Looking back at the Roy trade

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Somebody has to. Track record, especially post-lockout Ruff, says that a new "guy" will be called upon from the start to do exactly what you said in the bolded.

My immediate attempt to get inside Lindy's head has me thinking it will be Ennis.

That's my fear...

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I actually think even though he said Ennis after last season, it's gonna end up being Hodgson. Ruff likes his guys to be good defensively, and Hodgson is more likely to fill that role than Ennis. Ruff trusted Roy in all zones...I think he's more likely to trust Hodgson than Ennis in that same role.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Wasn't it 10-11 where the Sabres were DFL in the league and then Roy went down and they went on a tear and made the playoff? This assumption that the team is worse off with Ott and without Roy, the most recent sample set says otherwise.

I don't mind seeing Roy gone for a variety of reasons. I appreciate having Ott on board for a variety of reasons. I don't think Roy could have fetched so much more at the trade deadline more than the Sabres got in the offseason, that it was worth carrying him. I'm sure Roy was not going to be resigned in any event.

I do think it was a good hockey trade even discounting the contract and salary implications.

I guess the comparable would be the Ribiero trade that opened up a spot for Roy in Dallas. Which would you rather have on this Sabres team right now?

A) Derek Roy
B) Steve Ott and Adam Pardy
C) Mike Ribiero
D) Dallas Eakin and Mike Winther

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Ruff just reiterated on HH that Ennis will be put in Roy's role, mentioning that Ennis will get all the top offensive opportunities. The irony in all that is that only Gaustad had a smaller % of offensive-zone starts than Roy--Hodgson, Ennis, Leino, et al. had higher percentage of offensive-zone starts.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Ruff just reiterated on HH that Ennis will be put in Roy's role, mentioning that Ennis will get all the top offensive opportunities. The irony in all that is that only Gaustad had a smaller % of offensive-zone starts than Roy--Hodgson, Ennis, Leino, et al. had higher percentage of offensive-zone starts.

I'd think he was trying to get fired, if I didn't know how stupid he is

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

It's clear from what he said that "Roy's role" meant as the #1 center offensively-speaking. I don't think it was meant to imply anything outside of getting lots of even strength time, PP time, and offensive zone starts.

He also said he expects Ott will be taking lots of key faceoffs, in case anyone's interested.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I think that was a product of Roy getting Goose's defensive zone starts after the trade. Primarily for Roy's faceoff ability.

Last year Roy started 48.9 % of his shifts in the offensive zone and thats the lowest that number has been in the last 5 seasons.

The previous 4 seasons

10-11 --> 61.8%
09-10 --> 51.6%
08-09 --> 50.9%
07-08 --> 54.2%

Its also worth pointing out that Hodgson getting 52.3% of his starts in the offensive zone includes 63gms with the Nucks. A team with Kesler, Malhotra and Lapierre on it would leave few opportunities for Cody to get many d-zone starts.

I think Ruff envisions Ennis being the Roy that started 50+% of his starts in the offensive zone. Not the one that was in a more defensive role at the tail end of last season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad