Looking for an unbiased opinion on Dan Girardi.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Kid has now played 25 games for the Rangers and as a Rangers fan, I must say that I am seriously impressed. I don't think he'll be more than a 4/5 kind of guy in the long run, but he really has the ability to hold his own out there against some of the best players in the game.

Anyone else watching him who isn't a Rangers fan like what they see so far?

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Kid has now played 25 games for the Rangers and as a Rangers fan, I must say that I am seriously impressed. I don't think he'll be more than a 4/5 kind of guy in the long run, but he really has the ability to hold his own out there against some of the best players in the game.

Ok - my opinion is somewhat dated as I haven't really watched him since he was in the O and I don't get a ton of rangers games here.

*However*... going back 2 years... I never understood why he was never really regarded terribly high. He was great in guelph and he was, by a huge margin, London's best defensive player on our Memorial cup winning team.

He had enough size & strength and was great positionally - I guess people just felt he wasn't fast enough? Glad to see he's starting to prove himself.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
malik is terrible. he must be leading the league in turnovers. i hope he is out next season and staal is in.

whitesox_2000_22*

from what i used to see of him in the OHL, once he gets his confidence up that he can play in the NHL he is a solid defensive defenceman with a decent offensive upside and solid shot from the point. He will block a lot of shots he usually ends up black and blue after most games with the shots he is blocking...Reminds me of a Toni Lydman type of player, or Aaron Ward...characther 3 or 4th d man who will help win you games.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
from what i used to see of him in the OHL, once he gets his confidence up that he can play in the NHL he is a solid defensive defenceman with a decent offensive upside and solid shot from the point. He will block a lot of shots he usually ends up black and blue after most games with the shots he is blocking...Reminds me of a Toni Lydman type of player, or Aaron Ward...characther 3 or 4th d man who will help win you games.

If Girardi can develop into a number 3/4 guy, that would make me so incredibly happy! I know he still has some upside to his game since he's already such a steady defender.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site

I'm a Rangers fan, but being as ubiased as I can be.... the kid looks like a veteran out there. He's been a welcome addition to the pro squad since he was recalled.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He looks like he should have been on the team all along. He doesn't get noticed, and that's a good thing.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm not really unbiased, being a Rangers fan, but my two cents...

I was somewhat skeptical of him making it in the NHL, just because I felt he didn't do a lot at the AHL level that really made him stand out. I guess I was afraid that while he was solid positionally and all that at the AHL level, he'd struggle to bring that to the NHL and didn't have anything to really fall back on if he couldn't.

I was pleasantly surprised to see him make the transition smoothly and look like a regular NHL player out there. At this rate, I hope he's earned himself a roster spot for next season, because it'd be a shame to see him not start the next year with the Rangers.

I don't think he'll ever pick up a ton of points, but by just playing a smart and simple game, he'll pick some up off of point shots and the like and probably get 20 or so points per year, with some time.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
I can't believe how much Girardi has improved in 2 years. I didn't think he was NHL material at the time, but has he ever proven me wrong.

He had some injuries and illness (mono?) early in his junior career which was a factor in him not getting drafted and probably slowed his development.

He was a warrior in the OHL playoffs in route to the Memorial Cup (came up huge compared to his regular season - his game is made for the playoffs) in his final year of junior and was matched up against Crosby to help shut him down in the finals.

Still can't get over how much he's improved:amazed:

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
poor mans tony lydman right now, will turn out as good as him. great deffensively, hold his own, strong, blocks shot, good point shot, moves the puck well, sees the ice well. good all around game.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I'm impressed. He looks like a very nice prospect. Makes some rookie gaffs but I with the Isles had him.

whitesox_2000_22*

poor mans tony lydman right now, will turn out as good as him. great deffensively, hold his own, strong, blocks shot, good point shot, moves the puck well, sees the ice well. good all around game.

Great observation as i said in a earlier post...wont get notcied but does everything right..just one of those kind of guys that will help you win!

Screaming Banshee

Jan 17, 2007
Oakville
He had some injuries and illness (mono?) early in his junior career which was a factor in him not getting drafted and probably slowed his development.

In the 2001-2002 season, Girardi had his spleen ruptured in a preseason game when he was with the Barrie Colts. He missed almost the entire season. Unfortunately, yes this did affect him not being drafted.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
In the 2001-2002 season, Girardi had his spleen ruptured in a preseason game when he was with the Barrie Colts. He missed almost the entire season. Unfortunately, yes this did affect him not being drafted.

Being completely honest, I have to admit to being utterly blindsided by Girardi's success at the NHL level. Just did not see it happening. I thought he was lucky to graduate from Charlotte to HFD and manage that well. I never thought he would stick in New York.

When I see him handle a play now he almost always makes the right move. I am never nervous when he has the puck. He always seems to know what to do and then does it in plenty of time, with no hesitation. He look like a better player every time I see him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad