Looking for modern, age-appropriate locker room music

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Okay, so I have three sons in minor hockey. For the two older boys the coach will usually put on some music before and after games to get the kids amped up. Trouble is, it's almost invariably hard rock tunes from the 1980s or thereabouts - the kind of stuff the coach (and me) would have listened to as kids. It has very little impact on the kids today. But one time somehow Old Town Road got slipped into the mix and the kids all went nuts for it.

I'm the head coach for my youngest boy. I'm thinking I'll start playing some tunes on game day too. But I'm looking for some suggestions of songs that are:

-uptempo,
-released in this millenium; and
-no content that parents can object to (i.e. no swearing)

Any suggestions?

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
brs-tool-fear-inoculum-cd-super-limited_800x.jpg

Reactions: edog37

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Maybe it's cause it brings back memories and I enjoyed the games, but you could try the soundtracks of the video games NHL 12 through NHL 18. There are some not so good songs, but lots of catchy ones that the kids might know.

You could also ask every kid for their favorite song and then download the clean version of all their favorite songs and make a playlist.

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019
Okay, so I have three sons in minor hockey. For the two older boys the coach will usually put on some music before and after games to get the kids amped up. Trouble is, it's almost invariably hard rock tunes from the 1980s or thereabouts - the kind of stuff the coach (and me) would have listened to as kids. It has very little impact on the kids today. But one time somehow Old Town Road got slipped into the mix and the kids all went nuts for it.

I'm the head coach for my youngest boy. I'm thinking I'll start playing some tunes on game day too. But I'm looking for some suggestions of songs that are:

-uptempo,

Any suggestions?

Sounds like you and the coach need to educate these people. 70s,80,90s or gtfo imo. We have converted many millennials and zoomers to real music. It can be done.

Reactions: DarthProbert

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
For what its worth my 10 year old says songs by Marshmallow (not many words), Sunflower by Post Malone, Dynomite by Taio Cruise, and songs by Imagine Dragons.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004

-uptempo,

Any suggestions?

Haha did you have my phone? A bunch of classic rock and Old Town Road cause my kids asked me to download it. My boys do like their classic rock cause that's pretty much what we listen to in the truck.

As for the teams I coach, they've never really gotten into the music in the room thing yet. I'm not sure why. Sometimes there'll be some playing quietly on someones phone.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
A lot of warmup songs are timeless, my kids don't care really as long as there is something playing. Nothing wrong with mixing some modern catchy stuff with the traditional stuff too.

If its old town road the kids are probably 6 or 7?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I was the music guy for Midget AAA last year. Kids go to watch the games so I wanted no swearing.

I went and found clean versions for most current songs. Made my own playlist and Bob's your uncle.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
I don't care what age you are, there will always be a place in the locker room for songs like:

ACDC - Thuderstruck
Van Halen - Jump
Thin Lizzy - Boys are back in town
Darude - Sandstorm
Bachman Turner Overdrive - Takin’ Care of Business
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart
Twisted Sister - We’re Not Gonna Take It
Hail to the King - Avenged Sevenfold
Stranglehold - Ted Nugent
Danger Zone - Kenny Loggins

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Good music is timeless. What next, kids not allowed to use wood sticks cause they're not "current" enough?

The dressing room is the coach's room. You're not there to entertain them, you're there to make them better hockey players. Use music to put them in the frame of mind you want them to be in. Not to be their buddy. Your "hello fellow kids" attempt doesn't fool them.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

-uptempo,

Any suggestions?

Turn on the local pop station and listen to it for an hour.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I don't care what age you are, there will always be a place in the locker room for songs like:

ACDC - Thuderstruck
Van Halen - Jump
Darude - Sandstorm

Good list just missing a little Five Finger Death Punch on there.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
When my son was in U12, the team manager had each player submit a song to a playlist and that was the game day and dressing room music. It was great because the kids got to choose, and there was a wide variety of different genres from rap, to country to alternative rock...

Reactions: Fixxer

OmazingGrace

Apr 19, 2019

ACDC - Thuderstruck
Van Halen - Jump
Darude - Sandstorm
Yes because kickstart my heart isnt about overdosing on heroin or anything. But at least it doesnt swear I guess.

Walk with me in Hell by Lamb of God. The kids will be punching holes thru the plexi glass

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
When my son was in U12, the team manager had each player submit a song to a playlist and that was the game day and dressing room music. It was great because the kids got to choose, and there was a wide variety of different genres from rap, to country to alternative rock...

I like this idea.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Yes because kickstart my heart isnt about overdosing on heroin or anything. But at least it doesnt swear I guess.

As a pump up song it can't be beat. The kids don't listen that carefully to the lyrics ;)

My kid first heard it as the Edmonton Oil Kings goal song and now it gets played before every one of his games. Which is funny because it's what, like 35 years old? It would have been like me listening to songs from the 50s when I was a kid :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad