Looking at the upcoming schedule and I think we will make the playoffs

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
wouldn't it just complete the Taylor Hall saga though if Buffalo beats Boston several times and the bruins miss the playoffs?

the mean part of me wants it for the schadenfreude
Thats why Buffalo sent him there. To sabotage them. He's gonna give them all the wrong info, and play horrific! Similar to how he has performed FOR them. Lol

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
I like your optimism. I don't see any reason why not making the playoffs is better than making the playoffs. Many teams in history limp in and win it all on the back of great goaltending, a hot streak of players or get the bounces. What if they limp in and play Washington whom they beat numerous times this year? Anything can happen when you get in. Nothin happens when yo don't. Worst case you pick 20 instead of 15 or whatever. The Rangers are in a place where they should expect to be a playoff team. The cupboards are stacked to the brim. Rebuild is pretty much over, with how much elite talent needs to get paid in the coming years anymore of it will cause a logjam.

It's certainly an uphill battle, I'd love to see the youngest team in the NHL make it interesting as they did last year. Should be a fun month of hockey for sure. I don't understand why people would rather lose under any circumstance. The players certainly play to win. I say win as many as you can.

Reactions: Peltz

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
We need to make up 4 points, at least, over the next 13 games. That is very possible.
True, but in a "perfect world".....we need to be 5 ahead, entering Boston series. Get a split, (as our reg. season is over.) Even if Boston wins their 2 remaining games.....it becomes irrelevant!

Do we really wanna "have to" sweep them? I prefer not to.

If we somehow end up tied in standings AFTER sweeping those 2 games, then season series is tied at 4. But we got an extra point because of an OTL. SO, is that the tiebreaker.?

Goal differential..... Boston 14, Rangers 13 thus far.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
True, but in a "perfect world".....we need to be 5 ahead, entering Boston series. Get a split, (as our reg. season is over.) Even if Boston wins their 2 remaining games.....it becomes irrelevant!

If we somehow end up tied in standings AFTER sweeping those 2 games, then season series is tied at 4. But we got an extra point because of an OTL. SO, is that the tiebreaker.?

Tie breakers are: ROW, Head to Head, then GD

Rangers are a +21 GD and Boston is only +5.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

First tie-breaker is regulation wins, and we are currently ahead of them by 1. Odds are, if we catch them on points, and then beat them twice in regulation, we are going to be ahead in RW. So we should hold the tie-breaker in the event we end with the same amount of points. But yes, it would be nice to have a little cushion and not need to beat them twice in regulation. I think the picture will become a lot clearer after this coming 4 games series against the Devils.

Reactions: duhmetreE

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
upload_2021-4-13_12-12-10.png

cwede

Sep 1, 2010

Tie breakers are: ROW, Head to Head, then GD
Rangers are a +21 GD and Boston is only +5.

its a longshot only gonna happen if if NYR reach/pass them quickly

if close, re head-to-head:
to date head-to-head
BB 8 pts in 6 games
NYR 5 pts in 6 games
so NYR would need to be close by May 6th,,
then sweep those 2 games(NYR final reg season games),
then root against Bruins in Boston's final 2 games
(vs NYI and Caps, who may be jockeying for seeding)

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I like your optimism. I don't see any reason why not making the playoffs is better than making the playoffs. Many teams in history limp in and win it all on the back of great goaltending, a hot streak of players or get the bounces. What if they limp in and play Washington whom they beat numerous times this year? Anything can happen when you get in. Nothin happens when yo don't. Worst case you pick 20 instead of 15 or whatever. The Rangers are in a place where they should expect to be a playoff team. The cupboards are stacked to the brim. Rebuild is pretty much over, with how much elite talent needs to get paid in the coming years anymore of it will cause a logjam.

It's certainly an uphill battle, I'd love to see the youngest team in the NHL make it interesting as they did last year. Should be a fun month of hockey for sure. I don't understand why people would rather lose under any circumstance. The players certainly play to win. I say win as many as you can.

I'm totally in the camp of let's get into the dance if we can rather than not so we can have a better draft pick.

As I mentioned in my previous post a few minutes ago....the rebuild for all intents and purposes is over. The foundation is set, the elite young talent is here ready to go to the next level. And we have more on the way.

Sure some more tinkering is needed but no draft pick we get is going to be more valuable than somehow by some miracle we got into the playoffs.

Now that said, we aren't getting in as the hill is to high to climb and we haven't played .666 or better hockey all season and thats what it's going to take to get in while Boston totally collapses with 6 games left with Buffalo and so I don't see how we will now all of a sudden turn the light switch on.

Anyways, like you say, play like your life depends upon it the last month and keep battling giving the kids the kind of experience they got last year down the stretch so that they get used to to this seeing for the next 10 years or so, this is the way it's going to be in Rangerland except beginning next year we'll already have secured playoff spot, it will be about seeding.

Reactions: MetalJaws

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Boston is 4 points ahead, with 2 games in hand and 6 byes (er, Buffalo games) remaining. Might want to look at Pittsburgh instead.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Actually, that is wrong. They play the ISLANDERS & WASHINGTON after our regular season is over. (Notice I didnt just say......after our season is over?
Oof didnt realize that, was that from the covid delays?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Boston is 4 points ahead, with 2 games in hand and 6 byes (er, Buffalo games) remaining. Might want to look at Pittsburgh instead.
Regardless they have a tougher schedule, the Pens have been playing well all year. Boston is injured, old and their goaltending is......well, "up in the air"? Haha
And a little closer to be reached.
Buffalo will hook us up with "at least 2 wins, maybe 3".

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Oof didnt realize that, was that from the covid delays?
Yes sir. Guess they rescheduled those games AFTER the season was supposed to be over, because they couldnt find a fair "squeeze a game in" on both schedules.

Imagine watching both those games rooting for the Caps and Isles as if they were the Rangers. Ironic, huh?

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
At this point consider me convinced. f*** the standings for picks. If needs be we'll trade up to get (Lucius).

The best thing for all the greenish rooks is to get some NHL playoff hockey in their face!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
next 4 games are against the Devils, need 4 straight wins no excuses whatsoever

then play the islanders 1 game, not impressed with the Islanders after this weekend's showing, we should win that one

then 2 straight against the flyers, a split would be acceptable

then 2 straight against the sabres, no excuses need both wins no matter what

then another 2 with the islanders, a split would be acceptable

then 2 against washington, getting 1 point out of both games would be ok

and then the final 2 games are against boston, and if boston is still holding on to the final spot with only a few
points of separation you have your destiny in your own hands, or by then we could of surpassed boston if we do
well with our games.

We'll see what happens but it looks pretty good.

Id rather not.

Then we have to "stay competitive" for an eventual 1st round exit instead of developing the yoots

While the playoff experience would be good, a playoff embarassment might not be the way to start.

The yoots are the ones keeping us competitive the last few games.

Heeyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
Give my regards to My Cousin Vinny.

I love NYR, but cant see them passing either Pens or Bruins.
Part of me prefers picking ~8th rather than ~14th, but will be keeping the faith til extinguished

long play is usually smarter, concur

===========================================

Unless we can actually win the Cup outright, the closest to having our cake and eating it too would be to go as far as possible without weakening our draft odds.

Not sure there is any way to do that if we actually get in.

With the improvement from the kids and return of Shesty we could make a good run.
However, while more competitive now than at season's start, a couple of the best clubs in either conference is likely too huge an Everest to climb.

Fire Quinn.
Bring back Knob
play these lines in this order to give most developmental mins

Kakko-Krav-Panarin
LaF-Chytil-Gauthier
Kreider-Zib-Blackwell
open tryouts 4th line

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
9-3-1 until Boston and then 2-0 against Boston for 11-3-1 finish to close the season.

OK,
lol yea. I don't want to say it's "impossible" but you're really banking on Buffalo, Devils and Islanders all being complete pushovers. The reality is that each of those teams, especially the Islanders, is capable of beating the Rangers on a given night if bounces don't go our way. If we were consistent, we'd have no losses against these teams. We aren't yet.

If the team stays healthy (a huge IF with COVID-19) and goaltending gets hot, maybe we could do it. But I definitely think the chances are like... under 25%.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019

I agree. I want them to make a run of it at least. I am not too worried about draft picks anymore. If the Rangers can't manage to build a playoff team with their assets and draft prospects as a winning organization at this stage then something must have gone terribly wrong. We just won the draft two years in a row and have a stacked pipeline of every position but center. And they'll make the necessary trades for that position this offseason.

The team is not lacking in assets at this point. It's time to start winning. After this next offseason, the rebuild is over.

Reactions: MetalJaws

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
We didn't pick up any points on Boston tonight, but we picked up a regulation win. We now have 17 and they have 15.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Its not our spot to win right now, its Bostons to lose.

However i think Caps would rather face off against Bruins than us in a BO7 considering we have had their numbers somewhat this season.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not worried about the Flyers who are in free fall but Boston just has to play .500 hockey the rest of the way and I think they are in. Them having 2 games in hand also makes it tougher. Not impossible but the Rangers are going to have to be near perfect the rest of the way to have a chance.

All I know is I am happy to be scoreboard watching and it’s not for tank lottery purposes. Lol

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Where would this team be if all the crazy shit didn't happened earlier in the season with ADA, No Panarin, Zibs Covid start, Covid protocols, losing Chytil , Igor & Trouba, etc. ?

Every team has to deal with adversity and injuries, etc, but that was unprecedented and extreme. Having Panarin and a regular Zib for another 10 games would have them currently above Boston imho.

Its crazy that they are currently 15th in the standings league wide with a top 10 differential but out of the playoffs. They would currently be in a playoff spot in two other divisions

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
IF BB play just slightly above .500 until 2 games w NYR,
NYR still need a strong run

[These ##s do not consider tie-breaks, only outright more points]

today
BB 22-12-6 40 games 50 points
NYR 20-16-6 42 games 46 points

BB 16 games remaining - 12 games before the 2 vs NYR
NYR- 12 games before final 2 vs BOS

IF BB go just 2 over .500 in those 12, they'd have 52 games 64 points

in above case, For NYR to enter those 2 games
(a) with spot locked up (need 27 points of 24)- impossible
(b) ahead by 5 points, so if swept still ahead, they'd need 21 points out of 24 -
(c) in position to pass w sweep: need 15 points out of 24
(d) in position to clinch w sweep - need 17 of 24 points
(e) to NOT be already eliminated entering those games - need 14 of 24 points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad