Loose-Leafs #3: The Curious Case Of Things that start with "C"

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Loose-Leafs
nothing in the world can stop the Leafs... unless the team is Carolina, Chicago, or Columbus.​

♬Come... along with me
to Daisy's corner of the world
the Leafs are doing well...
in her little corner of the world!♪

♫My team, they hit and they score a lot of goals
they're first in the east....
they're being outshot, out played
but they're still winning games ♫

Come along with me
to Daisy's corner of the world
the Leafs often win...
in her little corner of the world..

♫We're out shot... outplayed
but all will be okay...
we're first in the east, and
we can't be beat...

♫ Come... along with me
to Daisy's little corner of the world
where the Leafs are alright..
in Daisy's little corner of the world

Negativity, and crap
will be almighty slapped
we're good... we're okay..
In Daisy's Corner of the World...

[parody lyrics based off "Yo La Tengo "My little Corner of the World" by Daisy"]

even though I have to work for 12 hours tomorrow (sigh -the things I do for Christmas Vacation) - this weeks Loose-Leafs!

The Toronto Maple Leafs after 12 Games:

8-4-0: 16 Points [I can't count]

Brief Stats
Goals per Game: 3.2 (8th)
Goals against: 2.6 (13th)
Powerplay: 26.2% (5th)
Penalty Kill: 86.4% (6th)

If The Playoffs Were Today

If the playoffs were today
the :leafs :bruins :bolts would claim the guaranteed spots in the Atlantic, :habs and :wings would win the wildcard spots. the Habs would cross over to the Met division

:leafs vs :wings
:bruins vs :bolts

Hell Yeah!

Curious Case Of Things that start with the Letter C
Losing to teams that cities start with the letter C

This may be, hands down the weirdest start of the year so far:

mSAhv3E.jpg

Clearly it won't be like this all year round - but it's just hilariously funny (and also, spock-eye brow raising) that we've only lost to teams that start with C. I wonder if anyone brought this to the teams attention yet it would be awesome for a chuckle or too.

I also like the spread of the four teams:
Colorado is one of the top teams in the league so far
Chicago is the defending cup champs

Columbus is fair to middling
and we are Carolina's.. you know what.

I think the fact that we are 8 and 4 and you go down the next closest teams in the east:

Pittsburgh - 7-5-0
Wings - 6-4-2
Boston - 7-3-0
Tampa - 7-3-0
Montreal - 6-5-0

We're holding our own. Our compete level isn't there, but the :pens game totally had it - the most complete game I think we've played. I would also consider the :ducks in there, even though you can argue the first period was blah, and the second period with the Pens were blah. But if we're ... I don't want to say holding back - but we'll work with it, until we see our chance and then start smoking people.

(I also wonder if 1/2 of this is due to the fact that we're playing with a lot of AHLers, and the lines are a bit off).

People are going to complain that we're still being out shot, out possessed or whatever and we can't sustain it. but the Wings aren't really setting the world on fire by their play. Neither is Boston. right now neither is Pittsburgh. it would be one thing of those teams were hot - and just "happened to lose." everyone is still working the kinks out, as are we, and I think it's darn time - while acknowledging the poor play - that we're good. we're really good, and when we're all healthy and our hitting play comes together again, watch out!

The Curious Case of Carlyle
Mastermind or Stooge?

1297363297359_ORIGINAL.jpg

sometimes I don't understand people​

Randy has been getting slagged a lot (I personally feel since the man's been hired). People wanted Eakins, then people didn't think he did a good job re: the Boston Situation, and people are DOOM! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! that our play isn't super hot right now - as if they think Randy is chomping on a cigar, and thinking "well.. as long as we win, eh?"

No! You can see Randy's frustration regarding some of the stupid plays the team made, you hear it in press conferences. And I think he's taking the right approach. when the team is tight, he doesn't scream at them, he just tells them to calm down, and just do their thing. when we lose he brings out the bright bright yellow ball and let the boys have fun. When it's time to ride the team hard, Randy does it - and when it's time to calm them down Randy does that.

You can argue that Carlyle is a stubborn goat and has his fixations on people and the decisions that he makes (not making calls, or tossing McClement in the last 90 seconds of a game when we're down a goal)... but then you see him doing Coaching Jedi Mind Tricks on Julien during Game 2 (or even tonight against the Pittsburgh coach) and you really feel like knows what he's doing.

(and I always ask: if we fired Carlyle - who the heck do we replace him with?)

Curious Case Of Cheering or Jeering

glass+half+full.jpg

I don't understand why people cheering for this team will go "oh we have no chance!" or "ugh... we're going to lose.." whatever is happening with the team, a lot of people focus on all the negativity. There's never any credit given, no one looks for the positives, it's just. "oh this sucks, oh they suck, oh my god, [insert goat of the day in here] sucks."

Then when questioned - the answer is "Oh, i'm just being a realist." or "Oh, you guys are homers, I'm just trying to show (something, whatever)."

to quote my grandpa - he always said to aim for the stars. this way if you fall, you'll land in the trees. If you aim for the trees, if you fall, you'll land in the mud.

I will say this all the time: to me, in my mind - we are making the playoffs, until the day we are mathematically eliminated. When we're in the playoffs - we are going to go to the stanley cup finals, until the 0:00 of the third (or other) periods. So yes, sometimes the team (like last week) will break my heart. Yes, I will at times cry big fat girl tears when the team gets eliminated the way they do in game 7.

but if you are going to be cheering the team and have to extend the same amount of energy being optimistic about the teams chances - or pessimistic about the teams chances - doesn't it make more sense to just enjoy the ride? the Leafs I personally feel will never be that "perfect" team (that plays the way some people want the Leafs to play). I don't think the Leafs will be that team that has all the pieces that everyone wants. But the team has a lot of heart. And I think they will shock a lot of people about how good they are.

(i know this isn't going to change a lick - but really - hope and faith makes the wins a LOT more awesome). Every year there's a Cinderella team - and there is no reason why we can't be that team.

Player Of the Week

dion.jpg

Captain, My Captain​

Obviously - when dealing with C's we should talk about the Big C! Dion - for the past three weeks - have been dyn-o-mite. And I wonder if this is a bit of the Boston Factor (and the Olympic tryout) that's putting a huge pep in Dion's step. I haven't seen him play a really "horrendous" game all season so far. He's not going out for THE HIT but when he smacks you (see the hit on the Duck's player that totally, and utterly changed that game on it's head. In case you missed it here's the sexy awesome hit:

tumblr_mv3mafWCdd1qfu7qlo1_1280.jpg

He scored the tying goal, and had an awesome assist on Bolland's shorty tonight. Our Captain: the player of the week.

Next Week At A Glance

We're heading out west. Usually our western road trip has caused a lot of issues for our boys in Blue and White. We are playing three games this week

Tuesday, October 29th
:leafs @ :edmonton (Sportsnet-O, GDT Available, Sign up! Find a Stream - this is a 9:00 start, plan your evening accordingly)

Wednesday, October 30th
:leafs @ :flames (TSN National Game - GDT Available, Sign up! - this is an 8:00pm est start, plan your evening accordingly)

Saturday, November 2nd
:leafs @ :nucks - HNIC - bring towels to wipe down your tvs because you know Hughson and Simpson will be drooling all night. (the GDT is available too - what the heck guys - why are you guys not signing up?!)

(note: after the 2nd, the next game won't be until 8th of November)

see you guys next week!

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Good Job :)

Just 1 note, Wings would cross over in the above playoff scenario. We have a more points than the Pens so we'd face the WC with less which would be the Habs

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Good Job :)

Just 1 note, Wings would cross over in the above playoff scenario. We have a more points than the Pens so we'd face the WC with less which would be the Habs

Oooohh.
Only the NHL would come up with something as stupidly complicated as that. I just thought 2nd wild card cross over, boom.

anyhoo - thanks you guys :) like I said, I do this just to A: give some light and happy on the board, bring up some stuff, and let people know about next week. but it's cool to see that people like them :)

catgoldfish

Nov 15, 2004
British Columbia
I wonder if it's any "C" in the team. Like the Canucks also. Our record against them isn't very good. Here's hoping it's just the cities not the teams name.

Tyler Biggs*

It was obvious that the Leafs would win, because Pittsburgh doesn't start with "C".

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Amazing as always Daisy.

And Phaneuf defiantly deserves player of the week. He should be one of the leading candidates for the Norris right now.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
How frustrated must our haters be right now?
According to them:

Corsi proves we just overachieved last season and would miss the playoffs.
Yet somehow we are 8-4 right now.

Phaneuf is the most overrated player in the league who makes multiple bonehead mistakes a game.
Yet this season he has been nearly flawless and out played Subban, Karlsson, Weber and Letang head to head.

Kessel is just a one dimensional scorer you cant build around or win with. They also said that he wouldn't resign with us.
Yet his all around game has grown tremendously with us. He has become one of the more underrated playmakers in the game. He backchecks as well as nearly anyone in our top 6 and is often out protecting a lead at the end of games. He lead our team to the playoffs and helped take the eastern champs to game 7 OT. And finally this summer he committed to be here for the next 9 seasons.

It really must be driving them crazy.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
According to them:

Phaneuf is the most overrated player in the league who makes multiple bonehead mistakes a game.
Yet this season he has been nearly flawless and out played Subban, Karlsson, Weber and Letang head to head.

Kessel is just a one dimensional scorer you cant build around or win with. They also said that he wouldn't resign with us.
Yet his all around game has grown tremendously with us. He has become one of the more underrated playmakers in the game. He backchecks as well as nearly anyone in our top 6 and is often out protecting a lead at the end of games. He lead our team to the playoffs and helped take the eastern champs to game 7 OT. And finally this summer he committed to be here for the next 9 seasons.

which makes the world a more happier place :)

the C thing is for cities that start with C because we beat the Canadiens..

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
According to them:

So ****ing true and beautiful!!!!

Also Daisy wonderful work! great work

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad