Looking For A New Team To Follow

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Well, been following the team since Hemsky got drafted. Was a little kid who modelled my game after the guy.

Tonight was the final straw. Gone through the decade of darkness, Smyth being traded, playoff run in 06. This is the worst. We have arguably the most skilled hockey player of all time and just got blown out of the water by the last place team in the league. Chiarelli has run this team into the ground and even when 100% healthy, this team is nowhere close to being a contender. With no good wing or defensive prospects in the system, it's looking like another rebuild/retool of 4+ years will be required WITH A COMPETENT GM AT THE HELM.

I think it's time for me to look for another team to follow. Have been watching other games lately, and I know a good amount of the posters here have been considering the same. Truth be told, I had hardly been watching Oilers games the couple years pre-McDavid when it was the Hall, RNH, and Eberle show finishing at the bottom of the league with no point of watching games. Now I only watch for McDavid's brilliance which is becoming less and less worth watching when you know the surrounding team is so embarrassingly bad.

So, I have a few teams in mind personally.

Montreal has a massive, intense fan base. Constant discussion on their team and players, beautiful history, and are currently playing a very fun style of hockey full of speed, skill, and grit. They are right in the playoff race as well and should be for a long time. Not to mention they are EST so having earlier games to watch is another huge plus.

Winnipeg is one of the best teams in the NHL for my money. Such a solid roster of big, strong, skilled players. Have arguably the best pure goal scorer in the NHL, deep defence, hard-nosed team who will be a perennial cup contender for a while.

Boston, another original six team. Full of history, with a great roster right now. Chia actually built a decent team there and they've been helped along with Sweeney. Such a fun team to watch and their numerous rivalries make games more exciting. Another positive is the EST timezone, just like Montreal.

Any of you guys in the process of starting to consider checking out another team? Or is this just something we have to go through as part of a life long sacrificial ritual-esque suffering? I'm leaning towards Montreal honestly.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Never ever ever EVER thought I’d say this.

Ever.

I cried the day Gretzky got sold.

Have chastised other fans for being “bandwagowners”...

But if Connor asks for a trade (as long as it’s not TO or Calgs), I’m going to consider following him to his new team.

Ugh.

I feel gross just having typed that. But that’s how bad it’s gotten.

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
In the end it's just sports. More important things in life to get upset over. As much as it sucks to see McDavid wasting his time on such a bad team, he is still the heart beat of the team. Changes will come eventually. This train wreck can't last forever.

Now if McDavid ever leaves I'm out but for now, I'm hanging in there. lol

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I wish I could find another team...I will stop watching hockey completely if McDavid get traded...and I would def avoid this site like the plague if that happened.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If they keep playing like they did tonight they can **** themselves. For my own health I'll need to stop following the team as closely.

Reactions: McDrai and TB12

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
maxresdefault.jpg

Or if its hockey you must stick to I dunno maybe Vegas? I'd steer clear of Canada, it's been nothing but misery for the better part of 25 years.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I bought a Coyotes alternate jersey at the Oilers game the other night. They're pretty bad too but at least they're fun to watch.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
I've sold most of my Oilers memorabilia this year. Still have a team signed jersey from a few years ago, and a signed Draisatl jersey. Both for sale if anyone is interested. I don't think I can cheer for another team but I sure am finding it easier to follow games through The Score app and not waste 9-12 hours a week watching the games.

Reactions: Supermassive

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
My suggestion is to find something better to do. The current iteration of NHL is scarcely worthy of any support. I regret the money I’ve spent supporting this joke of a league.

It’s too bad North Americans don’t care much for soccer, I’d love to watch it at a higher level during prime time (not the middle of the day).

Last edited:

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Whenever I've time to watch some hockey, I'll decide by what matchup might have the biggest entertainment value. Really don't care much about anything else, just want to watch some good hockey. Much easier when you're not emotionally bound to a team.
Nashville, Carolina, Tampa, Isles, there's a lot of teams who are fun to watch, no reason to torture yourself by sticking to watch "your" team.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
I’ll always cheer for the Oil, but I feel you. I’ve honestly stopped watching games and I just stick to football. Once the Superbowl is over, it’ll be a tough few months until baseball starts.

Reactions: Supermassive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad