Advice: Looking for Ice in Houston

ciscomorales

Sep 11, 2013
Katy, Texas
New user but I have been reading the boards for a couple years now. So I started skating in April, started LTP in July. I live outside of Austin and we just purchased a house in Katy, Tx so we are on the move.
I have seen some threads reguarding Houston rinks but they looked to be from 2009 so a little outdated. Does anyone have recomendations or warnings about the Houston area rinks? To be honest the closest 3 are Memorial city, Sugarland and the Aerodrome? I have been to Memorial but have no idea what the other rinks are like.
I am looking for a home rink to continue to develop and hopefully get into some league play. Any advice would be appriciated.

robmneilson

Aug 27, 2009
www.robmneilson.com
I moved to Houston two years ago and so far have played at memorial, sugarland, aerodrome. Sugarland and memorial are especially easy to get to from Katy.

Since you just started playing in April, I assume you are looking for a Novice league. Sugarland has one on Fridays (I think) and it's alternating weeks of practices and games. You can also try to play in the Memorial Saturday C/D league...but it may be a bit fast if you're just starting.

I think the Aerodrome might have a novice league, but I only have experience playing their rec league there.

I don't check this board often, so feel free to email me at rob.m.neilson at gmail dot com if you have any questions!

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
I have a friend who plays in some kind of co-ed league at the Aerodome. she's a novice player so it can't be too high of a league.

ciscomorales

Sep 11, 2013
Katy, Texas
Moving this weekend so i think I will start with some dropins to get a feel for the rinks players skill levels. I can hang ok with the c guys in dropins but think it may be better to continue on fundimentals and skills for the first season. I probably won't join a league untill Jan or the next available season but I am planning on splitting time between sugerland and aerodrome, they are about the same distance.

robmneilson

Aug 27, 2009
www.robmneilson.com
Cool, let me know when you are looking. I go to a scrimmage every monday night in Sugarland that you would be fine in. Half of it is C players, and half are C- players.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00