Boston Bruins Looking back at Bruins games with New Jersey this year

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It now appears the Bruins will face New Jersey in Round one.

Let's look back at the 3 games between the clubs this season.

Bruins top Devils behind Khudobin, McAvoy

Marchand has goal, assist for Bruins in 3-2 win over Devils

McQuaid's first goal gives Bruins win over Devils

The Devils are a team that lulls you to sleep and then pounces on a mistake but the Bruins should win the series while Tampa/Toronto bash each other around.

The matchup isn't set yet as it still could be Philadelphia, Toronto or even Columbus, but the odds favor NJ meeting the B's.

upload_2018-4-2_12-35-57.png

Devils remaining

upload_2018-4-2_12-34-45.png

Flyers remaining

upload_2018-4-2_13-13-43.png

Blue Jackets remaining

upload_2018-4-2_12-34-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-2_12-29-17.png
    upload_2018-4-2_12-29-17.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 3
  • upload_2018-4-2_12-30-43.png
    upload_2018-4-2_12-30-43.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: TP

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
lol the Flyers and Devils are 1 point apart with 3 games left. It does not "appear" we know our opponent, at all.

But we know it's one of 4 teams. All 4 of the teams we could face would be dogs to us, and all 3 could beat us if things went just right.

If you told me we got Columbus, I'd believe it. Still possible.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
lol the Flyers and Devils are 1 point apart with 3 games left. It does not "appear" we know our opponent, at all.

But we know it's one of 4 teams. All 4 of the teams we could face would be dogs to us, and all 3 could beat us if things went just right.

Based on the remaining schedule it looks like Philly could move up BUT do they really want Pittsburgh? Same applies to Columbus.

My wish is the Bruins lock up the #1 seed by Thursday and we see a lot of Providence players the final 2 games in Boston.

C0ach B0mbay

Sep 14, 2009
Boston

A lot of hockey left, sure, but the Devils are definitely the most likely opponent at the moment.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
A lot of hockey left, sure, but the Devils are definitely the most likely opponent at the moment.

No in fact that's incorrect. The lost likely opponent right now is the field. If I had to bet all of the field vs the devils, I'd bet the field. I think you would too.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Well, OK, we all agree on that....but enough about the officiating! LOL

Actually, I believe the B's have as good a chance of winning the cup as any team out there.

I also believe they have just as good a chance of losing in round 1.
Yeah that’s pretty much my sentiments also,no such thing as an easy opponent in the first round.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I have said it in a couple other threads so might as well say it here. Despite the final score, the Devils shelled us in the 3 games. Goalies basically stole it for us. They don't "scare" me per se because the Bruins should win, but I don't like the matchup. Lots of speed as well as the Marchand factor. @Trap Jesus pointed out some nice stats that really show the Bruins matching up well against them so I definitely don't wanna throw any of that info out, but my gut tells me this has the makeup of a 2009 Carolina matchup.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm not up to speed on the Devils, but is there a goalie controversy brewing? It seems Schneider has been slumping and Kinkaid is getting lots of starts.

After the Marchand hit, I can see the Devils psychologically pumped to end the Bruins' season.

That being said, on paper the Bruins would be favored.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Game 1- Tie
Scheinder .927SV
Khudobin.952SV

Game 2- 1 Goal Win
Scheinder .850SV Pulled
Rask .950SV

Game 3- 2 goal win (empty netter)
Eddie Lack .846SV
Khudobin.928 SV

Bruins goalies stood on there head against NJ

stopping 40 shots a game

Meanwhile beside game 1 NJ had horrible goaltending and gave us hell every game if they get average to above average goaltending this will be a tough series

Reactions: Orr2Neely8

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
If it's the Devils or the Leafs, give me the Devils every time. Both teams are fast and skilled but the Leafs definetly have the higher end players and Anderson gives us more problems then either of the Devils goalies.

C0ach B0mbay

Sep 14, 2009
Boston
I'm not up to speed on the Devils, but is there a goalie controversy brewing? It seems Schneider has been slumping and Kinkaid is getting lots of starts.

After the Marchand hit, I can see the Devils psychologically pumped to end the Bruins' season.

That being said, on paper the Bruins would be favored.

It certainly looks that way. I'd be surprised if Kinkaid started game 1, but he's doing a lot of good work to get them in the dance.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
It certainly looks that way. I'd be surprised if Kinkaid started game 1, but he's doing a lot of good work to get them in the dance.

Running into a hot backup goalie in the playoffs

When has that ever been a problem for the Bruins before

:cry::cry::cry:

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I think we're gonna beat the Devils. I think the first 3 games will be intense and well drop 1 or squeak out a win in the others. But I think our defense and physical play will wear them down after the first 3 games and well win the last games pretty easily.

Devils are young and passionate and want to win. They're not going to roll over. But we're the better team with more experience. As long as Tuukka plays well and we don't get any more important injuries well be okay. Much better match up than Toronto.

I hope Tampa beats Toronto because I have no fear of Tampa. Toronto could absolutely upset us and I would not be surprised to see it.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Do we have any idea what the schedule might look like for our series if we’re the 1 seed? I’m sure the Leafs are locked into Saturday night for HNIC but I’m hoping the B’s will also host a game that Saturday

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Do we have any idea what the schedule might look like for our series if we’re the 1 seed? I’m sure the Leafs are locked into Saturday night for HNIC but I’m hoping the B’s will also host a game that Saturday

Good chance NBC Mothership would Grab Game 2 in Boston for either Sat or Sunday afternoon. The network is trying to prop up the struggling NBC Boston

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I think we'll win this series somewhat easily. Marchand is in their heads so much that they're going to be running around headhunting and forget to play hockey.

I just hope no one gets injured.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston

Celtics play Wedensday at Garden

Game 1 is a most likely locked for Thursday night

Game 2 is probably gonna be Saturday

As the Bs almost exclusively play home games Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

Celtics almost play every single Home Game Wednesday, Friday, Sunday

NBA playoff start Saturday- So the Celtics will have a home game either Saturday or Sunday

Could be a doubleheader at the Garden Saturday

But I’d bet money

Thursday- Bruins Game 1
Saturday- Bruins Game 2
Sunday- Celtics Game 1

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I have said it in a couple other threads so might as well say it here. Despite the final score, the Devils shelled us in the 3 games. Goalies basically stole it for us. They don't "scare" me per se because the Bruins should win, but I don't like the matchup. Lots of speed as well as the Marchand factor. @Trap Jesus pointed out some nice stats that really show the Bruins matching up well against them so I definitely don't wanna throw any of that info out, but my gut tells me this has the makeup of a 2009 Carolina matchup.
To be fair though, the breakdown of the percentage of time leading/tied/trailing in the 3 games was:

Lead:51.4%
Tied: 43.9%
Trail: 4.8%

I don't think the Bruins played particularly well regardless, but chances are you're going to get outshot if the games work out this way.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I think we'll win this series somewhat easily. Marchand is in their heads so much that they're going to be running around headhunting and forget to play hockey.

I just hope no one gets injured.
Nothing is easy. First round always a nail biter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad