Looking for Opinions on Ben Eager

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Does anyone have any thoughts on the play of Ben Eager and what type of NHL player he will be? Point expectations, what role will he play, what line will he play on, etc. All feedback positive and negative welcome.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
hbk said:
Does anyone have any thoughts on the play of Ben Eager and what type of NHL player he will be? Point expectations, what role will he play, what line will he play on, etc. All feedback positive and negative welcome.

From a purely casual outside observer who's seen him a couple of times... he reminds me of Kent Manderville with a mean streak. I dislike drawing straight comparisons, but it is easier. Good on his skates, goes into traffic, but no finish to his game and from what I've seen not a lot of creativity. He'll be a guy who'll go up and down his wing, finish his checks, and drop the gloves if needed. And he's got a reputation for being a bit of a hot-head, though he's young and that might be something to be channelled back into his game.

X-SHARKIE

Hello there, Flyers fan?

I have seen Ben quite a few times. I like him, he was not worthy of the 1st round selection in 2002 is the rap on this player. Bens strongest asset is his skating ability. He can flat out fly. He also likes to hit like crazy, he's very physical. I dont ever see him becoming a scorer though, he makes dumb decisions, passes up on good oppertunitys, and hands are suspect at best. Although he might make up for it with his god gift in his slapshot WOWZA...his wrist shot lacks accuracy and is ok in the power department and you cant always have the time to unload a slap shot. Expeacially with his style of play.

Flyers are getting a forward with good size, he's got excelent skating ability, he just flys out there, and he loves, I mean LOVES! to play physical. I see him as a good third liner, dont expect him to be scoring goals, but he'll be an amazing forechecker and open up space as well as intimidate when he's in the NHL.

Just dont think your getting somone who well put in alot of points, he may do it in the OHL, well so has Todd Harvey, But he wont score in the NHL. You'll like him though, he's a team guy and a good fit in the Flyers. Defensive game and hands need improving.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Because of his skating, physical play and undeniable willingness to drop the gloves, he is basically assured of being a NHLer. His skating really is fantastic.

However, he'll never be more than a 3rd liner (ok, maybe he'll play of role on a scoring line at some point ala Chris Simon). He simply doesn't have the offensive instincts or hands (he's behind Simon in that regard). He also has a lot of work to do on his judgement and maturity, so he's probably a few years away in that regard.

But he could become a very effective checking line forward. Lining him up beside Primeau and and another rough and tumble forward would be interesting, as he could become a cruise missle on the forecheck.

But to give you some perspective on his goal scoring abilities, he has less offensive ability than either Jason Wiemer or Ethan Moreau had at the same age, even though he is the better skater.

YellHockey*

Dr.Sens(e) said:
Because of his skating, physical play and undeniable willingness to drop the gloves, he is basically assured of being a NHLer. His skating really is fantastic.

I've heard that his skating is VASTLY overrated.

And that's from someone who's seen him very up close in the OHL.

He did really well at the speed test in the OHL Skill Competition before the Top Prospects game he played in. That might be where he gets the reputation as a great skater. Remember Nathan Perrott won the speed test at the Leafs skills competition.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
BigDaddyMeatWhistle said:
I've heard that his skating is VASTLY overrated.

And that's from someone who's seen him very up close in the OHL.

He did really well at the speed test in the OHL Skill Competition before the Top Prospects game he played in. That might be where he gets the reputation as a great skater. Remember Nathan Perrott won the speed test at the Leafs skills competition.

That's actually a fair statement in terms of translating his skating into offensive opportunities. He will take a d-man outside and cut to the net relatively effectively (seen him do that a few times), but that's about the extent of it, and his puck skills when he gets there are well below average.

He also doesn't make sharp moves laterally to truly be an effective one-on-one player with his speed (if he isn't going wide, he isn't going anywhere), so it's really more of a weapon on the forecheck and heading to the net ahead of a d-man when he gets a step. Especially against pros. His speed will translate into offence at the NHL-level the same way Brashear's does, and probably not much more.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
To be honest, I've never been a fan of us.

He's a good skater (although overrated), good forechecker, good fighter and he's got enough offensive skill to get a goal if it's handed to him.

My guess is that he'll be molded into a top notch NHL scrapper/energy guy, worst case scenario, Dennis Bonvie, best case scenario Joey Kocur.

Hammerwise

Jun 13, 2002
Visit site
I've seen him play a few times, and he has got NHL wheels and size. He is a monster.
A first was maybe a big too high on him, but that draft wasn't as blessed as the 2003 or 2001 draft was. If he wasn't a first rounder, he would've still been a top 50 pick. You can't teach size they always say.
ANYWAYS....
He will be a 3rd-4th liner in the NHL, on a deep team like Philly. He is not a scorer or a great defensive standout, but with his size and wheels, he is a valuable 3rd liner for most teams. You never know, he could be a "joel Otto", but even a poor mans otto isn't too bad

If he plays 3rd line expect around 8-15 goals, 15-25 assists, because his linemates will be superior.
If all goes according to plan, (no injuries/trades/etc...) expect 20-30 points a year with 100 PIM approximately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad