Looking for hockey-focused indoor workouts

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Okay, so we're locked inside for probably 3 months because of Covid-19. It sucks.

For me, personally, rec hockey was my primary form of exercise. I started playing 2 years ago and have lost a little bit of weight, definitely have better cardio than before, etc. Hockey was good for me.

I have three kids too who play hockey (and were set to play soccer soon, but f*** soccer). My 9 year old does want to get better, play Tier 1, etc.

Can anyone suggest some workouts / dryland training that me and my kids can do to try and stay in shape during this lockdown from hockey? Preferably with a hockey focus - I hate gym workouts, but if I can be convinced it'll help me get better at hockey that'll help a lot for my motivation.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
personally i do pistol squats as off ice training but it took time to learn how to do it.

i think youtubing squat progressions and/1 leg squat progressions is a good place to start.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Here's a workout I've given the high school kids I coach:

16 minutes, as many rounds as possible:
20 Air Squats
7 Burpees
21 Alternating Lunges

Finisher: 50 hand-release pushups

This will work your legs and core and test your cardio system. It's also fun to progress and see how many rounds you can get.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Here's a playlist for a bunch of exercises I draw from. I pick and choose depending on what I want to work on.

For me, I've been figuring out a routine, and so far I've kept it simple. I've been jogging up and down hills, for about half hour every other day. I'll do five sets of five going up and down. That's been good for my cardio.

The next thing, I've added is side steps, going up a grass hill. This works the muscles used for crossovers, and if done with a good hockey crouch and pushing off the side of the foot, gives a good approximation of actually doing crossovers.

Other than that it's been some stickhandling on some dryland stickhandling tiles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad