Sportsnet: Looking at the NHL’s top eight buyout candidates in 2018

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Not a chance on Spezza and he is a likely candidate for a bounceback year, doubtful on Staal, at least for this season. I also can't imagine Melynk agreeing to pay Gaborik to sit at home lol

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Melynk must have approved the Dion Phaneuf trade to the Kings since the Senators retained 25% of his contract for the next 2 years.

And that in itself was pretty surprising to me. I think they'd try to milk as much as they possibly can out of Gaborik but we'll see

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Even though 1/2 of Hfboards is aware that Lucic's contract is buyout proof, I was expecting to see him on this list.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Absolutely no reason for the Rangers to buy out Staal. Cap is not an issue this year. Unless there is some plan to sign Tavares and Kovalchuk then trade for Karlsson thatI am not aware of....

Surprised Ryan Callahan isn’t on this list

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Why the hell would Spezza be bought out when Dallas probably could put him on waivers and find a team willing to bite. Beyond that if nobody bites at 100% of his salary just offer to pay a percentage of his salary and at some point somebody will bite

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Matt Moulson
Zach Bogosian
Jason Pominville
Nathan Beaulieu

Absolutely no reason for Buffalo to buy out any of those guys. None of your core players need new contracts this year, 3/4 of those guys are off the books next year with Bogosian the year after that, and Moulson is already buried in the minors, you have plenty of cap space, and your team won't be competitive this year anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad