Loose-Leafs #25: The Day The Leafs Broke Daisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Loose-Leafs
Song of the Week: Addicted - Kelly Clarkson

Daisy during the 8 Game Losing Streak

At first. I was like this:

giphy.gif

I wasn't worried. No problems, no worries, Montreal just had the exact same thing happen to them, and we had 2 more points than we did. We were the first team to hit 80 points after Boston in the east. All was gooood.

then. We lost to Detroit.

mariahblink2.gif

Whatever. we should have won that game. We'll beat Tampa right?

Tampa

iBVLZz67X11ZF.gif

Montreal

buAkUR3.gif

New Jersey

RoseCrying.gif

The Blues

9cdd3799dcc8596215b88a5827fe42d4.jpg

The Flyers
fathockeyguy.gif

Detroit. Again

tumblr_mrw4a6m0o31qbkhypo1_500.gif

And now I have to give my daily dose of somewhat optimism, charm and wit to this team. Who have managed to do something so incredibly, mindblowingly mean to this fan base. They became the 2nd team in the East to get to 80 points, and then failed to register a single point in two weeks, while becoming the first squad since the 80s to lose eight straight in regulation.

It's getting to the point that the Leafs sit down and plan out how exactly to torture this fanbase. Like, "hey, remember when we were at the All-Star Break and then lost 10 of 12 games in regulation and slid to draft 5th [thank you, God for Morgan Rielly]. And how - we finally get to the playoffs, and then we did something that no other team ever in NHL history did and blew a 4-1 lead with 10 minutes to go? Well, I finally got it! Let's slide from 2nd in the division, right out of the playoff picture with a month to go and no games in hand."

fillion1.gif

If the Playoffs were today

I don't know why you don't see this more in hockey. Basketball has great stuff too - like that coach said his wife could score more than 2 for 11 in a basketball game. Hockey "well, compete level, we were chasing the game." whatever. Eight games of not even one single point - and no one is mad [there are apparently tears now, but whatever], no is is angry, no one is changing anything. I've said it, I've been saying it for weeks - at this point, I don't care if you can't do Randy's system. No one knows what it is - but are you telling me that you're unable to play defense at all? I don't know - I've never played ice hockey - but i'm pretty sure somewhere, you're taught something about board play, and playing both sides of the puck, right? So I'm assuming y'all could have come together and said "you know - we'll just play... like this. it's not what Randy wants - but we can win with this, right?"

No one ever comes out and says we play like poo flinging monkeys, or rather we play like the poo that the monkeys fling at the zoo. No one is showing passion on the ice, nothing.

On the Shelf
Everyone is healthy.

Up and Down
Jerry D'Amigo [yay!] was called up.

Noteworthy
James Van Reimsdyk ties an NHL Record for scoring the fastest goal in a period (.04 seconds).

the Leafs have lost 8 straight games. Last time they did that, Ballard was alive.

eyesz.gif

The Bright Side of Things

giphy.gif

there's actually a bright side to this?

Bright Side #1:
Morgan Rielly. Holy. crap. It spoke volumes that in a game that was a must win for the Leafs, Morgan Rielly put on a clinic. The only thing that was missing other than the win, was him getting a goal, and I think Howard actually stopped him from getting one tonight.

Also Troy Bodie. What a surprise. I hope he stays with the team next year. :nod:

This kid is going to be so special. I am hoping that he can really work on the areas to refine his game, work on his shot. He was starting to hit the wall a little bit [which was to be expected] but he's found a second wind. I can not wait to see him next year.

Bright Side #2:
The only aspect of MLSE that Tim Lieweke hasn't put his fingerprints on is the hockey team. Again - everyone ignores the Rock [the red headed step child of the organization because they know how to win every couple of years] - but he tinkered with TFC [I realise that it's different]. He got his guy in for the Raptors, and they're going to the playoffs.

Nonis whilst getting his 5 year extension - was always on the premise that the Leafs would continue to get better. There is no way on this green earth that Tim is sitting there thinking "wow, TFC is winning, the Raptors are making the playoffs, but the only thing people are focusing on is that the Leafs blew it, again." and would be happy/patient with that. the Looks on Nonis and Carlyle's faces after tonight's game spoke volumes. Again - it depends on who shoots first. Nonis has one bullet in the chamber and it has Caryle's name written all over it. But I maintain - if the Leafs suck next year, and then Nonis is fired, it's once again, new GM has current coach in place. [and I'd fire every single person right now. Except for Thommie Bergmann - i think that's his name. the European scout].

Tim will get to make his stamp on the team.

Bright Side # 3

There's going to be draaahmmaaaaah this summer. that's always fun. Of course not as fun as a playoff series, or anything, but hey. there are a multitude of storylines at play here.

1: when will Carlyle [and/or Nonis] be fired. there are six games left. Will it be right after the season ender presser? Will it be Tuesday? Thursday?

2: Bolland drahmah. Will he re-sign?

3: Franson drahmah. Do we sign him [no. No. no. no. no]. or trade him

4: Young-in Dramah. The rumours were [and Bob MacKenzie doesn't spread the Leafs rumours as easily as Dreger] if the Leafs were to miss the playoffs one of Gardiner and/or Kadri would be moved. Now - I've stated that if it were me, and I had to choose between the two - Gardiner wins every time [see my post in the Nazem Kadri player discussion thread for more indepth reasoning].

5: Reimer Drahmah. (well there's no drahmah. dude's gone).

6: Potential Fat Contract Drahmah. Depending on when the boom is dropped on Nonis (if it's dropped). you'd have to think that the new GM will do an assessment of the team and figure out what he wants to do. There were a lot of stories that Phaneuf was still wanted with his contract extenstion and all, and I bet you there are teams who will take Kessel. the issue is Clarkson - but that's where a Come to Jesus meeting happens during the player evaluation as in "do you still want to be here."

7: Who gets hired Drahmah: who will be the next coach, will he be a current (and recently fired) one, or a new one? who will be the GM (same questions). what will their direction be will Lieweke cry and ask the Leafs fanbase "Why can't we be great?" I mean, seriously. It's not playoff hockey but it's something right?

I mean - it's about to be Days of our Leafs all up in here. All we need is some popcorn.

Stephen_Colbert_popcorn.gif

With that being said - this means that "Loose-Leafs" will be finished in two weeks. I'm probably going to come up with something during the summer months, I'll have to think about it. there will def. be a draft re-cap, a season re-cap. [boy won't that be fun?], a UFA recap when most of it's seem to be done.

And by next fall, I'll be re-charged ready to defend my boys and be optimistic about them and all that fun stuff. But I just have one real wish, which is this. Whoever the new GM is - please just make smart decisions. All GMS make goofs, and "shouldn't have done that"-isms, but I'm tired of the Leafs[nation], being the ones to constantly being hit over and over and over again with it.

realise that we're no where near ready, and draft properly. check to see where we are in December and react accordingly, same at deadline day. Don't fall too much in love with your players and have exactly what you want the team to be always in your mind - trade when you have to, regardless if they are 'the best we have right now.' we constantly fall into that trap and we can't shake out of it.

Be good or suck - I'm good with either, but this no-man's land is dreadful and we keep spinning our wheels.

Daisy's Player of the Week

rielly_morgan.jpg

beauty.

Leaf's Schedule This Week

Three games

Calgary on April 1st
Boston on April 3rd
Jets on April 5th, which is the Leafs last home game of the season.

Good chance we don't see a win this week either.

I think Jake's reaction says it best:

tumblr_mzgykhzSXa1sna8pso1_500.gif

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I guess at this point all we can do is hope to lose-out and maybe draft 7th or 8th.

God what a terrible end to a decent season.

A+ on the gifs Daisy /sob

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Daisy, you probably worked harder creating this thread than any of the Leafs have in the last 8 games.

Kudos to you.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Good read, though I think some things might be factually off, not that it matters much lol. I thought Pittsburgh hit 80 before us, unless you meant Atlantic division? Also didn't we lose 8 in a row in 2010? Though there was one shootout loss in there.

Honestly I just feel numb now. I felt a lot worse in 2012.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
thanks, everyone

yeah, 2nd in the atlantic, third in the east. it doesn't matter, doesn't change the fact that the moment we hit 80 it's like the team thought "hey - we're cool, now!" and stopped playing.

I got the stat off twitter. i think this is 8 straight regulation wins.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Congratulations on putting in more effort into that post than Clarkson has given the Leafs all season long.

Seriously though good job with these lol.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I wish I could mail all of Daisy's Loose Leaf segments to the team. I swear to God they would probably cry seeing what they've delivered for such devout fanhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad