Looking For A New Team To Follow

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Why are you posting here then? If you don't have any interest in emotional loyalty to a team you must be insane to keep following the Oilers.

Honestly we should ask why HF Oil still exists. Nearly everything we've hoped for and discussed for the last ten years has been for virtually nothing. I was once a hard core Oiler fan, but there's hardly any people that could get their hopes up for such a laughable organization.

Reactions: space321

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
This. Should be about watching entertaining hockey. Truth be told, the Flames have been playing entertaining hockey for years now. Even when they sucked, they were the cardiac kids who would atleast make an attempt at a comeback in 3rd periods, even if it fell short. Now the team has 4/5 really entertaining players and the whole team plays fast paced/ smart hockey

The Oilers just play a boring game, with boring players (other than McDavid, sometimes Draisaitl/RNH). They rarely ever will come back after being down 2 goals.

Never sure Ill get the fascination with people bragging about being a loyal fan because theyll waste hours of their life watching a garbage team

For me, the funnest teams to follow right now are the Leafs, Tampa, Flames and Sharks. All play a really modern game and execute styles of hockey Id love to see more of

No one is forcing you to be an Oiler fan.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
If anyone is going to jump ship than pick a team that doesn't play the Oilers much. Spending a night with both your new squeeze and your ex will make you feel funny inside.

Reactions: Aerrol

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Washington and Tampa are neutral and far enough teams. Should be cup contenders to boot.

I like the Seattle team idea.. too bad they would be in Pacific.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Well, been following the team since Hemsky got drafted. Was a little kid who modelled my game after the guy.

Tonight was the final straw. Gone through the decade of darkness, Smyth being traded, playoff run in 06. This is the worst. We have arguably the most skilled hockey player of all time and just got blown out of the water by the last place team in the league. Chiarelli has run this team into the ground and even when 100% healthy, this team is nowhere close to being a contender. With no good wing or defensive prospects in the system, it's looking like another rebuild/retool of 4+ years will be required WITH A COMPETENT GM AT THE HELM.

I think it's time for me to look for another team to follow. Have been watching other games lately, and I know a good amount of the posters here have been considering the same. Truth be told, I had hardly been watching Oilers games the couple years pre-McDavid when it was the Hall, RNH, and Eberle show finishing at the bottom of the league with no point of watching games. Now I only watch for McDavid's brilliance which is becoming less and less worth watching when you know the surrounding team is so embarrassingly bad.

So, I have a few teams in mind personally.

Montreal has a massive, intense fan base. Constant discussion on their team and players, beautiful history, and are currently playing a very fun style of hockey full of speed, skill, and grit. They are right in the playoff race as well and should be for a long time. Not to mention they are EST so having earlier games to watch is another huge plus.

Winnipeg is one of the best teams in the NHL for my money. Such a solid roster of big, strong, skilled players. Have arguably the best pure goal scorer in the NHL, deep defence, hard-nosed team who will be a perennial cup contender for a while.

Boston, another original six team. Full of history, with a great roster right now. Chia actually built a decent team there and they've been helped along with Sweeney. Such a fun team to watch and their numerous rivalries make games more exciting. Another positive is the EST timezone, just like Montreal.

Any of you guys in the process of starting to consider checking out another team? Or is this just something we have to go through as part of a life long sacrificial ritual-esque suffering? I'm leaning towards Montreal honestly.

Why hang around here if you’re done ? Why suffer all that extra pain of explaining the practical lifetime of indignity you’ve lived with ? TSN has a page for each of the other teams. Choose wisely and peace out.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I am telling you guys

th

The Cardiff Devils is the team this board should get behind. They actually win games and their fans are more passionate then many nhl fan bases

they are 25-5-4 so far this year

Reactions: Aerrol

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I was born in Edmonton and live here so naturally I cheer for all things to do with Edmonton. I know I have been harsh critic of the team, but liking any other team seems like blasphemy. Well once the Oilers are eliminated, then I may cheer for another Canadian team that is not Calgary or Toronto. Most neutral fans cheer for the underdog.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Follow the Flames then. At least they are in Alberta.

Gross. That should be the last option.

Wait for Seattle.

Ya. As a Sounders fan, I’m definitely going to be cheering for Seattle when they come in. I’m just hoping that our team won’t continue to be pathetic enough that I’ll be tempted to fully switch...

I am telling you guys

th

The Cardiff Devils is the team this board should get behind. They actually win games and their fans are more passionate then many nhl fan bases

they are 25-5-4 so far this year

And their leading scorer is a former Oiler oddly enough... it might be kind of fun to just say to hell with it and, as a board, start watching a different league entirely :laugh:

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Washington and Tampa are neutral and far enough teams. Should be cup contenders to boot.

I like the Seattle team idea.. too bad they would be in Pacific.

Everyone please stay Oilers fans, but I wouldn't mind having more Oilers-Caps fans with me :)

Fmrnuckfan95

Dec 16, 2018
Edmonton
It's incredibly frustrating, I feel you. I still support this team though, although I am protesting by not buying tickets nor anything that goes back into the team monetarily. Even if I tried cheering for another team I would find myself drawn back in checking the Oilers scores and watching their highlights.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm kind of in the same boat as OP. It's really hard to get into the games now if I even end up watching them. I've watched more Calgary or Toronto games because I find them to be better hockey, more entertaining. I'm not jumping fan bases but on a purely entertainment level aside from McDavid, I dont really enjoy watching Edmonton like I used to.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Everything goes in cycles, I hear the game is cyclical. So are ice ages, and we are due for one of dem too.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
Follow the Flames then. At least they are in Alberta.
LOL...surely you jest? Seriously, not sure.

Things could NEVER get so bad around these parts to justify anything but disdain for all things Flames.

ABC. Simple as that. Embrace the hatred!! Lol

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Tampa.

I might start cheering for them and attending games as they aren’t too far from me. Say no to a Flames or any team that employs a d-bag like Matty T.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad