decided I'm not going to make a final assumption on this team - until Training Camp. (as in. after). I think having everything in place (ie: assistant coaches, whose made the team, who is signed, etc) will help me decide how i'm going to temper my expectations (ie: playoff push, or Jack Eichel Sweepstakes [as again - there is no way on Gods green earth, we're going to be getting McDavid even with we went 0-82 - you know Buffalo and/or Florida and/or Edmonton wins the draft lottery].

Daisvision: They Go together like Peanut Butter & Jelly and Bread.

The Best Damned Line in Hockey for about 2/3rds of the season

3U2hGKg.jpg

I personally feel this is a line that can only get better - and it would be nice if they weren't cheaters and would help out along the 1/2 boards thank you very much. But when they are all on - they are magic together. JVR Set career highs (30-31-61), Bozak (I think?) set career highs, and Kessel was this close to 40. Again. Maybe next year.

I think one of my favourite Kessel goals this season - was this one

Per usual - this season as is tradition, Kessel gets labeled with being fat, and lazy, uninterested, and one dimensional, and all of these other things, that make me wonder (per usual) - how much of this is still lingering resentment because of The Trade. and people usually think that images like this:

phil_kessel.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

is a symbol of his lack of commitment to fitness and conditioning (where as some players have flat out said, it's usually because he realises he's on the jumbotron and doesn't want to be shown on it).

but the thing I'll remember most was once the dust settled from the meltdown of 2013 - Kessel was one of the few people who apologised to leafs nation and sounded miserable and wondered what more he could have done, and that he should have been better so it didn't happen. It will be interesting to see how he responds to it next season.

Ah. Happier times. When we were winning games. Bozak also (i think?) had a career year in points and in goals - and it makes you wonder had he not been injured twice this season if he would have eclipsed it. At this point you would think his momma named him Tyler "Not a First line Centre" Bozak and there was a lot of harping on his contract. Though I'm pretty certain having a 4.2 million second line centre - will look pretty darn good in a few years, yes?

i would like him to work on A: being healthy - his tricep two seasons ago, his oblique and something else? this season - not good - as well as him improving on his faceoffs. (because hes going to be thrown out there a lot, so he might as well be over 500 on them). and he was part of the trifecta that made our shootouts so magical this season. (though - had they sucked - we would have probably been challenging for Bennet/Drasitil so maybe another reason to hate him, yes?) ;)

Happier days. When we were winning games.

Something that Randy said that was 100 percent improved from last season was that JVR stopped "Yes-Butting everything." It just simply became "yes." And it showed - Career highs in both goals and assists, and showed the world that he can score from anywhere, but his favourite way to score was between the legs

Here is every single one of his goals - I bet you 15 of them were between the legs, or attempted between the legs :laugh:

I have no idea if this line will stay together next season. (Ie: they could put lupul back up on that line, moving JVR to Kadri's line or just mixing things all up completely) - but i think this was one amazing line this season - and if they simply commit to defense (even a bit) it will be so much better. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad