Looking for some tips and advice

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
I've always been a big guy. My normal weight for years was anywhere between 280 and 330 pounds. At that weight i could still walk as far as i wanted i could still play with my kids. Then life decided that it wanted to kick me in the butt. I lost my Wife, Brother and Father in a span of 5 months. During that time i had my own health issues it was a misdiagnosed concussion. I did not move for 6 months my weight skyrocked to 440 pounds and i had trouble just standing. That was 2 months ago. I'm now down to 380 pounds that was taken 2 weeks ago.

I have a routine that i do. That happens twice a day. I do this 6 times a week

2 sets of 15 of push ups where i only lift my upper body
5 to 7 sets of 10 of crunches
2 sets of lifting my body weight via my legs.
Then two sets of push ups again or i will hold the push up for a minute which i will do three times

I still have an old cardio machine which i do three times a week. I have made it where i now can i stay on for three minutes at a time with a five minute break in between to settle my heart and breathing down. I do this two or three times. Don't laugh when i started i could only stay on it for about 20 seconds

Everynight that it is not raining i play soccer with the kids nothing dramatic just kicking the ball around with them for anywhere between 10 minutes to 45 mins with breaks as i still cant stand even perfectly still for long periods at a time.

I told myself that if i can continue doing this i will get a gym membership. That was three days ago. Where my weight is currently in my mid section, i also need to strengthen my lower back. As that is what kills me. I want to see my kids grow up they are all that i have left and i can't leave them to.

So i need help I'm doing ok on my own but everything is starting to get easy. My arms are still in excellent shape As i can still pick up 400 pounds and walk with it, my legs are ok. But my back pain is unbelievable. I need simple things that i can do to either add to my exercise or things that i can modify so i can do. My next step is dieting which will be easy as i will stop drinking pop which is more then 500 to 1000 calories a day as i drink my calories in a day. Before i was active enough then it did not bother me. I always had my wife who was in excellent shape pushing me to walk and do things but that's another story.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Start with the diet. Something small like cutting out soda will go a long way. I'd simply try that and going for walks for 2-3 weeks. Being 350+ you're going to have to start slow, and have slow progression. Doing this too rapidly could seriously hurt you IMO. Try one pop a day.

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
Start with the diet. Something small like cutting out soda will go a long way. I'd simply try that and going for walks for 2-3 weeks. Being 350+ you're going to have to start slow, and have slow progression. Doing this too rapidly could seriously hurt you IMO. Try one pop a day.

Yea its why i have not started to diet yet. As once i started moving again i dropped 60 pounds in less then two months. When i start to plateau i will then start the diet. But the exercises I'm doing is becoming to easy except the cardio.

vt89*

May 6, 2010
No. Start the diet ASAP.

Again, at your weight just dropping one or two bad foods will go a long ways.

My suggestion: Lower your carb intake. When possible, replace your carbs (pasta, breads, etc) with high protein foods (chicken, eggs, etc) or veggies. Cut out soda, sweets, candies, chips, etc. Try to cut out beer or at least budget yourself. Hella calories in them.

You can fill yourself up until you're bursting at the seams with veggies daily and still lose weight.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Definitely get that gym membership if what you are doing is being too easy and you can lift 400 pounds. With those strength levels, a well structured workout program focusing on compound exercises (exercises that allow for multiple muscles being activated), and a diet much higher in protein and making a reduction (NOT elimination) in your carb intake, you'll be able to recomposition your body.

Keep playing soccer with your kids, and I would try and get in 6-8k steps every day.

Also, nobody is laughing at you. Everyone has different starting points and goals in mind. From my experience, and what I see at the gym, most people are happy to see others trying to become the best version of themselves.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
From my experience, and what I see at the gym, most people are happy to see others trying to become the best version of themselves.

True.

There is always that one person out of 100 that might be an a#¤, but who cares?

I hear this excuse so often; "I just need to reach a certain level before I can start going to the gym."

I've been going to gyms for 20 years and I couldn't care less how others look. If anything I admire those who I can see feel uncomfortable being there, but are still going.

That said. You don't have to go to the gym to get health, lose weight etc.

Best tip I can give you - get yourself invested. Tell people or why don't you post a weekly summary of your activity on here? A small thing like that might just be enough to do some exercise that one day you don't really want to - or to not get that coke.

I can help you with some guidance along the way. Right now I don't think it is important what you do, but that you do something. This is a journey of a thousand small steps.

vt89*

May 6, 2010
to be honest OP is correct in that he needn't a gym membership now. Clean that diet up and get 8-10k steps a day and the pounds will shed off him.

If its a matter of confidence there's no point in him potentially failing before he starts by ruining his self esteem by simply being somewhere.

OP, fix your diet. Get out and walk. Make a point of it. at least 8K steps a day.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Personally think a slow cut is the best. No need for a gym membership right now. If you do, 20 minutes on the incline treadmill three times a week.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think the mindset is wrong.

What about just shifting to a healthier lifestyle? Theres plenty of help around for you to succeed.

And no im not implying its easy.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Try eating only whole plant foods. They will fill you up, have high nutrition value, and low caloric density. Drink only water.

Good luck.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Smoothies are often rigged with sugars.

Personally i cant stomach them. Ill mix half an avocado in my protein shake but thats it. Nothing more than that.

I make my own smoothies, and they are 100% fruit, greens, oats, and seeds. Haven't considered mixing in an avocado, but I'll definitely try it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->