Loose-Leafs #2: Putting out an APB on the Leafs Get Up & Go-Ness

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Loose-Leafs
:scared: We're losing, Oh no! We're DOOOMED! :scared:

♬Can Anybody find them... something to hit!

Every night we die a little
Can barely look at the team
take a look at the tv and cry
Lord what they're doing to me!♪

♫I spend 60 minutes screaming at you
but I just can't get no relief
SHOOOT!
Somebody! Somebody!♫

Can anybody find the Leafs, a net to shoooot?

♫We're out shot... we've got no rhythm
they're just losing their beat
they're okay, they're alright
ain't gonna face no defeat.
Clarkson's gotta leave the prison cell
Frasers gotta be be free

HIT!♫

Somebody! Somebody!
Can anyone find the Leafs... someone to hit?

♫Every night.
they try and they try and they try
but the shots don't hit the net
they say they give away
they don't even play
got no hitting♫

it's getting hard to be-leaf

♫yeah! yeah! yeah! yeah!

But dont'cha y'all worry...
they'll get better someday....♫

[parody lyrics based off "Queen's Somebody to Love" by Daisy"]

The Toronto Maple Leafs after 9 Games:

6-3-0.
good for 7th in the League, 2nd the Atlantic

Brief Stats
Goals per Game: 3.5 (6th)
Goals against: 2.4 (10th)
Powerplay: 29% (2nd)
Penalty Kill: 87.1% (4th)

giveaways: way too much (but not as much as the ACC apparently things we give out).

If the Playoffs were today... well we'd all be really, really worried, let me tell you. :)wings, :leafs and :bruins would have the three guaranteed spots, with :habs and :bolts with the two wildcards. We'd be playing Montreal. I don't think it would be pretty if we went with the current play of the team right now).

Can Someone Tell the Leafs the Games Started?
This team is breaking my heart. There are no bones about it - just utterly, breaking my heart. I can excuse the Carolina game - we always suck against Carolina. it's just one of those games where you know that anything can happen against them. Every team has their mulligan, but the Chicago game...?

Even last year when the team stopped skating - they were always doing something. They'd beat up the other team, they'd be smacking the other team, they'd still be blocking shots. The team we saw in Chicago last night? Hoo.. boy. You know it's bad when I can't even put a Daisyspin on it, and try to find the positive out of it all. (well you can argue, that we kept the streak of Chicago not scoring in the third period going - we do break slumps like that. We also kept Towes and Kane pointless.)

But who gets the game winner?

koska_zps089babae.jpg

they call me Thor. Or Costco

This guy. He had powerplay time, penalty kill time, played almost as much as Dion and NOTHING. 2nd game playing with Chicago. 1st career NHL goal - and the game winner.

2ff.gif

Just call us Slumpbusters.

It is really sad that we're not doing much of anything. Even with the wins, I was concerned about our game - not the "playing 60 minutes part." or the "giveaways" part... but :leafs game as a whole. Last year, despite all their struggles, and two goal lead blowing, and whatever, to quote Clarkson - the team had their hardhats on, and got to work. The would fight against the boards, they'd go hard to the net, they'd fling their bodies down to block pucks, they would finish their checks, and then, if all else failed: they'd beat up the living snot out of you.

9 games - and they're not doing any of that.
Barely blocking shots
Barely finishing checks
Barely hitting..

I think we're missing

Leo-Komarov-300x290.jpg

a lot more than we were expecting. (and maybe it's just compounded because we're also missing Kulemin, Fraser, Clarkson, and McLaren) - but we're really missing that pest that could go around and smack and irritate people - and usually draw a penalty out of it.

It's a little to early to be throwing words like "must win." out there, but in my mind I think Tuesday's game against the :ducks is a must win. The Leafs last year had 1 real losing streak of 5 winless (but 1 was an outright loss). but I think especially after the Chicago game, the Leafs need to come out and show everyone that they are capable of playing a full 60 minutes.

The Strange Case of Jonathan Bernier

During the pre-season I was wondering what was so special about this guy. Then he put on a clinic during Philly & Ottawa. Then he had a really good game against Colorado. Then he put on a clinic in Nashville. Then the Oilers game, it was not pretty. Then he came in relief for Reimer and wasn't so good(ish), and then Chicago not so good(ish).

And he said this after the game in Chicago:

"we all have to look in the mirror, and start playing better."

And I agree. I think some of the goals that he's been letting in - have been stoppable (and Bernier's been saying that) but a lot of the "back breaking ones" are ones where the team is just STANDING there, watching the other team play hockey.

So yes. All the team needs to look in the mirror and play better.

(I don't know how I feel about that - as when Reimer speaks it's usually. "I" need to do this so that "We" can be better. but it doesn't change the fact the team needs to start playing better).

The Stranger Case of Phillip Joseph Kessel

Kessel in 9 games has 8 points (2 goals, 6 assists). which is pretty much better :laugh: than he had last year, (0 goals). But Kessel, like most of the other team looks pretty darn lifeless. It's like all that fire in his belly from the Buffalo game where he was chopping sasquatches, and just being chippy and whatever... gone. He's in "Off" mode right now. (which I have to say - 8 points in 9 games, still take it). But he's... he's..... well he's Phil. I guess.

But a show of hands thinking that Phil really turned a corner, and we were going to have a whole new player that was actually finishing his checks, giving gruff, and being lethal at every aspect on the ice? (I kind of did). We know he's going to click on - maybe playing with Kadri would give him some spark?

The Leafs Giveth. And Giveth, and Giveth some More

turnover2.jpg

the guy at the acc really loves these

The Leafs - once again: lead the league with giveaways. This is :thumbd: but, apparently on the road, we're much better. I don't think by much, but we're much better. So needless to say, Stat Counter at the ACC... is drunk. Or doesn't know exactly what a giveaway is. Or the spot has been infiltrated by someone who wants to support the negative nancies out there and has tied up the real Stats Guy and then goes counting crazy.

Or he could just be related to the guy at the United Centre who thought the Leafs had like 1 turnover the entire game... :thumbu: you know? the taketh ....away? Lame? yeah, I figured. moving on.

Player Of the Week

10lupul.jpg

Usually when I do my keys to the game thing - I always point to Lupul because I honestly think out of anyone in our top 6, except maybe Kadri - Lupul is the one who can really change the game on a dime in other ways than just scoring. [I would JVR in that category as well, but Lupul puts it on a whole nother level].

Game against Minnesota, Lupul was the one really gaining entry into the Wild's zone, and working the boards. Even though he was held pointless that night he was really hustling hard.

Against the Carolina game, he had a goal, and that bullish look as he tried to take an entire team on his back, to try to at least get to Overtime. He practically re-created that end to end play he did last year - but this time Ward was in net, and their defense man wasn't just looking at Lupul's awesome moves. But the reason why I'm giving Lupul the player of the week award (other than the fact that I have to give it to somebody - Kadri was a close runner up) - was because of this video right here.

[NHL]462255[/NHL]​

He looks pissed. He doesn't sound happy. Even in the route answers you know in his head he's thinking "but we freaking lost to freaking Carolina. Again." And then in Chicago he tries to make a difference. Lupul - man with a mission. (and he's leading the team with 10 points - 6 goals, 4 helpers). Everyone keeps talking about career years, I think Loops is going to have one.

Next Week At A Glance

We have two games on the schedule mid week, and our requisite HNIC game.

Tuesday, Oct 22nd vs: :ducks (Sportsnet Ontario, GDT by HarrisonFord) - find a stream

Friday, Oct 25th at: :cbj (LeafsTV, GDT by OfMiceAndKadri) - find a stream - Clarkson's first game back

Saturday, Oct 26th vs: :pens (HNIC, GDT by yakfish).

(we do not have anyone GDTing for the next four games, coming against the Oilers, Flames, Canucks and Devils. they don't have to be masterpieces or works of art. So go official gdt thread and pick a day already.

Wrapping Things Up

You know - for all things considered, we're still 6-3. (should be 7-2, but if ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all be having a merry christmas). we are still (as of today), holding onto a guaranteed spot (if they don't start playing better). the Wings play Monday (only atlantic team to do so). Tuesday is a busy schedule with a lot of implications if we don't get at least a point, because Wednesday's lineup of Ottawa vs Detroit and the Bruins vs Sabres, we could be looking at life from the Wildcard Spot. Say what you will about being early, blah blah blah, but in our division, we need to be keeping up pace. I think we can all agree that we don't want the Leafs to be in a position of having to chase.

But the Leafs need to be the team, that we know them to be. It's there. It's so incredibly frustrating to know that there is so much scary attack in this team bubbling just right there, and they aren't doing anything with it. However, I am, as always going to:

keepcalm-1.jpg

Last edited:

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Excellent job. I'll just say that based on the numbers I ran this morning the ACC stats guy is entirely consistent with the home-bias the rest of the league exhibits (average of almost 5:1 home/away giveaways ratio league-wide). Have a look at the giveaway thread - my numbers are posted there. It's definitely not a phenomena that's unique to the ACC - in fact, the leafs are lower than the weighted league average if you can believe it.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
thanks guys :)
dubplatepressure - that is just crazypants that the Leafs are lower than the weighted league average.just. crazypants.

Rielly Good

May 13, 2009
London, ON
Good read. Well Done Daisy.

We definitely miss komarov. But only one more game and Clarkson is back. Then hopefully kulemin follows shortly. Those two are great at cycling. Should help us. Also they both have great work ethic.

I'm not happy with how were playing, but I am looking forward to getting a healthy Roster to see how we play.

GO LEAFS GO

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
The team's physicality has been down for most of the season, but the last two games it looked like they had no compete level except for like a ten minute stretch in each game. For much fo first seven, I thought they played better than they looked (just not very flashy and way too conservative), but in the last two they just looked like they were completely out of it.

Fingers crossed for Clarkson kickstarting their heart.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Will agree, amazing job there. Can't disagree with anything said in there either.

Hopefully the team starts treating these games as must wins instead of optional.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad