Looking back on 1st rounders, do you take the consensus picks or what we have?

Which set of 1st round picks would you prefer?

• Total voters

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
How does it show that when the vast majority have voted for what Benning picked?

ah hello sv!

Yes my phone wouldn't show the results (bad connection), so I went based off of some posts I read. Connection improved and I saw the results, so I edited my post.

Good for you to quote something I already corrected!

See how that works when one can be adult enough to admit when they're wrong and correct their mistakes.

Hopefully you've learned something today and I won't have to read you posting on how elite benning is at being a GM. You didn't have any comments on that so I guess that excuse has been debunked.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
Can we call agree that Gillis did a great job drafting Gaunce and Jensen then? If we had drafted better players with those picks we would have had a better team and thus not had Boeser or Petterson.

Am I doing this right?

Yes, spot on!

:biglaugh:

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
Would it though?

If we'd had better players, would we have been better and therefore missed out on Boeser and Pettersson?

Not if we had a smart GM who had a plan. benning's main objective is to keep his job and the team's best interest is an afterthought.

We could do what TO did, but how could he drum up any excitement without adding a prospect to the roster, regardlessif they're ready or not. Injured? who cares, we need to win games and sell seats...wrap his wrist up and get him on the ice.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I'd take the Intangibos picks, except it's kind of cheating since I didn't follow the last two years. This year I liked Hughes but didn't have a clear favorite, and last year I literally didn't even know Pettersson existed, but after he was drafted I said yeah I like this pick way more than Vilardi who I liked more than Glass. I'm actually the best scout. Seriously guys I know that there is no evidence that I'm actually a genius but I totes would have picked Pettersson 100% (I actually think I would have though, it would be easier for me to lie about Pastrnak if I was inclined to do so)

Ehlers, McCann, Konecny, Tkachuk, Pettersson*, Hughes*

I like how this is a patting myself on the back post without even having done anything to deserve it. I'm the Gudbranson of HFCanucks

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
2nd choice (Reality) and it's not really debatable.

I'm not a Benning fan, but he's hit some big home runs in drafting... he basically sucks at just about everything else as a GM.

Do you trade:
Virtanen, Boeser, Juolevi, Pettersson,

For:
Nylander, Merkley, Tkachuk, Glass

The answer for me is clearly no. The best two players of those 8.... the Canucks have. In my opinion the Canucks win here easily. If Juolevi turns into a Top 4 and Virtanen and Middle 6, it's a landslide victory.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Ehlers
Barbashev
Juulsen
Tkachuk
Glass
Hughes was my 1st choice but since I never thought he'd fall to us I guess it would be Dobson if Hughes wasn't available.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
2nd choice (Reality) and it's not really debatable.

I'm not a Benning fan, but he's hit some big home runs in drafting... he basically sucks at just about everything else as a GM.

Do you trade:
Virtanen, Boeser, Juolevi, Pettersson,

For:
Nylander, Merkley, Tkachuk, Glass

The answer for me is clearly no. The best two players of those 8.... the Canucks have. In my opinion the Canucks win here easily. If Juolevi turns into a Top 4 and Virtanen and Middle 6, it's a landslide victory.
Think you nailed it. Most of us think Benning is a terrible GM but you have to acknowledge the home runs at drafting. It’s the one area where he seems to have learned and gone for skill over size in the last two years especially. Getting EP was almost like winning the draft lottery.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
ah hello sv!

Yes my phone wouldn't show the results (bad connection), so I went based off of some posts I read. Connection improved and I saw the results, so I edited my post.

Good for you to quote something I already corrected!

See how that works when one can be adult enough to admit when they're wrong and correct their mistakes.

Hopefully you've learned something today and I won't have to read you posting on how elite benning is at being a GM. You didn't have any comments on that so I guess that excuse has been debunked.
I've never said Benning is elite :huh:

I've said all along that he's not as bad as you and other naysayers keep trying to tell us.

Perhaps after you've grown up you might be able to teach me something, until then I suggest you go and learn to read.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Can we call agree that Gillis did a great job drafting Gaunce and Jensen then? If we had drafted better players with those picks we would have had a better team and thus not had Boeser or Petterson.

Am I doing this right?
No your not doing this right, that makes no sense. Where does the nonsense end??

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
So looking back did anyone here actually have Boeser as the BPA available at 23 in 2015???

He was expected to go mid-20s, he went mid-20s. Konecny pips him for consensus. Konecny has a had great start to his career too, 47 points last year which is excellent for a guy with limited PP time (23 goals and 44p at ES).

Ted Hampson did a great job getting Boeser.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Would it though?

If we'd had better players, would we have been better and therefore missed out on Boeser and Pettersson?
So your argument is that because Benning is a terrible GM we get higher picks so he's a great GM. A crap GM is a crap GM. The scouts having a hot streak doesn't change that.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Jesus. Hold the horses alittle.

Virtanen and Juolevi have done nothing to justify getting picked where they went and thus are not looking like good picks.

Boeser looked great last year but has looked like shit so far and as we have seen with Edler, a back injury can severely hamper a player.

EP looks fantastic but it's only been 2 games and alot can change rather quickly.

If Boeser can regain his pre-injury form AND EP continues to shine, I'd say those 2 out-weigh the other potentials.

If Boeser continues to struggle and his back injury puts a damper on his career, I'd take the consensus.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
I've never said Benning is elite :huh:

I've said all along that he's not as bad as you and other naysayers keep trying to tell us.

Perhaps after you've grown up you might be able to teach me something, until then I suggest you go and learn to read.

You spend enough time defending him to imply that you think he's good, very good or elite (covered the whole spectrum for you). Why would you even bother to comment in a pro-tank thread if you thought otherwise?

Oh right, you think he's 'not bad' enough to waste your time defending him. :sarcasm:

Yeah, I'll try and learn to read during recess...thanks for that! In the meantime, I'm enjoying this banter as you cast cobblers!

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
You spend enough time defending him to imply that you think he's good, very good or elite (covered the whole spectrum for you). Why would you even bother to comment in a pro-tank thread if you thought otherwise?

Oh right, you think he's 'not bad' enough to waste your time defending him. :sarcasm:

Yeah, I'll try and learn to read during recess...thanks for that! In the meantime, I'm enjoying this banter as you cast cobblers!
God, don't you spout a load of sh!t!

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
God, don't you spout a load of sh!t!

Shiver me timbers! Kibbles and bits! BATTLE!! I assume you adopted the same mantra as the canucks that this 'good, very good, elite' benning put together!

Don't make ignorant comments aimlessly and use your f'n brains and read what thread your in, better yet what country we're in, before you start preaching to me and others about how a fan should act.

As I said, you shouldn't be casting the first cobbler if you live in a glass house. You started trolling me...now you're crying about it when I respond? FFS

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Pettersson ranked 5th goes 5th. Turns out to be a steal at that location. Boeser ranked mid 20's goes mid 20's. turns out to be a steal. Juolevi was a poor pick, if we were not taking Tkachuk, we should have traded down. If the Canucks seriously thought that Juolevi was a better choice than Tkachuk - then fail. Virtanen in hind site is looking like a poor choice as well.

However,Pettersson and Boeser are making us think we have a future. And Quinn. And Tryamkin comes back. And all that talent in Utica should get us a couple of decent players. And Juolevi could become a top pair D man. Not likely but.

We are lucky in that Pettersson has lit the world on fire since we drafted him. Without him, we would look pretty poor.

Reactions: timw33

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Pettersson ranked 5th goes 5th. Turns out to be a steal at that location. Boeser ranked mid 20's goes mid 20's. turns out to be a steal. Juolevi was a poor pick, if we were not taking Tkachuk, we should have traded down. If the Canucks seriously thought that Juolevi was a better choice than Tkachuk - then fail. Virtanen in hind site is looking like a poor choice as well.

However,Pettersson and Boeser are making us think we have a future. And Quinn. And Tryamkin comes back. And all that talent in Utica should get us a couple of decent players. And Juolevi could become a top pair D man. Not likely but.

We are lucky in that Pettersson has lit the world on fire since we drafted him. Without him, we would look pretty poor.
Only thing is..is that Pettersson wasnt ranked 5th..(everybody here had him rated 9th)...Vilardi,Glass and Mittelstadt were rated higher...Juolevi was rated #7 by the overall consensus,and #6 by Bob McK (TSN)..Yet it was a total stretch in picking him?..You have pretty selective thinking.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Interesting hypothetical. I won't vote but the Virtanen and Juolevi picks were brutal. Set us back a couple years. I think you have to judge each pick individually and do away with this basket stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->