Looking back at 06/07

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
What team would you rather have going into this years playoffs, with Paul MacLean as coach?

06/07
Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson
Schaefer-Fisher-Comrie
Vermette-Kelly-Neil
Saprykin-McAmmond-Eaves

Redden-Meszaros
Phillips-Volchenkov
Preissing-Corvo

Emery
Gerber

or

12/13
Conacher-Spezza-Michalek
Silfverberg-Turris-Alfredsson
Greening-Pageau-Condra
Smith-Zibanejad-Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Phillips-Gonchar
Cowen-Gryba

Anderson
Lehner

Sorry if lines not 100% accurate.

Last edited:

PinkPanther

Apr 5, 2007
What team would you rather have going into this years playoffs, with Paul MacLean as coach?

06/07
Schaefer-Fisher-Vermette
McAmmond-Kelly-Neil
Saprykin-Comrie-Eaves

Redden-Volchenkov
Phillips-Meszaros
Preissing-Corvo

Emery
Gerber

or

12/13
Conacher-Spezza-Michalek
Greening-Pageau-Condra
Smith-Zibanejad-Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Phillips-Gonchar
Cowen-Gryba

Anderson
Lehner

It was exactly 6 years ago today, May 19, 2007, that we beat Buffalo and made it to the finals............I remember it well. Too bad it won't happen this year :(

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
We know what the 07 team did. Blew by everyone in the East Playoffs. The current team has played a handful of games together completely healthy so we'll never know how good we could have been this year.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

06/07
Schaefer-Fisher-Vermette
McAmmond-Kelly-Neil
Saprykin-Comrie-Eaves

Redden-Volchenkov
Phillips-Meszaros
Preissing-Corvo

Emery
Gerber

or

12/13
Conacher-Spezza-Michalek
Greening-Pageau-Condra
Smith-Zibanejad-Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Phillips-Gonchar
Cowen-Gryba

Anderson
Lehner

CASH
Schaefer-Fisher-Comrie
Vermette-Kelly-Neil
Saprykin/Schubert-McAmmond-Eaves

Redden-Meszaros
Philchenkov
Preissing-Corvo

*** ;)

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
07 team had more top end firepower but less depth(although the bottom six produced in every series except the final), but especially it had more experience and veterans.

And come to think of it, other than that 4th line LW spot, it's amazing to consider that our lines pretty much stayed intact during the whole playoffs.

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
This is only the beginning for this year's group. But that '07 group was special. Until we do any better, I'll take that team over any we've had.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
05/06
Heatley - Spezza - Alfredsson
Vermette - Smolinski - Havlat
Schaefer - Fisher - Neil
Arnason - Kelly - Eaves

Chara - Phillips
Redden - Volchenkov
Pothier - Meszaros

Hasek
Emery

Last edited:

Buckleys

Jul 21, 2006
I think this years team is going to be better.

Also OP, only correction is Eaves didn't play much in the playoffs, he was the 13th forward I believe.

Schubert - McAmmond - Saprykin was the 4th line.

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
Oh we got the Lehner draft for him? Sweet.

I feel like we could get him from Pheonix somehow. Trade 9MM for him.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Oh we got the Lehner draft for him? Sweet.

I feel like we could get him from Pheonix somehow. Trade 9MM for him.

I like Vermette a lot, but I wouldn't do that trade. 9MM is better, when he's not injured, of course.

To the thread topic, I was actually thinking about something similar to this after the goal. Those 05-07 teams were incredibly talented, but they always won big... it never seemed they could win close games... either they were well out of reach at the end of the game, or they'd lose. While ago now, but that was always my impression...

This team seems the opposite... they will never blow you out, they'll just find a way to get the goal that's needed... how many times has it happened in the last two seasons??? Last minute goals to tie or win... going in down in the 3rd only to send it to OT???

I loved our dominant teams back then, but man was it frustrating to lose... these cardiac kids, it's just fun to see them win!!! You can never count them out!!!

I just love this team's resiliency and while at this point you'd probably have to choose the old Sens, I think this current group could well surpass them if not in skill, in tenacity and resilience.

That said, toss Craig Anderson behind the old group........ who knows......?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Way more depth in our current team, especially down the middle, but less talent

I think much more highly of this team even though the 06/07 was more feared

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
The 2007 team had multiple 30-point defenders, a deep centre corps, a prime Daniel Alfredsson and Dany Heatley and a Jason Spezza at the top of his game. We had quite good depth as well and Emery, while not playing spectacularly, played well enough to get us through three rounds.

We lost in the finals because, well, Hall of Famer Scott Niedermayer and Hall of Famer Chris Pronger, all-world Jean-Sebastien Giguere and Pahlsson & co. ground our skill forwards into dust.

The team we have now works hard, really hard, but it's severaly lacking in forward talent.
They are much harder to play against though, but at some point you need actual skill mixed with will to win a championship. That has yet to tbe done by this group.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Can I take 05/06?

If not, then the 06/07 team is better, mostly due to having more experience. If this team hits its potential, it's essentially one top line winger away from being 06/07 caliber.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think this years team is going to be better.

Also OP, only correction is Eaves didn't play much in the playoffs, he was the 13th forward I believe.

Schubert - McAmmond - Saprykin was the 4th line.

He was a fixture in the line-up until taking a blindside head-shot from Colby Armstrong in the first round if I remember correctly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad