Looking back at 2001's first rounders.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Ilya Kovalchuk - Franchise player. One of the NHL's most dangerous and skilled forwards. Should be a great player for a long time.

Jason Spezza - One of the NHL's premier playmakers. Should be able to put up 70-80 points throughout his career.

Alexander Svitov - Was said to be NHL ready during his draft year. May be a bust. He may have 1 more chance to prove himself in Columbus.

Stephen Weiss - Was playing fantastic hockey before injury. He should be an important player for Florida for quite some time.

Stanislav Chistov - Played solid hockey for Anaheim in his rookie season. Was a part of the Anaheim team that made it to the Cup finals. If he decides to return to the NHL he could be an offensive force.

Mikko Koivu - Not expected to put up huge offensive numbers but will be a mainstay for awhile in Minny. He fits right in with Lemaire's system and can be a fantastic 2-way player.

Mike Komisarek - Solid defensive defenseman that is becoming a physical force in the NHL. Many think he was picked too high. He's starting to look like a safe pick.

Pascal Leclaire - Columbus's present number one goaltender along with Denis is counted on to be the future number 1 for many years. In the AHL he battled consistency for awhile.

Tuomo Ruutu - Was once named the best player in the world not in the NHL. Had a good rookie season until running into numerous injury problems that may end his career way too early.

Dan Blackburn - Unfortunate that this potential number 1 goaltender had to retire due to injuries.

Fredrik Sjostrom - Has shown alot of inconsistency so far in the NHL but has the ability to surprise alot of people. Could be a solid 2-way player if he hits his full potential.

Dan Hamhuis - Solid pick. Is one of Nashville's go to guys on D. Will be counted on to play in more situations as he gets older.

Ales Hemsky - He showed many flashes of brilliance this year. Has the potential to be a huge offensive force.

Chuck Kobasew - Seems to do many things right but it never shows on the score sheet. Will be a solid 3rd liner.

Igor Knyazev - Bust

R.J. Umberger - Had a promising rookie season with Philly. Will continue to get better and eventually be able to but up 80 points.

Carlo Colaiacovo - Still waiting for his chance in Toronto. Will be a solid D-man for the Leafs if used correctly.

Jens Karlsson - Bust

Shaone Morrisonn - Solid 2nd or 3rd pairing D man for the Caps.

Marcel Goc - Struggled with inconsistency but can prove to be a very good pick.

Colby Armstrong - Showed promise with the Pens at times this year. Will benefit majorly if he plays on a line with Sid The Kid.

Jiri Novotny - Was previously called a bust. Had a decent year in the AHL and is looking like a solid 3rd liner.

Tim Gleason - Defender had a good season with LA. He surprised alot of people and will most likely be a top 4 D man for many years.

Lukas Krajicek - Was a surprise with Florida this year. He is still a very soft player but could be a big part of the Panthers blueline for many years to come.

Alexander Perezhogin - An inconsistent season in Montreal left people waiting to see what he can do next year. If he gets set linemates for the full season he can score 20 goals. Is said to have good offensive potential.

Jason Bacashihua - Played well in the AHL for a few years. Solid play for St.Louis at times this season. Should get more games next year.

Jeff Woywitka - Still waiting for a chance while playing for his 3rd team.

Adrian Foster - Who?

Adam Munro - Don't know much on this guy.

Dave Steckel - Bust.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
Good read but...

Morrison was probably the Caps best D-man this season, not a "2nd or 3rd pairing guy"

Umberger..80 points? I dunno..

Hamhuis = mini-Redden

otherwise some solid stuff.

espo*

As a habs fan................Wish we had'nt taken Komi.It's not that i don't like him,just like a few on this list that were taken after him much better.Was expecting more from him by this point.It could still happen but i think he'll only get marginally better.

But there is still hope i guess.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Leachmeister2000 said:
Spezza scored at a 1.3 ppg clip and you only expect 70-80 pts out of him?

70-80 points on average. I don't see him being a 100 point guy through his career. But that's only my opinion.

I see him putting up seasons of 25 goals and 55 assists. Just my opinion.

gbl1p

Jun 19, 2003
Ottawa
www.level1productions.com
Leachmeister2000 said:
Spezza scored at a 1.3 ppg clip and you only expect 70-80 pts out of him?

Was waiting for that. 90 points this year with some injury probs. He's got a long way to go to round out his game and become more effective at both ends, which is actually scary. Will be a perennial top 5 point producer while healthy.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
habsfan15 said:
Ilya Kovalchuk - Franchise player. One of the NHL's most dangerous and skilled forwards. Should be a great player for a long time.

Jason Spezza - One of the NHL's premier playmakers. Should be able to put up 70-80 points throughout his career.

Alexander Svitov - Was said to be NHL ready during his draft year. May be a bust. He may have 1 more chance to prove himself in Columbus.

Stephen Weiss - Was playing fantastic hockey before injury. He should be an important player for Florida for quite some time.

Stanislav Chistov - Played solid hockey for Anaheim in his rookie season. Was a part of the Anaheim team that made it to the Cup finals. If he decides to return to the NHL he could be an offensive force.

Mikko Koivu - Not expected to put up huge offensive numbers but will be a mainstay for awhile in Minny. He fits right in with Lemaire's system and can be a fantastic 2-way player.

Mike Komisarek - Solid defensive defenseman that is becoming a physical force in the NHL. Many think he was picked too high. He's starting to look like a safe pick.

Pascal Leclaire - Columbus's present number one goaltender along with Denis is counted on to be the future number 1 for many years. In the AHL he battled consistency for awhile.

Tuomo Ruutu - Was once named the best player in the world not in the NHL. Had a good rookie season until running into numerous injury problems that may end his career way too early.

Dan Blackburn - Unfortunate that this potential number 1 goaltender had to retire due to injuries.

Fredrik Sjostrom - Has shown alot of inconsistency so far in the NHL but has the ability to surprise alot of people. Could be a solid 2-way player if he hits his full potential.

Dan Hamhuis - Solid pick. Is one of Nashville's go to guys on D. Will be counted on to play in more situations as he gets older.

Ales Hemsky - He showed many flashes of brilliance this year. Has the potential to be a huge offensive force.

Chuck Kobasew - Seems to do many things right but it never shows on the score sheet. Will be a solid 3rd liner.

Igor Knyazev - Bust

R.J. Umberger - Had a promising rookie season with Philly. Will continue to get better and eventually be able to but up 80 points.

Carlo Colaiacovo - Still waiting for his chance in Toronto. Will be a solid D-man for the Leafs if used correctly.

Jens Karlsson - Bust

Shaone Morrisonn - Solid 2nd or 3rd pairing D man for the Caps.

Marcel Goc - Struggled with inconsistency but can prove to be a very good pick.

Colby Armstrong - Showed promise with the Pens at times this year. Will benefit majorly if he plays on a line with Sid The Kid.

Jiri Novotny - Was previously called a bust. Had a decent year in the AHL and is looking like a solid 3rd liner.

Tim Gleason - Defender had a good season with LA. He surprised alot of people and will most likely be a top 4 D man for many years.

Lukas Krajicek - Was a surprise with Florida this year. He is still a very soft player but could be a big part of the Panthers blueline for many years to come.

Alexander Perezhogin - An inconsistent season in Montreal left people waiting to see what he can do next year. If he gets set linemates for the full season he can score 20 goals. Is said to have good offensive potential.

Jason Bacashihua - Played well in the AHL for a few years. Solid play for St.Louis at times this season. Should get more games next year.

Jeff Woywitka - Still waiting for a chance while playing for his 3rd team.

Adrian Foster - Who?

Adam Munro - Don't know much on this guy.

Dave Steckel - Bust.

Hmm, interesting stuff. Spezza only 70-80 points along with Umberger? Not sure how you come to that conclusion. Morrisonn a 2nd or 3rd pairing guy? I think you need to watch him more. Kobasew a solid 3rd liner along with Novotny? Never shows on the score sheet? 20 goals in his first full NHL season and so much more to come. 30 goal man for sure, if not more. You need to watch some Calgary games.

It looks to me like you're making alot of assumptions without having seen alot of these guys play.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Sjostrom has not been inconsistent. He's been misused. He was asked, essentially, to play in a defensive shut down role, and he succeeded. I expect him to get a much more expanded offensive role this year and, if he gets top 6 minutes with Doan and Reinprecht, could easily get 60 points.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Kritty said:
Hmm, interesting stuff. Spezza only 70-80 points along with Umberger? Not sure how you come to that conclusion. Morrisonn a 2nd or 3rd pairing guy? I think you need to watch him more. Kobasew a solid 3rd liner along with Novotny? Never shows on the score sheet? 20 goals in his first full NHL season and so much more to come. 30 goal man for sure, if not more. You need to watch some Calgary games.

It looks to me like you're making alot of assumptions without having seen alot of these guys play.

Alright, 80 points for Umberger may be a little far fetched.

And as for Kobasew, seasons of 17 and 31 points isn't really first line material. But then again Calgary is a defensive minded team. I guess 50-60 points is reasonable for him. It's just my opinion that I see him as a 3rd liner in Calgary.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
habsfan15 said:
70-80 points on average. I don't see him being a 100 point guy through his career. But that's only my opinion.

I see him putting up seasons of 25 goals and 55 assists. Just my opinion.

If you mean injuries slowing him down, then i could see it... but if he plays 82 games a season, he's definately hitting the 100 pt mark every year!

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Habs4Life said:
If you mean injuries slowing him down, then i could see it... but if he plays 82 games a season, he's definately hitting the 100 pt mark every year!

And I respect your opinion.

2ForRoughing*

Bacashua has shown flashes of excellence playing for St.Louis last year. He has incredibly quick legs and a solid glove hand and good positioning. IMO he has the upside of a solid number one goalie in the league for years to come. Not an all star perhaps, but solid and very respectable nonetheless.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
Dave Steckel is not a bust. He's taken some time to develop but he is tearing it up and is a key, KEY factor in the AHL Bears' Calder Cup run. He has been a defensive wizard with Boyd Gordon and both could be shutdown guys for the Caps next year.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Wow, it pretty much goes

Kovalchuk
Spezza
The rest

digitalmonkey*

habsfan15 said:

May be forced to retire due to concussions.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Habs4Life said:

it also depends who his linemates are. It's hard to judge the rest of his career using this year because he had 2 great linemates and all 3 helped eachother out to be better.

Let's say he becomes a UFA and signs with a team not so talented i think 70-80 points seems about right.

Rez

Oct 5, 2005
A shame about Ruutu. I really hope he does come back, because if he can stay healthy, he could potentially be the second best player in the 01 draft class.

Hamhuis is also hugely underrated. He's going to be a force to be reckowned with.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
cyclops said:
As a habs fan................Wish we had'nt taken Komi.It's not that i don't like him,just like a few on this list that were taken after him much better.Was expecting more from him by this point.It could still happen but i think he'll only get marginally better.

But there is still hope i guess.

I dont know about that.

I wouldnt take any of the next 4 picks of this draft over Komisarek. You have to go 5 picks later to get a player that might/is worthy of an higher selection. I'm quite happy with Komisarek looking at those 4 players.

Pascal Leclaire -
Tuomo Ruutu -
Dan Blackburn -
Fredrik Sjostrom -

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Karlsson just signed with the Kings, isn't it? A little too soon for the bust status, but "slow development" would be acurate.

Foster was a gamble pick but this injury prone forward didn't pan out. I respect is dedicacy to this sport, always coming back after abdominal injuries, then concussion... and he doesn't want to give up his dream.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
The Viking Fury said:
Dave Steckel is not a bust. He's taken some time to develop but he is tearing it up and is a key, KEY factor in the AHL Bears' Calder Cup run. He has been a defensive wizard with Boyd Gordon and both could be shutdown guys for the Caps next year.
The idea that he is a bust comes from his name. :dunno: I can't say I remember him. :cry:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=00054471

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Belizarius said:
Karlsson just signed with the Kings, isn't it? A little too soon for the bust status, but "slow development" would be acurate.

Foster was a gamble pick but this injury prone forward didn't pan out. I respect is dedicacy to this sport, always coming back after abdominal injuries, then concussion... and he doesn't want to give up his dream.
I dunno...its been 5 years and i think that is plenty of time to gauge where a prospect should turn up (although with injuries its different of course). Call him a bust? I think its a fair call.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Belizarius said:

Not that I know of. I don't think that he did.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
ROOKIE CHARGERS said:
The idea that he is a bust comes from his name. :dunno: I can't say I remember him. :cry:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=00054471
I have to say, I didn't really notice Steckel until he stepped it up a notch in the playoffs. I assumed he was somewhere between "bust" and "carreer AHLer." He is easily the Bears' MVP with Cassivi (the Goalie) and Tomas Fleischmann (the flashy winger). I'm almost positive he will be on the caps out of training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->