Looking to buy a new TV and have no clue what to get

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I recently moved into a new apartment. Im coming right out of college and my TV I had at school is too small for this place. I want to buy a new TV but don't have the slightest cool what to get or where to buy it. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am looking to get something around 42" or maybe the next biggest size. I will pay as much as is necessary for a nice, new TV.

Please comment here with suggestions or any advice overall.

Thanks!

captaincheese

The BillDozer ~ PS4
Nov 1, 2013
Hamilton, Ontario
Do you use Netflix?

Do you already have something to stream netflix off of?

If no, get a smart tv.

I also would suggest mounting the tv on the wall, if you are allowed to.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Do you use Netflix?

Do you already have something to stream netflix off of?

If no, get a smart tv.

I also would suggest mounting the tv on the wall, if you are allowed to.

No Netflix for me. I do stream sports or HBOGo from my computer sometimes.

And I will look into the smart TV. I need to ask the landlord about mounting one.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

And I will look into the smart TV. I need to ask the landlord about mounting one.

If you have a Playstation or Xbox, chances are you have something that could stream most things anyway. If you don't, and a smart TV is a little too expensive, you could look into buying a Roku or Apple TV to go along with your new set.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002

If you have a computer hooked up to your tv I wouldn't bother with a smart tv. Even if you don't, I still wouldn't get a smart tv because devices with the functionality (Roku, Apple TV, etc) are always going to be superior and better supported.

RoadDoggFL

Mar 15, 2007
New Orleans, LA
rvb.roosterteeth.com
If you have a computer hooked up to your tv I wouldn't bother with a smart tv. Even if you don't, I still wouldn't get a smart tv because devices with the functionality (Roku, Apple TV, etc) are always going to be superior and better supported.

Yeah, I have both my laptop and a chromecast hooked up to my bigscreen and it's frustrating that I can't get a youtube queue going through my laptop. I have to load a playlist to get the same functionality that's native to the chromecast app.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
An LG OLED TV if you're looking for the best. I'm counting down the days until I can purchase one (hopefully later this year!). I have to get married first, though, and that is where all our funds are currently going.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I'm going to be getting a new TV in the near future, thinking about a 58 inch (or something in that area)....I was really thinking of getting one of those 4K curved TVs, anyone have any thoughts on that or experiences with those TVs? They look amazing in the stores.

shadow5150

Sep 10, 2008
Google "curved tv viewing angle", and you will feel different about the curved tv's. I was looking to buy one myself, but when I read that the viewing angle is poor after just 35 degrees, I said no way. The 4k tv's do look amazing though.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
go to Costco. they have 2 year warrentys instead of 1 year. you can buy more years for dirt cheap. I bought a haier TV for my mom. 300 bucks. foe 30 bucks I got 3 more years so 5 years her TV will be safe for less then 400 taxes and warranty in. no brained go to costco even for a low end tv

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Google "curved tv viewing angle", and you will feel different about the curved tv's. I was looking to buy one myself, but when I read that the viewing angle is poor after just 35 degrees, I said no way. The 4k tv's do look amazing though.

My TV is directly in front of the couch so viewing angle woudnl't be a problem for me. I've heard such good things though from people who have one.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I am in this same boat as well. I am moving from NY to California next month, and need a TV for my apartment. Got no clue what I'm going to buy. My house now has all Vizio's in it, so I may lean towards that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->