Looking For A New Team To Follow

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by duul, Jan 6, 2019.

1. BamaOil

BamaOil Registered User

You know what blows? My 2nd team is Ottawa. You know what really blows? Ottawa's future is brighter than the Oilers. Prospect pool is deeper, should be getting decent draft picks for Stone and Duchene at trade deadline, Karlsson might actually return after this season (doubt it). Only bad thing is Dorian is every bit as bad of a GM as Chia and Melnyk might be the WOAT owner. Assuming Ottawa cleans management house after this season, things could actually be looking up. Watch them hire Chia after this year lol

2. redgrant

redgrant Registered User

I can't believe I have to endure another 40 games.

3. Isignedupjustfothis

Isignedupjustfothis Registered User

I have contacted Toby Robins. Maybe we can get a group coaching rate on how to break free from this self abusive fandom.

Edit: It was a scam.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Supermassive, Aerrol and Bryanbryoil like this.
  4. Soliloquy of a Dogge

Soliloquy of a Dogge I love you, Boots

Narrator: "You don't have to".

5. Gone

Gone Fire KLowe

Leafs are what the Oilers should have been. Will be fun to watch them win the cup this year.

FieldOfDreams likes this.
  6. DaGap

DaGap Registered User

I enjoy watching Leafs, Winnipeg

7. GMofOilers

GMofOilers Registered User

I’ll always be a die hard, but if there is another team I don’t mind it’s Vegas.

Supermassive likes this.
  8. Isignedupjustfothis

Isignedupjustfothis Registered User

I could not cheer for another team . I would probably get more enjoyment out of following certain players though. Mcdavid, that rookie in Van etc.

9. WIOiler

WIOiler Registered User

I will always be an Oilers fan. I've endured it this long, why quit now. I like watching the Sabres though. It's cool to see what a GM who makes smart moves can do for a team.

10. McJadeddog

McJadeddog Registered User

When, not if, McDavid asks for a trade, I'm done. I will follow the NHL still, but I'll be done with the Oilers completely, until Katz sells the team.

As it is, I'm pretty checked out right now anyhow.

11. snipes

snipes Registered User

I’ll always be an Oilers fan but I’m interested in this Seattle team as I’m a big Seahawks fan and have been for decades. I’m utterly fed up with this Oilers team right now.

I’ve never thought about having a second team, let alone one in division but Seattle might be that team.

12. 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg Booze for Hughes Sponsor

None
    In the decade of darkness I chose Arizona because I spent a lot of time in Phoenix and went to many games there, and they were not near as bad as they have been the past few years. They busted their ass every game, were well coached and competitive. Now I cheer for the Jets as my number 2 team and have been to a few games in Winnipeg including one in the playoffs vs Vegas last year. Team is a ton of fun to watch and their fans are as passionate as any here.

But the Oilers logo is tattooed on my heart and on my ass and I cannot replace that which is why it is so frustrating to see where this team has gone in the past 15 years ( 1 fluke run to the Stanley Cup finals notwithstanding ).

13. BlackMcDog

BlackMcDog Registered User

Grade & Tier 3
    I've tried to follow the Jets but its just not the same, so many fans of other teams seem like asssholes.

14. Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil English is Overrated, I Score Goals

Then we'll hire Dorian and we can all have a group sob together.

15. Aerrol

Aerrol ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

I've been following the Pens since 06-07, but now's probably not the best time to get on that bandwagon as Crosby and Malkin will be slowing down in the coming years. Still, I love how they play and its nice to actually see trades that work out haha.

Otherwise I've been partial to Nashville and they have pretty nice fans on here. I love how the Leafs play hockey but their fans are just the ****ing worst.

I have to agree that for all our faults on HFOil, no other fan group really strikes me as the same mix of knowledgeable and fun. I can't bring myself to post on HFPens nearly as often with how much they slag their superstars and actually good management. They don't appreciate it at all lol.

BlackMcDog likes this.
  16. lakai17

lakai17 Registered User

No one is forcing you. Make plans so you have an excuse not to witness them.

17. ConnorMcMullet

ConnorMcMullet Something in the Water

Are you lost? The Leafs board is here: Toronto Maple Leafs

RattsSSV and Bryanbryoil like this.
  18. Cypress

Cypress Registered User

Eh I checked out for ~5 years during the DoD. For me it's the Oilers or nothing though. Can't see myself betraying the Oilers for another team.

19. Satire

Satire Registered User

I would follow the Oilers still but I would definitely cheer for whatever team landed McDavid. Honestly if he was not in the team I don't think I would watch the games anymore. I would probably just watch the scoreboard.

As many have mentioned it is tough to follow the team for this long and not really be rewarded for that investment. I know it is just a sport, but I have a hard time letting myself get invested in them beyond watching the games in the background and checking the scores. It just puts me in a foul mood more often than not. Cant stop cheering for the team though - it's about the only thing my Dad and I have in common and as he starts to get Alzheimer's it is nice to have something to talk about and do together.

TB12 likes this.
  20. ujju2

ujju2 Registered User

I'll always be an Oilers fan but I'm super glad younger me decided that the Caps would be my second team. It was horrible for a while though, watching the Oilers suck in the regular season then watching the Caps choke in the playoffs. At least part of that has changed. Now, if McDavid leaves, that might be the final straw. But I don't see it happening. So I guess I'm stuck as an Oilers fan for life.

21. BudBundy

BudBundy Registered User

I hear ya, man. I refused to watch the Winnipeg game and didn’t bother to turn on the Kings game. I had the Ducks game on in the background but honestly didnt focus on it like I normally do. I really struggle investing any more so long as Chiarelli casts his shadow on the club.

22. Zaddy

Zaddy star shopping

If I weren't an Oilers fan and just now started following NHL hockey I'd probably go with the Canucks. Elias Pettersson is just something else. Such a talented and fun kid.

23. NeverForget06

NeverForget06 Chia is poison.

We are still blessed to watch the best player in the world night in and night out. I have definitely found myself watching more football over the last two years, but I will never be able to stop cheering for the Oilers. My favourite NFL team since I was a kid is the Oakland Raiders.... pretty sure I'm cursed.

24. joestevens29

joestevens29 Registered User

Lol go from Edmonton to Montreal?

25. gordonhught

gordonhught Registered User

My son asked me (other than the Oilers) which team he should like. I told him to follow Arizona or Vancouver. All the other teams I dislike.