Boston Bruins Looking back at the 2016 Entry Draft

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
McAvoy was my favorite defenceman in that draft. I remember thinking at the time how fortunate it was that he was ranked so far below where I thought he should have been, because it gave the Bruins a shot.

I was working during the draft with my breath held... When the notification came through, I yelled in the middle of the bookstore and high-fived a random customer.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
When the Bruins put out

Marchand-Bergeron- Pastrnak
Chara-McAvoy

I wonder in 25 years how many are HOF

Chara slam dunk
Bergeron should have 400 career goals and 6+ Selkes and all the Cups and medals - he's a lock

Marchand I believe scores 500 goals and is top 5 SHG all time - his uniqueness i thigh has a good chance

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
When the Bruins put out

Marchand-Bergeron- Pastrnak
Chara-McAvoy

I wonder in 25 years how many are HOF

Chara slam dunk
Bergeron should have 400 career goals and 6+ Selkes and all the Cups and medals - he's a lock

Marchand I believe scores 500 goals and is top 5 SHG all time - his uniqueness i thigh has a good chance

Bergeron may have a chance but a lock.... I dunno. I mean I would like to see it. He's 32 so he averages 17 to 18 goals a season so at 269 currently he still need 131 more for 400. So I would say 6 more season that's roughly 21 a season....like I said.... I dunno. Chara should make it easily and Marchand is too early still but let's hope they all make it.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I REALLY wanted to see the Bruins pick Jacob Chychrun. He was in the running for the number one overall for most of the year, he had a lot of great physical gifts and talent, and with the Carlo pick last season, I was thinking that would be an excellent young top pairing ( LD/RD ) for years to come.

I can't remember if I liked McAvoy more than Fabbro, but it is crazy to think that if the Sharks hadn't gone on their last season run, we could have had a chance at both McAvoy and Chychrun.

McAvoy was a slam dunk and Trent Frederic and Ryan Lindgren look like they could come and make their mark sometime in the next two years. This is another draft where the Bruins picked up some valuable team building pieces. 2014, 2015, and 2016 are becoming banner years for the Bruins draft and development department and it couldn't have come at a more crucial time for the franchise.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Bergeron may have a chance but a lock.... I dunno. I mean I would like to see it. He's 32 so he averages 17 to 18 goals a season so at 269 currently he still need 131 more for 400. So I would say 6 more season that's roughly 21 a season....like I said.... I dunno. Chara should make it easily and Marchand is too early still but let's hope they all make it.

He's in the triple gold club (and to that affect has more than 1 Olympic and was a huge part of why they were so good)

He's tied for most selke's

He came back from a horrible neck and brain injury and did a lot of the stuff I mentioned AFTER that

Doesn't look to be slowing down if he can stay healthy, could easily play another 8 years and be a recchi type in his last 3

To the people who pick HOF selections, they get hockey and picking Bergeron won't be difficult

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
He's in the triple gold club (and to that affect has more than 1 Olympic and was a huge part of why they were so good)

He's tied for most selke's

He came back from a horrible neck and brain injury and did a lot of the stuff I mentioned AFTER that

Doesn't look to be slowing down if he can stay healthy, could easily play another 8 years and be a recchi type in his last 3

To the people who pick HOF selections, they get hockey and picking Bergeron won't be difficult

yup, bergeron is a lock to me. if bob gainey is in, there's no way bergeron can be out.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

If he plays 6 seasons ( retires at 38 )

- 131 goals to 400 ( 21 goals per )

- 305 points to 1000 ( 51 per )

- 1 more Selke to have the most all-time

- Triple Gold Club member

- in the dawn of Advanced Stats, Bergeron is looked at as the first King of Corsi. While that may not seem like much in a vacuum to fans, impact of a player on his era matters a lot to voters - think Cam Neely

I think the statistical marks of 400 goals/1000 points are very obtainable, especially with Marchand crushing his prime years and Pasta still yet to hit his. If I had to put a grade on Bergeron's HOF resume, it's currently at a B+ with a lot of time to get bumped to an A.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
2016 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

We are so fortunate to have be able to draft the "next one" in Charlie McAvoy. He was the 3rd-4th best D left according to many rankings that year, yet we rolled the dice. This may be the pick we look back on during our next parade.

Great draft.

I got to watch McAvoy all last year as a season ticket holder at BU and his dominance in the NHL is a little surprising. He's a better NHL player than a college player, IMO. In college, he was less consistent. He'd play great in big games, he was great in the WJC's, and if his team needed a goal he'd step up and try to be a difference maker, but there were a lot of games where he was very quiet.

At any rate, the next 5 picks after McAvoy were Frederic, Lindgren, Koppanen, Clarke and Steen. FOUR of them are playing in the WJC's this week (along with Vaakanainen). Can't wait to watch!

Reactions: 00BW

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
as for 2016, i liked dante fabbro over mcavoy so there's that :thumbd:

To his credit, Fabbro is playing well right now in college. But yeah, McAvoy looks like a number 1 guy right now while Fabbro is just a good prospect with nice romance novel hair and the name to match.

Reactions: wintersej

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Great draft.

I got to watch McAvoy all last year as a season ticket holder at BU and his dominance in the NHL is a little surprising. He's a better NHL player than a college player, IMO. In college, he was less consistent. He'd play great in big games, he was great in the WJC's, and if his team needed a goal he'd step up and try to be a difference maker, but there were a lot of games where he was very quiet.

At any rate, the next 5 picks after McAvoy were Frederic, Lindgren, Koppanen, Clarke and Steen. FOUR of them are playing in the WJC's this week (along with Vaakanainen). Can't wait to watch!
I'm with you on McAvoy. I saw him 4 times and he was better in the NHL playoffs against Ottawa in April than against Lowell in Lowell in March.

Insane

Reactions: PlayMakers

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
McAvoy was a brilliant pick, no doubt. The other guys are no slouches either. DS and his staff have been killing it in the draft. Already two top-4 d-men in such a short period is ridiculous alone.

As for the HOF, Chara is a lock since he is one of the elite shutdown d-men of all time. Bergeron is a lock as well. People need to remember that by the time he is eligible for the HOF advanced stats will have been in play long enough to actually matter in choosing HOF entrants. Even without his advanced stats his collection of hardware and mere eye test of being an elite defender would be enough to get him in. Marchand, Pasta, and McAvoy obviously have a shot but have a ways to go before being considered.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I'm with you on McAvoy. I saw him 4 times and he was better in the NHL playoffs against Ottawa in April than against Lowell in Lowell in March.

Insane

During the playoffs, McAvoy said that the adjustment was going well because he didn't feel pressure to make a great play every shift. After his WJC performance everyone wanted him to score 2ppg for BU, but he is more effective just making simple plays.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Any draft you can walk away from with a franchise player regardless of which pick was used to select them or how many other great or franchise players are in that draft, you have had a successful draft. There were a number of people that said the Bruins missed again when Chychrun fell into their lap only to be passed over and snatched up at 16 after a trade up just like a certain center the year before. At least this 'controversy' has decidedly been put to rest.

Some 'scouting services' called this a weak draft: 2016 NHL draft: Class is a mixed bag

I hadn't realized until @PlayMakers mentioned it earlier in this thread. 4 of the Bruins remaining 5 players taken after McAvoy are at the WJC this week. That's only a general evaluation of talent that might mean nothing but in a supposed weak draft, that is some excellent picking. So the WJCs played in by this Bruins draft class are 2, 1, 2, 1, 0, 1.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Any draft you can walk away from with a franchise player regardless of which pick was used to select them or how many other great or franchise players are in that draft, you have had a successful draft. There were a number of people that said the Bruins missed again when Chychrun fell into their lap only to be passed over and snatched up at 16 after a trade up just like a certain center the year before. At least this 'controversy' has decidedly been put to rest.

Haha, I got into it with some guy on reddit who would still take Chychrun over McAvoy.

Reactions: 00BW

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Regarding McAvoy, I've seen many players who perform better at higher levels. They can elevate their game and relate while others cannot. Kudos to the scouts who know and see this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->