Looking back at the top 50 prospects rankings in early 2018

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Haven't been on this site since early 2020. I'm sure the mods are relieved, sorry for being an ass in the past. A lot has happened since then (good). Can't go much into details but let's just say with the internet there's no need to appeal to authority, especially in sports.

This was a thread I made back in Feb 2018.
Ainec's top 50 drafted prospects - Filip Chytil > Jagr+Malkin
Fun project that took me a few hours to do, and I wanted to compare it to Button's top 50 list and Pronman's top 50 list.

It's been 3 years since then and I think as far as franchise players go this is pretty much it.

-

Source:
Cupboard is stocked for up-and-coming Canucks - TSN.ca
Pronman: 2017-18 midseason Top 50 NHL prospects

Left (my list), Middle (Button), Right (Pronman)
hkFrHuS.png

oqPjFmw.png

Notes:

*Pronman's did not include goaltenders (gained extra 5 players)

blue chips (highlighted)
15, 14, 14

franchise players (black highlight)

2021 breakout stars (red highlight)

Biggest missed top 50 inclusion
Cirelli

Biggest strength
Ranking within context (able to rank known commodities)
Did not overvalue goaltenders

Biggest weakness
Ranking outside context/sphere (Adam Fox)

Reactions: BruinsBtn

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe not #1 on that list but Chytil is showing very well this season. Dude has 1C potential and is already a 2C. He's making guys like Rooney and Gauthier look better than they are.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
So he has 6 points in 8 games and you had to come back after 3 years to declare victory on winning a guessing game against a sports writer

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Looking at these rankings kind of makes me wonder why Pronman gets paid to make prospect lists. Mind you, I've wondered that for a while.

He was right on Lias Andersson. Wasnt even included on Pronmans 50, and look at some of those names towards the bottom. Quite a stance in 2018, was right on that one

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So he has 6 points in 8 games and you had to come back after 3 years to declare victory on winning a guessing game against a sports writer

There's no reason to brag about Chytil yet, but if you actually watch him play you can see how important he is to the Rangers he was sorely missed when he was injured. Arguably our third best forward this year after Panarin and Kreider.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
He was right on Lias Andersson. Wasnt even included on Pronmans 50, and look at some of those names towards the bottom. Quite a stance in 2018, was right on that one

Yeah but Andersson has accomplished about as much as his #1 guy.

Reactions: nowhereman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad