Looking ahead - The 2019-20 roster thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I feel you. I don't know. Something about it just feels wrong to me. Not exactly a convincing argument

If it makes you feel any better, he is probably signing with the Rangers. Our only chance is if we hire Quenneville in my opinion.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How screwed are we for the expansion draft?

We are going to lose a good player. No doubt about it. If we sign Panarin, we will probably end up going 7-3-1 and losing a defensemen we don't want to lose or making a deal to protect one of them. I could see us making a deal for Seattle to not select Myers and instead take Voracek or JVR.

Protected List

Giroux
Panarin
Couturier
Patrick
Konecny
Lindblom
JVR or Voracek*

Provorov
Sanheim
Ghost

Hart

*Asset traded to Seattle so that they select one of JVR or Voracek instead of Myers.

If we don't sign Panarin, we can go 4-4-1..

Giroux
Couturier
Patrick
Konecny

Provorov
Sanheim
Ghost
Myers

Hart

Seattle selects whoever they want from Unprotected List.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
If it makes you feel any better, he is probably signing with the Rangers. Our only chance is if we hire Quenneville in my opinion.
I feel like that’s just about money and location if he signed with NYR, I agree with you if Q came here Panarin could swing more to signing here, I mean honestly I think Voracek for Seguin would be sweet, I think Seguin with G is way more productive then Voracek with G, shit at this point package Simmer and Voracek for Seguin, I may be slighted right now but I don’t know I like it

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I feel like that’s just about money and location if he signed with NYR, I agree with you if Q came here Panarin could swing more to signing here, I mean honestly I think Voracek for Seguin would be sweet, I think Seguin with G is way more productive then Voracek with G, **** at this point package Simmer and Voracek for Seguin, I may be slighted right now but I don’t know I like it

I just can't see Dallas trading their 1C for an older playmaking winger without a major add going back their way.

Dallas would want Patrick back, and rightfully so.

If they decide to go full rebuild, we may be able to build the package around Frost instead.

Reactions: Domino666

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
The team is in last place in the division and has been named thru statistical analysis the most mediocre team in professional sports the last 5 years and you are worried who the Flyers will lose in an expansion draft two years from now?

We only lose one player, correct?

I don't see how that means we're screwed in a monumental way.

Worst case scenario they'll be forced to trade a 1st to prevent Seattle from taking a valuable young player. I don't see how that's going to ruin the team. It hurts but i'm worried about building a contending team than worrying about the expansion draft.

Reactions: Rebels57

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The only thing holding back TK's production is his usage. He is producing at a 1st line rate at 5v5.
Usage is part of it, but he's not, and has never really been, effective on the PP. Ranks 170 out of 171 for forwards with 300+ minutes of PP time over the last 3 seasons. He scores at a better clip 5v5 than he does on the PP. That's absurd.

If you don't put up points at a good clip on the PP, it's hard to rack up the gaudy numbers.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Usage is part of it, but he's not, and has never really been, effective on the PP. Ranks 170 out of 171 for forwards with 300+ minutes of PP time over the last 3 seasons. He scores at a better clip 5v5 than he does on the PP. That's absurd.

If you don't put up points at a good clip on the PP, it's hard to rack up the gaudy numbers.

And hes been horribly misused on a completely dysfunctional PP2. He should be on the Left wall or in the slot, not on his off-wing where his options are limited. Put TK in a better spot on a functional unit and he would produce.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
And hes been horribly misused on a completely dysfunctional PP2. He should be on the Left wall or in the slot, not on his off-wing where his options are limited. Put TK in a better spot on a functional unit and he would produce.
I think he's most comfortable on the right side anyway. Guys can still be effective on the PP playing their strong side. Look at Toronto.

And he did get a pretty decent look on PP1 this year and didn't do anything with it. TK excels off of the rush which is why he has great rate stats 5v5. He struggles when things slow down. This isn't exclusive to his time in the NHL either. He wasn't a great PP producer in the OHL either.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think TK would do best on the PP in a role where he doesn't have to touch the puck much, like the slot. I'll let that speak for itself.

It's impressive how the 3 young players QBing PP2 are all total messes with the puck QBing PPs. Not exactly shocking the unit can't do anything or even get set up. At least Patrick has a future as a plus PP1 net front and TK can maybe play the bumper role. The other guy doesn't have anywhere else to go role-wise, and he's a stone cold lock.

Reactions: Rebels57

cymbalizm

Feb 7, 2017
SP, NJ
I think he's most comfortable on the right side anyway. Guys can still be effective on the PP playing their strong side. Look at Toronto.

And he did get a pretty decent look on PP1 this year and didn't do anything with it. TK excels off of the rush which is why he has great rate stats 5v5. He struggles when things slow down. This isn't exclusive to his time in the NHL either. He wasn't a great PP producer in the OHL either.

TK's tricky because he (and the other young players, just because that's how the game is developing) is always moving, and the flyers powerplay has been about as close to stationary as you can be, which has worked for years, but seems like it's really failing hard now. Too predictable, too easy to defend ghost's shot from the middle of the blue line. Wouldn't hate to see a complete shift in powerplay philosophy, but obviously that's hard and probably way beyond this group of coaches. Haven't been watching too many games closely but I like what I've seen from Sanheim's approach on PP2. Kind of just a fifth guy that has freedom to move into space and actually be creative, even if it's not quite prime space. I guess my point is (lol), Konecny is a very good player, and it shouldn't be hard to get him a couple booster points on the man advantage

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I have no clue with the players available how they have not tried the "old" Richards/Briere/Pronger PP set-up.

It seems ideal for the skill-sets of the guys not on PP1.

Patrick - Konecny - Lindblom
Provorov - Sanheim

If they insist on Provy on PP. He might be ok in the Timonen role, where literally just a facilitator and Sanheim the blue-line threat.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have no clue with the players available how they have not tried the "old" Richards/Briere/Pronger PP set-up.

It seems ideal for the skill-sets of the guys not on PP1.

Patrick - Konecny - Lindblom
Provorov - Sanheim

If they insist on Provy on PP. He might be ok in the Timonen role, where literally just a facilitator and Sanheim the blue-line threat.

Because of a complete lack of creativity by the coaching staff for years now.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'd actually be upset if Provorov got $6.5 mil after this season. Given precedent and comparables and whatnot, he was maybe barely worth that if he had a similar season to last. And it was still on the side of hype more than on-ice value. But I mean it was better than the $7.5-8 mil numbers floated left and right.

But he should have no negotiating high ground right now to get one of the biggest 2nd d-man contracts in recent memory. His negotiating high ground is basically: "Flyers homegrown d-man" and "role." Look at what one bad contract year did to Ghost, and I'd argue his bad year wasn't as bad as this one besides luck.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I keep hoping that the silver lining to this horrible year is Provorov and Konecny sign long term deals well below what their true potential and prior season repeated would dictate.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
$67,198,333 cap hit for 11 F, 7D, 2 G. Weise buried in the AHL.

Just under $16m in cap space to fill three roster spots.

JVR-Giroux-Konecny(5)
Lindblom-Couturier-Voracek
Laughton(3)-Patrick-
NAK(0.75)-Vorobyev-Bailey(0.75)

Provorov(6.5)-Sanheim(3)
Ghost-Gudas
Morin-Hagg
MacDonald

Hart
Stolarz(1)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Only $16M, and less going forward?
Forget that big money FA, $11M would put them near the cap for the next decade and might force a trade at some point.

2019-20:
G - Couts - Voracek
Lindblom - Patrick - TK
JVR - Frost - ????
Laughton - ??? - NAK/Bailey

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Gudas
Morin - Myers

Not sold on Vorobyev at this point, like his vision and passing, but his skating and forechecking?
Bunnaman might challenge him, too bad Rubtsov got hurt, he'd be ideal.

If Farabee is physically ready (which I think will decide if they encourage him to go pro), then G moves to RW with JVR on the 1st line, Voracek on the 2nd line, TK with Frost and Farabee on a "kids" line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->